Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Watford FC vs Liverpool Match Thread : SSPL 12:30BST

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Redknapp and Carragher always seem to hate each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Will take a lot more than Van Dijk to clean up that mess at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

astradave wrote: »
    Ball has to be played forward for it to be deemed offside

Really I'm not going on about the offside as it was marginal and these things happen. I'm more interested in the rule. I can't see where it says if it goes backwards it's not offside.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

5starpool wrote: »
    Ahead of the ball. Not massively, but still ahead.

That's very close in real time. He is definitely obstructing the keeper regardless.

Also remarkable looking at that screenshot how the ball could end up in the net offside or otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,052 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Defense is not good but the goalkeeper is horrendous. I was just thinking during the game that I"d rate the two keepers in that game at the same level. Both are capable of having great games but they make far too many mistakes.

I think the first thing Liverpool have to do is bring in a keeper. Like Begovic was available, Pickford went to Everton. Hell Joe Hart is miles ahead of Liverpool's keepers.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    Really I'm not going on about the offside as it was marginal and these things happen. I'm more interested in the rule. I can't see where it says if it goes backwards it's not offside.

It's not a rule, they're talking nonsense.

If more than one of the attacking side are past the last defender, then they have to remain behind the man with the ball if recieving a pass. You see this all the time with a fast break. It's nothing to do with the direction of the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

niallo27 wrote: »

I might be mis-remembering but that was what i thought at the time.. As i said, i thought it was offside myself at first until checked that replay.. if thats not the rule then the official is at fault.

Edit: Checked it on Fifa and the direction of the ball doesn't matter. so back to being offside for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

mark_jmc wrote: »
    The ball was played backwards though- no offside

Wrong sport, this isn't egg chasing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,592 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Ball has to be played forward for it to be deemed offside
    Even with a player off side.
    One could stake way off side in that case and back spin a ball in behind by playing it back and then it back spins forward. Easily done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,592 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

That_Guy wrote: »
    Will take a lot more than Van Dijk to clean up that mess at the back.

cOULD PUT TEN of them in this system and it still would not work.
    The system is flawed. Defending spacing and ignore the ball and players, WTF
    Keep it simple, all eyes on ball, WIN IT !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

I might be mis-remembering but that was what i thought at the time.. As i said, i thought it was offside myself at first until checked that replay.. if thats not the rule then the official is at fault.

Edit: Checked it on Fifa and the direction of the ball doesn't matter. so back to being offside for me

You're not entirely wrong though in what you are remembering - though you came to the right conclusion that it was ever-so-marginally offside. Looking at the pic 5starpool posted, you can see that the Watford attacker is just ahead of his teammate when the ball is played - Once an attacker has taken the ball past the second last defender, the ball determines the offside line. Therefore, as 5starpool said, he was ahead of the ball so he was offside. FIFA make the distinction that you can be "offside with regards to the second last opponent" and you can also be "offside with regards to the ball".

So back to what you thought (which I used to think as well), it's not correct but the direction of the movement of the ball is sometimes helpful in highlighting whether a teammate has strayed "offside with regards to the ball", because if they are ahead of the ball then, the only way they can receive possession is to receive a forward pass. So as I said, the direction of the ball can be instructive sometimes, but only that, it's not the rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

cOULD PUT TEN of them in this system and it still would not work.
    The system is flawed. Defending spacing and ignore the ball and players, WTF
    Keep it simple, all eyes on ball, WIN IT !

System is flawed up against the lower level teams

How can a team that only conceded 10 goals in 12 matches last season (7 in 11 matches if you discount the first game against Arsenal) against man utd, arsenal, man city, Chelsea, Spurs and everton then turn around and concede 25 goals in 12 matches against Hull, burnley, Swansea, palace, Bournemouth, Sunderland away and Watford away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

rossie1977 wrote:
    How can a team that only conceded 10 goals in 12 matches last season (7 in 11 matches if you discount the first game against Arsenal) against man utd, arsenal, man city, Chelsea, Spurs and everton.

The players raise their game & concentrate against that opposition as a win against them means a lot more than beating Bournemouth or Palace. Even if the points still are the same.
    It's been the same under Klopp as the other previous managers conceding 40-50 goals won't get you far in the run of a season.

Advertisement