Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 7 Episode 5 "Eastwatch" - "Book readers"

• 11-08-2017 10:26pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Note anything after this post may contain spoilers for the episode; do not read or open this thread until you have watched the whole episode!!!

This is ONLY about the specific episode! No information from any other source but listed below are allowed to be posted but book related information is allowed as well as the lore from the DVDs. Anything relating to interviews or articles directly related to this episode can be posted with a spoiler tag.

The "Next Episode" and any speculation on what may come in the future episodes should be put in the appropriate Season 7 speculation thread; any funny pictures from the episode should be posted in this thread until Wednesday rather than the funny picture thread.

In addition anyone picking up 3 yellow cards will be banned from the forum for the current season; in case of serious enough transgressions the ban may come earlier than 3 cards.

Thread will be unlocked on Sunday evening.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Here we go!

No. No no no no no. He was sinking to the depths. ****ing explain it properly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Surprised Dickon is gone so quickly, thought he was recast for a bigger role.

I thought they were going to get eaten for a second, which would have been terrifying.

I really hope Gendry's angle here is an invention of Benioff and Weiss rather than GRRM. Clumsy, cheesy and forced.

• Advertisement

Aaaaannnnd there it is. Annulment and remarriage. Go on Bran, go take a proper look in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

I genuinely thought Sam was going to stop mid-rant and ask Gilly to repeat what she'd just said when she mentioned Rhaegar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Davos to Gendry "I thought you might still be rowing"
    Didn't we all Davos. Didn't we all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭as_mo_bhosca

Davos to Gendry "I thought you might still be rowing"
    Didn't we all Davos. Didn't we all.

I actually laughed out loud at that line thinking of boards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

What a great entourage of characters Jon has with him beyond the wall...

• Advertisement

What a great entourage of characters Jon has with him beyond the wall...

S02E11-DYH5tsje-subtitled.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Ya now what, never thought I'd say this but **** Ayra in this episode. She pissed me right off- what did she expect Sansa to do?!
    Also I'm guessing this is the letter she "found"- (LF the shnake)

I genuinely thought Sam was going to stop mid-rant and ask Gilly to repeat what she'd just said when she mentioned Rhaegar.

Infairness, why would he care if Rheagars marriage got annulled? Like we (the viewer) wanted to know more but to Sam it means nothing

The Gendry stuff was tad cheesy at times but fook it, still enjoyed it.

Poor Dickon, wish he just knelt- also Varys doesn't seem all too impressed with with Dany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Was just thinking what name you could give Jon Snow's crew matching beyond the wall. I was thinking something like The Magnificent B*stards which is a play on the Magnificent Seven.

Now I realize they're not all all b*stards but.... Jon Snow and Gendry speak for themselves. Jorah was exiled, and he dishonored his family. Tormund is a Wildling, and the Brotherhood Without Banners are just rebels now with no real family ties anymore. The Hound doesn't care about his family, and Beric doesn't seem to either. Anyway Magnificent B*stards seems right to me.

wp_rathead wrote: »

Infairness, why would he care if Rheagars marriage got annulled? Like we (the viewer) wanted to know more but to Sam it means nothing

Because he's a scholarly man and would understand the significance of the event, and the fact that the wars and reigns that had shaped the realm for 20 odd years arose from a misunderstanding of the facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

It was a dumb episode in many ways, it's a dumb plan. There are so many easier, more obvious ways to get a wight than risking the lives of all my favourite characters give or take.
    And even contemplating trusting Cersei? Tyrion has been so disappointing as hand.

I still loved it though, just for all the character interactions. Jon and Drogon, Gendry, BWB, Jorah.

Davos continues to be great.

Tyrion - Last time i was here i killed my father with a crossbow.

Davos - Last time i was here you killed my son with wild-fire.

It's all happening too fast really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Its been mentioned already about the speed but going to and back from kingslanding in one episode is a load of balls - it'd have taken 3 episodes at least u to season 5.

I also hate the sight of too many good characters going beyond they wall - they aint all coming back thats for sure!!!

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Was just thinking what name you could give Jon Snow's crew matching beyond the wall. I was thinking something like The Magnificent B*stards which is a play on the Magnificent Seven.

Now I realize they're not all all b*stards but.... Jon Snow and Gendry speak for themselves. Jorah was exiled, and he dishonored his family. Tormund is a Wildling, and the Brotherhood Without Banners are just rebels now with no real family ties anymore. The Hound doesn't care about his family, and Beric doesn't seem to either. Anyway Magnificent B*stards seems right to me.

