Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying Creche for Bank Holiday?? Is that the norm?

Options
  • 12-08-2017 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Up to June this year my son goes to creche 3 days a week (Wednesday to Friday). Recently we switched days to suit my working days from Monday to Wednesday. As the August Bank Holiday just went by, I was informed that payment will need to include the Bank Holiday.

Is that the norm around the country?? I understand about paying when my son is sick or didn't attend for whatever reason as the Creche have to reserve a place for him for the agreed date. However, paying Creche for days when they are off/shut just didn't feel right??

Interested to see if other people are experiencing the same around the country.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Yes. You have to pay for bank holidays and holidays in general.

You will be charged for Christmas holidays so be prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Are you paid for the bank holiday, even though you're off work? Probably, yes.

Similarly, the people whose day job is minding your kid are also legally entitled to be paid, even though they're off. And money needs to be coming in for their salary to be paid.

So yes, it's absolutely the norm for you to pay as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Are you paid for the bank holiday, even though you're off work? Probably, yes.

Similarly, the people whose day job is minding your kid are also legally entitled to be paid, even though they're off. And money needs to be coming in for their salary to be paid.

So yes, it's absolutely the norm for you to pay as usual.

It's not really the same. If you work for a company that sells a product, that company pays you for that day without your services, not the buyers of the product.

It is the norm in childcare though which I always found a bit strange.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Yes, I've paid the same on a bank holiday week as I do for the ordinary week. Christmas worked out slightly differently as they closed extra days I think so I had a smaller bill that month.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It's not really the same. If you work for a company that sells a product, that company pays you for that day without your services, not the buyers of the product.

It is the norm in childcare though which I always found a bit strange.

That was my thought exactly regarding buyer of product.

Anyway, seems like overall consensus is that it is the norm so I have my answer

• Advertisement
Advertisement