Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 7 Episode 5 "Eastwatch" - "Non book readers"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Nice to see Kevin Eldon has survived this long. Well, had survived... :D

Liam Cunningham must be slipping the script writers brown envelopes, he seems to be getting all the best lines these days. Although they did call him old a number of times in this ep :pac:

'Nothing fúcks you harder than time'.

Nice scene between Gendry and Jon Snow, their relationship looks like it will echo Robert & Ned's friendship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Jorah helped load a box into one of the boats. I assumed that's what it contained.

I would assume it was already loaded onto the ship before they left. But if that box was the sum of all their work in the mine, it's either the hardest material to mine or it was them spending all their time drawing on the cave walls.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I would assume it was already loaded onto the ship before they left. But if that box was the sum of all their work in the mine, it's either the hardest material to mine or it was them spending all their time drawing on the cave walls.
    Doubtless. But having a shot of a box of something being loaded carefully would be designed to answer the question the poster asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Doubtless. But having a shot of a box of something being loaded carefully would be designed to answer the question the poster asked.

I think it was fairly implicit and didn't need to called out. They spoke with about it a couple of weeks ago, they've been mining the stuff for months. They're hardly just going to sail off without it ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Subacio wrote: »
    Seems to me that the dragon got the whiff of Targaryen from Jon Snow.
    Going by the long, lingering looks exchanged between Daeny and Jon over the last 2 episodes, i'd be surprised if drogon didn't get the whiff of Daeny from Jon's fingers...☺
    ...her heart cries "Jorah" but her loins yearn to be filled with Snow.

The romantic angle and the somewhat rivalry between Ser and Snow annoyed me, as did the miraculous escape of bronn and jaime (who entered the lake by drogon and emerged a few hundred metres away) but those 2 aside, i liked the episode. LF is playing the antagonism Arya has for Sansa but i'd prefer if they revealed his manipulation later.

I think it was fairly implicit and didn't need to called out. They spoke with about it a couple of weeks ago, they've been mining the stuff for months. They're hardly just going to sail off without it ffs.
    I replied to a question another poster asked. Maybe there were pop tarts in the box. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The look on Dany's face when Jon didn't agree how beautiful her babies were was hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

My only quibble is Ser Jorah calling Dany Your Grace rather than Khaleesi.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

I don't understand this viewpoint. Jon beheaded Janos Slynt for refusing an order and hanged a child for 'murder'. Dany executes a treasonous lord who refused to submit or take the black and she's the bad guy?

Treasonous? She's an invader. It wasn't normal in medieval and ancient times to execute nobles, exile was far more common. Dany is Stalin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Unshelved

The Actor, Kevin Eldon - again? A bit careless using a well-known face in two different roles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Unshelved wrote: »
    The Actor, Kevin Eldon - again? A bit careless using a well-known face in two different roles.

IMDb has him credited as the same character, Camello. So I guess he gave up the acting after all that debacle with people trying to get each other knocked off, and went with the safer profession of soldiering.

When he saw Tyrion he should have said "you look a bit like someone I used to work with".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Unshelved

When he saw Tyrion he should have said "you look a bit like someone I used to work with".

Actually - that would have been deadly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Jon Snow brings back a live "wight" which is a case of another massively high-risk maneouvre.

A bit odd how everyone in Dany's council immediately agreed this was the way to go. I'm wondering how this will work in practice. Will they throw a net over one, stick it in a box and drag it south? What happens if it 'dies' en route?

marcus001 wrote: »
    Treasonous? She's an invader. It wasn't normal in medieval and ancient times to execute nobles, exile was far more common. Dany is Stalin.
    An invader who has a claim on the throne by birth. As for exiling treasonous lords instead of executing them, you should probably read up on the wars of the roses (on which GRRM has said he's based his books). There were executions aplenty during that period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Its a pity the books weren't finished when the series started. That way, they could have avoided all the filler in previous seasons and the need to rush now.

I think it was always going to be hard for that episode after last week.

Glad to see Sam leave the Citadel. Was getting tired of that story line. Wouldn't mind seeing the White Walkers get hold of him and Gilly.