The Inglorious and the Bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Good episode, set up a lot for next week. What did the scroll that Ayra read say?

Kunkka wrote: »
    Good episode, set up a lot for next week. What did the scroll that Ayra read say?

It was the one Cersei made Sansa write in season 1, begging Robb to bend the knee to Joffrey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭Daith

wp_rathead wrote: »

Agreed and I think this means that really the line of succession stuff (Jon being the true King, etc) is largely meaningless. Jon being half Stark/Targ is important though.

Other notes

Why didn't Dany/Tyrion point out that Dany was born in Westeros? That Randyll served her father? Odd omission.

Dany didn't raise an eyebrow when Tyrion mentioned Jaime. Did Tyrion not tell Dany it was Jaime that was trying to kill her?

Tyrion breaking down and saying he didn't want to be born that way was heartbreaking. In a season of action and fast moving plot, this was a nice scene and very old school.

Nice to see Christian Bale appear! Loved the Gendry/Jon/Robert/Nedd similarities.

Ghost gets mentioned! Kinda like that he's just chilling out in Winterfell instead of dying next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I wonder what bearing Cersei's pregnancy will carry, given she can't be much more than 2-3 months along. Will the chronological storyline cover another 6-8 months?

I thought it was a good episode all in, set up a good bit of stuff.

The final few defiant Lannisters bending the knee when the Tarleys went down was a good moment imo, Dany isn't the ruler she wants to be, yet anyways.

Is Jon the first person aside from Dany to touch Drogon? That's definitely going to be referred back to when the truth about Jon's lineage comes out.

Is Jon the first person aside from Dany to touch Drogon? That's definitely going to be referred back to when the truth about Jon's lineage comes out.

Fairly sure one of Dany's handmaidens picked Drogon up before? I do think Dany saw more to it than that with Jon though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Sam missing the annulment mention especially seeing as it happened in Dorne perhaps an ode to the Dornish master plan, plot thickens too Gendry and Jon sharing tales of their fathers wonder will it be so amicable when the story turns to the battle of the Trident. Bronn is an absolute beast, Davos too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

One question I have is whete does Sam go next, no one has told him of his father and brother being burnt alive, odds are he didn't take the bowel movement diary so he won't have the written record obviously Bran was there in spirit at Jon's birth but Sam had proof the birth was legitimate so Jon as grandson of Aerys supercedes Dany as he would be next in line as a son of the Prince next in line. All depends if George RR follows right of ascendsion rules or has made up his own.

Daith wrote: »
    Why didn't Dany/Tyrion point out that Dany was born in Westeros? That Randyll served her father? Odd omission.

I was waiting for that too but two thoughts maybe. Potentially arguable that Westeros refers only to the mainland continent. Secondly, she was off to Pentos as soon as she was born.

I was waiting for that too but two thoughts maybe. Potentially arguable that Westeros refers only to the mainland continent. Secondly, she was off to Pentos as soon as she was born.

I think it would just have screwed the whole "foreign invader" aspect they were going for. Randyll probably got bored of bending the knee again. He's the anti-Jon Snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

ardinn wrote: »
    Its been mentioned already about the speed but going to and back from kingslanding in one episode is a load of balls - it'd have taken 3 episodes at least u to season 5.
    It took one episode for Ned to get from Winterfell to Kings Landing in season one. Maybe you just didn't realise it was so far back then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

ardinn wrote: »
    Its been mentioned already about the speed but going to and back from kingslanding in one episode is a load of balls - it'd have taken 3 episodes at least u to season 5

Honest question, what would you prefer they do instead? Show them plodding along?

This isn't a series of 24.

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Honest question, what would you prefer they do instead? Show them plodding along?

This isn't a series of 24.
    +1. It would be weird to slow the pace down, having nice character building chat scenes over beers and endless shots of different characters en route to wherever it is they're going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

The Fellowship of the Wight

The Seven Pointed Stars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

The Outkasts :pac:

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Good episode overall.

I think the Gendry explanation is a bit thin. It has been years since he was sent off rowing, are they really saying absolutely nobody noticed that the guy who makes really good swords and armor was back in Kings Landing?

awec wrote: »
    Good episode overall.

I think the Gendry explanation is a bit thin. It has been years since he was sent off rowing, are they really saying absolutely nobody noticed that the guy who makes really good swords and armor was back in Kings Landing?
    Who's left who knows who he actually is? He left Kings Landing years ago and with only a handful of people ever having met him. Ned was one, but he's dead. I'm struggling to think of anyone who both knew what he looked like and knew who his father was.

I must have missed Sam seeing something about Jon's heritage. Can someone enlighten me please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭DeadHand

awec wrote: »

It's been almost non stop warfare since then so Kings Landing is likely packed to the rafters with guys who make really good swords and armour. Populations are transient during times of war with tons of people seeking refuge in the big city. I doubt anyone raised an eyebrow at yet another random, itinerant young man showing up seeking shelter/work.

It's all related to Sansa's "everyone who knows what he looked like is dead" line about Ned. People who are instantly recognisable to viewers and may have, to varying degrees and in their own ponds, been somewhat famous (Gendry, Arya, Davos, even Tyrion) are now total strangers to the in-world general public. Time and life moves on swiftly in the world of GOT.

Plus, in a medieval society such as that GOT is set in, it's likely that the vast bulk of people lived their entire lives without ever knowing what their Lords, Ladies and other important figures look like.

Even Tyrion, who most be a figure of near folklore (the self-proclaimed "most famous dwarf in the world") at this stage with an appearance as distinctive as it gets is not instantly recognisably to the guards at KL.

If people can't even recognise Tyrion there's no way they're going to recognise Gendry.

I'm OK with that. A gold handed, exhausted man in heavy armour escaping deep water on the other hand....

I must have missed Sam seeing something about Jon's heritage. Can someone enlighten me please?
    Gilly reading about "Ragger" Targaryen's annullment and re-marriage.

Gilly reading about "Ragger" Targaryen's annullment and re-marriage.

I purposely zone out every time she talks. :eek: Thank you!

DeadHand wrote: »
    It's been almost non stop warfare since then so Kings Landing is likely packed to the rafters with guys who make really good swords and armour. Populations are transient during times of war with tons of people seeking refuge in the big city. I doubt anyone raised an eyebrow at yet another random, itinerant young man showing up seeking shelter/work.
    It's also his relevance. Back when he rowed away, he was a direct threat to Joffrey's succession. Stannis was openly declaring Joffrey to be Jaime's bastard son, so if that had taken hold and a bastard son of Robert's had appeared when the succession was in such a state of flux, the whole house of cards could have come crashing down.

Cersei has the throne now and no amount of Baratheon bastards can depose her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

So if Rhaegar got an annulment and he and Lyanna legitimately married that now confirms John is the rightful heir to the iron throne

• Advertisement

Brego888 wrote: »
    So if Rhaegar got an annulment and he and Lyanna legitimately married that now confirms John is the rightful heir to the iron throne

Yes. I fully expect a Bran flashback to confirm it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Brego888 wrote: »

And more than likely confirms Dany as the main heel of the story. I expect a big turn in season 8.

I think too much being made of Jon's Targaryen heritage and legitimacy. He is Ned's son in all but blood. He has no interest in ruling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Yes. I fully expect a Bran flashback to confirm it.

Would be brilliant to actually see Rhaegar in the show.

I think too much being made of Jon's Targaryen heritage and legitimacy. He is Ned's son in all but blood. He has no interest in ruling.

Agreed. The start of the books make a big deal about succession and claim to the throne. I don't think it's going to be as big a factor as people think with Jon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭MrsFlushdraw

Daith wrote: »
    Agreed. The start of the books make a big deal about succession and claim to the throne. I don't think it's going to be as big a factor as people think with Jon.

Might be more of an effect on Dany though as she has always bleated on about being the last Targ etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I thought it odd that there was no mention between Jon and Jorah Mormont about Longclaw. It would have been nice to see Jon offer it back but have Jorah refuse and accept Jon as the owner of the blade.
    But they could have at least mentioned it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

And yet every step of the way he has been convinced to rule despite initially not wanting the task...

I thought it odd that there was no mention between Jon and Jorah Mormont about Longclaw. It would have been nice to see Jon offer it back but have Jorah refuse and accept Jon as the owner of the blade.
    But they could have at least mentioned it.

Yes I thought that too.

Did anyone else get a buzz out of Gendry and his hammer? Deadly shoutout to the Robert of old who crushed Rhaegor's head on the trident.

Yes I thought that too.

Did anyone else get a buzz out of Gendry and his hammer? Deadly shoutout to the Robert of old who crushed Rhaegor's head on the trident.

I thought it was ridiculous. He was a bastard apprentice smith in a boat who knew bugger all of his heritage. Next thing you know he's out looking to avenge "his father" and is a competent warrior.

• Advertisement
Advertisement