Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VOIP/Phone not working on Eir F2000 in Bridge mode

Options
  • 11-08-2017 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I have FTTH with Eir F2000 modem router. I have the F2000 in bridge mode now. I am using an Asus rt-ac68u router. Very happy with the wirelss speeds being achieved.

But now my home phone/VOIP no longer works
    Is there any alternatives to bridge mode on eir f2000, so I can have my phone line working but also, use the wireless routing capabilities of the asus rt-ac68u ?

What are my options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you just want Wireless from the Asus then bridging is the wrong choice, put the Asus into AP mode and leave the F2000 as a router.

Alternatively if you wanted the landline + bridging the option would be to buy a router with its own ATA and enter the Eir SIP details (not possible with a 68U).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Shambolic

So could I change the F2000's connection type to IP routing (PPP) / PPOE, instead of bridging it, to enable the modems lan dhcp server. Would this somehow allow the modem to correctly handle voip again?

Or would this cause other issues for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Packet

Since you have FTTH there is something you can do to get the POTS phone via the VoIP client in the F2000 working while you use the Asus rt-ac68u
    as your main Internet wireless router.

Out of the box the F2000 is configured to send out Ethernet frames out of the WAN port tagged with VLAN 10. If you configure your Asus Ethernet WAN port to do this then you won't need to bridge through the F2000. Connect its WAN Ethernet port to the ONT directly.

You'll need to insert a small GE switch between the ONT and Asus so that the F2000 can also be connected to the ONT. Such switches can be bought cheaply on-line. Leave the F2000 in default routing mode IPoE so that it also acquires an IPv4 address.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Packet wrote: »
    Since you have FTTH there is something you can do to get the POTS phone via the VoIP client in the F2000 working while you use the Asus rt-ac68u
    as your main Internet wireless router.

Out of the box the F2000 is configured to send out Ethernet frames out of the WAN port tagged with VLAN 10. If you configure your Asus Ethernet WAN port to do this then you won't need to bridge through the F2000. Connect its WAN Ethernet port to the ONT directly.

You'll need to insert a small GE switch between the ONT and Asus so that the F2000 can also be connected to the ONT. Such switches can be bought cheaply on-line. Leave the F2000 in default routing mode IPoE so that it also acquires an IPv4 address.

Is there a limit on the number of IPv4 IP addresses one can receive on a single fibre connection?
    Could one theoretically connect 20 devices through a 24 port switch and have each receive a separate WAN IP address?

Is there a limit on the number of IPv4 IP addresses one can receive on a single fibre connection?
    Could one theoretically connect 20 devices through a 24 port switch and have each receive a separate WAN IP address?

Two.

The NGA node will give one, the RAS will give another (IPoE and PPP).

With OLOs its one.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Two.

The NGA node will give one, the RAS will give another (IPoE and PPP).

With OLOs its one.

Thanks.

I presently have two on my phone/ADSL line so thought there might be scope for a few more on fibre ;)

Thanks.

I presently have two on my phone/ADSL line so thought there might be scope for a few more on fibre ;)

With eir or an OLO?

ED E wrote: »
    With eir or an OLO?

eir

Advertisement