Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to bring kids for first fishing trip

Options
  • 12-08-2017 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi. I know nothing about fishing but my 8 and 10 year old girls are mad to give it a try. Bearing in mind that I know nothing and have no equipment would anyone have any advice? I'm thinking mackerel fishing from a boat as I did this when I was about 10 from a currach in Achill and had a ball. I've been checking out charters in Dublin (I'm in meath) but I don't want the expense of chartering a boat for just the 3 of us. I don't mind a bit of a drive up or down the east coast. Any advice welcome! I'd like to go before the kids are back in school so I've about 2 or 3 weeks left. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

Hi Lars,

Since you are in Meath would you be interested in trying the kids on river fishing. Kells Anglers have a junior competition in a couple of weeks, open to all and the only real competition is 14+ the younger kids tend to be first timer and just out for fun. The club can provide gear and its only €5 including a BBQ.

More info here if you are interested - https://goo.gl/CRdqLF

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lars

Hi Lars,

Since you are in Meath would you be interested in trying the kids on river fishing. Kells Anglers have a junior competition in a couple of weeks, open to all and the only real competition is 14+ the younger kids tend to be first timer and just out for fun. The club can provide gear and its only €5 including a BBQ.

Thanks for that Smokie. I might do that. Looks like a perfect opportunity. I was thinking Mackerel fishing because they'd definitely catch something but that looks like it'd be a great day out with BBQ etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Ring a few of your local charter boats.

I know down in Kilmore Quay they do evening trips for Mackerel. You only book your place on the boat, so cheaper than actually chartering a boat, and its only a few hours so suits families/kids.

:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Rathbeggan lakes is right on your doorstep, and a great place to bring kids for their first fishing trip. They supply the equipment too.
    http://www.rathbegganlakes.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Hi Lars,

That is an absolutely brilliant initiative and fair play to the club and it's members.

I come from a solely sea fishing background but showed that to my daughter and she may very well be interested in going.

She will be one month off her 14th birthday when it happens but by stature she's much older. Could she be entered in the 14 plus bracket.
    Also I'd need to pick a club members mind for a bit about tackle bait etc

I've fished competitive for many years including as junior and some of my happiest memories are from that time. Would love my daughter to see in herself me at her age :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Rathbeggan lakes is right on your doorstep, and a great place to bring kids for their first fishing trip. They supply the equipment too.
    http://www.rathbegganlakes.com/

+1 for Rathbeggan lakes although since it was turned in to a family park, no guarantee they will catch anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

Hi Sparks,

It a fairly informal competition so whatever group your daughter is more comfortable with is fine. Its really about getting the kids interested. There will be plenty of advise available on the day. Would she be interested in trying a bit of fly fishing? The river is best suited to fishing the fly so that may be the best technique. Don't worry about equipment I'm sure there will be rods available on the day to use.

Sparks43 wrote: »
    That is an absolutely brilliant initiative and fair play to the club and it's members.

I come from a solely sea fishing background but showed that to my daughter and she may very well be interested in going.

She will be one month off her 14th birthday when it happens but by stature she's much older. Could she be entered in the 14 plus bracket.
    Also I'd need to pick a club members mind for a bit about tackle bait etc

I've fished competitive for many years including as junior and some of my happiest memories are from that time. Would love my daughter to see in herself me at her age :)

Advertisement