As for the magical teleportation, I'd prefer that to the long drawn out travel sequences which often went nowhere of previous seasons. We know the characters now. There's no need for backstory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Drogon knows lads, Drogon F**king Knows!!!

That scene gave me the feels. Didn't like how the scene with Gilly revealing the annulment of Rhaegars marriage was glossed over and how the hell she wouldn't just pick out Lyanna Starks name. They better revisit that script or I'll be rightly pissed. Couldn't care about the fast traveling. Nice to see them moving the story along. They have no choice, they've only two episodes left.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Glad to see Sam leave the Citadel. Was getting tired of that story line. Wouldn't mind seeing the White Walkers get hold of him and Gilly.

This bit gets 7 thumbs up from me. The more gruesome the death, the better...

Not gonna happen.

Not gonna happen.
    He might have a nerd fight with Bran in Winterfell. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

marcus001 wrote: »

At least she's stopped crucifying people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Drogon knows lads, Drogon F**king Knows!!!

That scene gave me the feels. Didn't like how the scene with Gilly revealing the annulment of Rhaegars marriage was glossed over and how the hell she wouldn't just pick out Lyanna Starks name. They better revisit that script or I'll be rightly pissed. Couldn't care about the fast traveling. Nice to see them moving the story along. They have no choice, they've only two episodes left.

Well it proves that the information has been recorded so I'd imagine it will get out.
    Not gonna happen.

More's the pity. Old Tarly was right - he and Dickon gave more entertainment in a few episodes than poor Sam has in a few seasons.

Littlefinger must be on borrowed time though. Met him a couple of weeks ago in Ikea - a Hollywood actor isn't shopping there unless he's out of work!

Lemlin wrote: »
    Littlefinger must be on borrowed time though. Met him a couple of weeks ago in Ikea - a Hollywood actor isn't shopping there unless he's out of work!
    He may have been looking for this:
    DRAGON series
    Cutlery that stands the test of time
    A classic design that suits all kinds of dinnerware and all types of occasions,
    the DRAGON cutlery series is sure to be a frequent guest at your table. And
    you don’t have to worry about it wearing out from so much use – it’s made
    of durable stainless steel.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Very fast yes however I can imagine a few bits that people are harking on to see, we will be here for 10 years if you want to see all that.

My fav bit was the reference to social media about Gendry still rowing his boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Danny could easily end up being the bug villain, she's roasting people now ala the mad king

Lets not forget she has been cruel before, burning unsullied master and killing all masters in astapor.

Not to mention the qarth king and her handmaiden she locked them both to die in a room with no way out. Harsh

There is definitely potential for it anyway.

Also remember as old fat ass grr said himself got will end bittersweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

How the hell did tyrion know Jaime didn't drown???

pah wrote: »
    Only one way to find out. Other than spies of course.

Jamie and Bronn are extremely good at holding their breath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Maybe he contacted Bronn but it wasn't shown?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Varys of course. Unless were now to assume he is now completely redundant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Excellent nod to the fans here.

Ser Davos to Gendry,'Thought you might still be rowing' :D

And yes, Liam is getting some very good lines. Second week in a row a line aimed at the fans.

Well he survived falling into deep water with his hands bound himself so naturally he assumed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I'm not really one to question things too much, but if the armour was so heavy that Jaime couldn't swim himself how was Bronn able to drag him the whole way across that pond

Also why didn't Daenerys go looking for him after to take him as a prisoner of war? He'd be a serious bargaining tool with Cersei

Also why didn't Daenerys go looking for him after to take him as a prisoner of war? He'd be a serious bargaining tool with Cersei

Because Nobody told Dany about the plot armour :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Excellent nod to the fans here.

Ser Davos to Gendry,'Thought you might still be rowing'

And yes, Liam is getting some very good lines. Second week in a row a line aimed at the fans.

Someone please explain this to me

Gendry, who was shaping up to be a really important character disappeared from the Series, last seen rowing a boat. There were fan images of him and other characters on SS something Something that had disappeared for a while.

RE Liam, last week's 'fewer' remark was for the audience and not for the benefit of the person he was talking to. Too much is not a good thing, but at least they are breaking the 4th wall with the same character, and not everybody is doing it.

When last seen, Gendry was escaping the clutches of Melisandre and Stannis in a boat supplied by Davos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Jamie's redemption arc makes literally zero sense at this point. He's willing to die on this hill with Cersei even though he knows it's a sinking ship. She did the thing he killed the mad king for and they don't even discuss it. He makes absolutely no sense as a character anymore. I wouldn't even miss him if he'd been killed off in the last episode (which by rights he and Bronn should have). And him and Cersei babbling about "what father would have done" is laughable considering "father" would have knocked the both of them on their arses over their activities together. The only high point to their interactions at this point is that Lena Headey is a terrific actress.

The Arya and Littlefinger thing has the potential to be good and earlier in the series it probably would have played out over a season and would have been more compelling that way, but because they've left it so bloody late to get things properly moving, it's being rushed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Whats the reason for only seven episodes in the last two seasons anyway?

It definitely feels rushed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

"... And the big woman?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Danny could easily end up being the bug villain, she's roasting people now ala the mad king

Lets not forget she has been cruel before, burning unsullied master and killing all masters in astapor.

Not to mention the qarth king and her handmaiden she locked them both to die in a room with no way out. Harsh

There is definitely potential for it anyway.

Also remember as old fat ass grr said himself got will end bittersweet

She has been cruel before but to people who deserved it.

I thought the scene with the Lannister army showed she has changed since she freed the unsullied. The interpreter girl made a passionate speech to Jon Snow & Ser Davos in an earlier episode about how all those who sailed with her chose to sail with her and they were not slaves.

She treated the Lannister army so differently. She did not give them an option.

PressRun wrote: »
    She did the thing he killed the mad king for and they don't even discuss it. He makes absolutely no sense as a character anymore.
    The mad king was going to obliterate Kings Landing in its entirety. Not just some cultists in a Sept with most of her enemies thrown in. There was a method there, not blind madness.

Do we know where Euron is at right now? If he was mentioned last night I missed it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Do we know where Euron is at right now? If he was mentioned last night I missed it...

Last we saw he was laying seige to Casterly Rock with the Unsullied inside.. haven't heard since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

The mad king was going to obliterate Kings Landing in its entirety. Not just some cultists in a Sept with most of her enemies thrown in. There was a method there, not blind madness.

Civilians were killed in the explosion. She also killed their only remaining allies.
    There is a parallel in what she did and what the mad king wanted to do and Jamie killed the mad king. His blind allegiance to Cersei when she appears as mad as anyone at this point makes no sense in his redemption arc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

The thing is the problem for Danny is the fact shes essentially using weapons of mass destruction to win the war, like anyone who uses weapons of mass destruction shes coming across as bad as its frowned upon and looks barbaric, at the moment shes holding back and only using the dragons against the army.

Using them for executions makes her look terrible and will do nothing for her.

PressRun wrote: »
    Civilians were killed in the explosion. She also killed their only remaining allies.
    There is a parallel in what she did and what the mad king wanted to do and Jamie killed the mad king. His blind allegiance to Cersei when she appears as mad as anyone at this point makes no sense in his redemption arc.
    There's only a similarity in the weapon used. There was no madness in the 'burn them all' sense. It was a ruthless pre-meditated plan to rid herself of her enemies in one fell swoop. The mad king just wanted to take everyone with him. It may not have been the cleverest plan, but she got the throne and that's hard to argue with.

I certainly don't see madness in it. Desperation, ruthlessnes and cunning definitely.

I certainly don't see madness in it. Desperation, ruthlessnes and cunning definitely.

Yes, if she did it because she heard the voice of her dead father egging her on okay, otherwise she's just ruthless. Likeable, no.

The thing is the problem for Danny is the fact shes essentially using weapons of mass destruction to win the war, like anyone who uses weapons of mass destruction shes coming across as bad as its frowned upon and looks barbaric, at the moment shes holding back and only using the dragons against the army.

Using them for executions makes her look terrible and will do nothing for her.

What would you have her do? Release the soldiers so they could make their way to KL to pick up spears and fight her army there again? She could have demoralised them further and sent them to KL, to show she is not as cruel or ruthless as cersei but daeny is losing the war. Of course she is going to harden.

but daeny is losing the war.

Are you watching the same programme as I am ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement