Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MacBook Pro: processor speed VS SSD size

• 11-08-2017 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

I have a choice between MBPro:

late 2016 6th Gen i5 with 256GB memory OR June 2017 7th Gen i5 with 128GB memory.

Clock speed is 2.0 GHz Versus 2.3 GHz.

Roughly the same price for both machines.
    Can't decide which is better. Speed or SSD size?

Any advice?

Thanks!

J.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

depends on what you're using it for..
    I wouldn't be doing much so I would pick the larger SSD over the smaller.
    But I found the 2ghz fine for most stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Bigger SSD. But there are other differences between those two models. The 2017 has faster RAM, better graphics, and the improved butterfly keyboard.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I would suggest that 256 GB is really the minimum amount of storage a typical user needs. 128 GB is just going to be too tight. I'm not happy that Apple sell such low capacity devices.

If you're going to install a bunch of Apps and store a lot of documents and photos 128 GB isn't remotely enough. If you're not going to install a lot of apps and you're happy to use cloud storage it'll probably just about do.

It does appear that the non-touch bar 13" SSD at least is user replaceable - assuming third party units will become available in time - so you can always upgrade down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 joeimagine

Thanks all,

Went for the 256gb. Reckon the bigger SSD better suited to my needs than the bit of extra speed.

J.

Advertisement