Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Watford FC vs Liverpool Match Thread : SSPL 12:30BST

• 12-08-2017 10:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

New season and I've decided to pop my match thread cherry.

Last seasons fixture gave us last seasons Goal of the Year:

I'm hoping the recent crap with Coutinho doesnt ruin the opening day for us!

Lets go the Pool!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Hopefully off the pitch distractions can be ignored for Liverpool. A loss today will see hand wringing of epic proportions, even at this early stage of the season. Be good to see Mane and Salah play together properly with their pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

FOOTBALL'S BACK, BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem, good to get to see the first game of the season. It will be interesting to see who Klopp starts today as an indication of his team for the year ahead.

BUT FOOTBALL'S BACK AGAIN, BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Even if we are 4 nil up after 20 minutes, you know you'll still be thinking " don't **** up lads, don't **** up".

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

From memory, Liverpool dominated both games against Watford last year.

You'd have to fancy them again here to get the job done. 0-3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

With Silva managing Watford, last season's results are irrelevant. Hopefully it won't be a repeat of Hull's result against Liverpool with him in charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Dont mean to piss on Liverpool cornflakes here but I'd say Watford will be an extremly different kettle of fish under Marco Silva than last year. If Liverpool are in any way distracted by the Coutinho business they could get a nasty shock here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Have a feeling its a nasty shock kinda day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

pjohnson wrote: »
    Dont mean to piss on Liverpool cornflakes here but I'd say Watford will be an extremly different kettle of fish under Marco Silva than last year. If Liverpool are in any way distracted by the Coutinho business they could get a nasty shock here.

Our cornflakes were already pissed on yesterday don't worry :P

I agree that it could be a tough game. I respect Silva as a manager and he'll have them set up well and the crowd will be up for it first game of the season.

Liverpool and their travelling fans may (or may not) be a little bit distracted / downbeat following yesterday's events.

Last year was a really tough game, we really didn't create anything bar Can's moment of magic. I expect Silva to play a little more expansively than Watford did that day however and we should see a more open game.

Liverpool played well in pre-season and have a superior team so I still expect them to win, but I can definitely see why some might predict an upset here.

I don't think any Liverpool fan is going in with supreme confidence, we know it could be a really tough game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

PhilipsR wrote: »
    From memory, Liverpool dominated both games against Watford last year.

You'd have to fancy them again here to get the job done. 0-3.

Home game was 6-1 but the away fixture took Can scoring the goal of the season and Watford hitting the underside of the bar in the last minute for us to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If it's true that Moreno is starting, it proves just how atrocious Liverpool's transfer dealings over the last year have been. With Countinhon going Liverpool are a weaker side than they were this time last year and other teams have strengthened around them.

• Advertisement

If it's true that Moreno is starting, it proves just how atrocious Liverpool's transfer dealings over the last year have been. With Countinhon going Liverpool are a weaker side than they were this time last year and other teams have strengthened around them.

Do we really need another thread for this?

Moreno starting....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Moreno starting should be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Do we really need another thread for this?

Think the state of the squad is definitely pertinent when Moreno is starting the first game of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Looking forward to see Salah-Firmino-Mane in action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Looking forward to see Salah-Firmino-Mane in action.

Mignolet;
    TAA--Matip--Lovren--Moreno;
    Can
    Hendo---Wiji
    ---Salah--Firmino--Mane

Subs: Karius, Klavan, Gomez, Milner, Grujic, Solanke, Origi.

I see madness at both ends.

Watford:

Gomes (GK) (c); Janmaat, Kaboul, Britos, Holebas; Chalobah, Doucour, Amrabat, Cleverley, Pereyra; Okaka

Bench:

Pantilimon (GK), Prödl, Femen Watson, Capoue, Richarlison, Gray

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭spoonerhead

Robertson must not be fit, would've been a good option off the bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I hate this Sky Sports News look that Sky now do in the buld up for games.

Pretty bare bench again for Liverpool. Robertson not even being on the bench is not hopefully an indictment of the contribution he'll have to make this season.

I would say Milner is very unhappy at being left out. This is why he left City.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    I would say Milner is very unhappy at being left out. This is why he left City.

It's a long season, Milner's not gonna complain about not starting against Watford when we have Hoffenheim in midweek.

5starpool wrote: »
    Pretty bare bench again for Liverpool. Robertson not even being on the bench is not hopefully an indictment of the contribution he'll have to make this season.

Well it makes sense as Coutinho, Lallana, Sturridge and Clyne all out injured.

I would have expected Robertson to have made the bench though.

It's a long season, Milner's not gonna complain about not starting against Watford when we have Hoffenheim in midweek.

It depends.

He should not need resting at this stage of the season and it looks like a demotion to me.

pjohnson wrote: »

I really don't see how the Coutinho issue would distract the other players in any way at all.

Players will just get on with the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If Klopps plan is to try and show possible suitors what Moreno can do then surely he WOULDN'T play him. This will turn suitors away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I'd be thrilled with a 1-0 win,we need a nice 3 pts before midweek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Well it makes sense as Coutinho, Lallana, Sturridge and Clyne all out injured.

Ah here, Sturridge is a walking hospital it's to be expected :pac:

Robertson cant be fit
    It depends.

He should not need resting at this stage of the season and it looks like a demotion to me.

Indeed, klopps comments about Moreno being back and milner being a new CM seemed baffling at the time.
    It's now possible he was actually serious, frightening stuff.

Klopp's glasses get bigger every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I wonder will Solanke see any minutes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The starting lineup is giving me an anxiety attack. Please don't be shît today Moreno. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I wonder will Solanke see any minutes?

I'd say there's a very good chance tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Moreno to give away a penalty in a 3-1 defeat for Liverpool would be ticking all the chaos boxes today. I'm hoping for a win though obviously, and we're well capable of it.

Jermaine Pennant has a bit of an accent these days doesn't he?

• Advertisement

A Yank wearing a half and half scarf claiming that Liverpool will win "three zero" made me laugh more than it probably should have.

YNWA on the back of their tops. That's a new one isn't it?

That_Guy wrote: »
    A Yank wearing a half and half scarf claiming that Liverpool will win "three zero" made me laugh more than it probably should have.

He would find it just as funny that an Irish person supports a team in England as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Those player graphics are weird

He would find it just as funny that an Irish person supports a team in England as well.

Careful now chap. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Score draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sick with nervous excitement.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

I like Liverpool and would be very pleased if they won their football game this afternoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

I'm watching from the comfort of my own home. I feel like such a filthy piece of ****, plastic fan scumbag. It's people like me that are ruining football.

Edit: I'm Irish too, watching English football. I have no right, it's football appropriation. I Should be flogged.

Squeaky bum time there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Henderson's pace/mobility not at all looking like it used to. Hopefully I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Mother of Pearl, that Liverpool back 4 are being skinned alive by this Watford offence

First corner of the season, what's new?

Conceded from a corner. Shocked, absolutely shocked there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Henderson is so infuriating on the ball.

Can't defend set pieces.

Nothing's changed so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement