Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gameweek 1 Discussion

Comments

• Letting Matic go could be costly
    Early days but Contes signings this summer could be classed as poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool have all conceded three goals in their opening games.
    Standard of defending in the league has really deteriorated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Good call on the halftime score. She missed the red card call though.

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/829846842150096896

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Awful tackle by Cahill, deserved red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Letting Matic go could be costly
    Early days but Contes signings this summer could be classed as poor

It's 45 mins into the season and the window isn't shut yet. Take about premature. Two of his signings aren't even playing today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Only caught the bit at the end where Luiz was squaring up to Brady. What was it all about? Tackle he wasn't happy about?

• Johner wrote: »
    It's 45 mins into the season and the window isn't shut yet. Take about premature. Two of his signings aren't even playing today.

Yea, I said early days!
    They need to get the striker situation sorted which is going to be tough this late into the window

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool have all conceded three goals in their opening games.
    Standard of defending in the league has really deteriorated.

It isn't a massive deterioration for Liverpool or Arsenal really, just more of the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Yea, I said early days!
    They need to get the striker situation sorted which is going to be tough this late into the window

I don't think Conte wanted to let Matic go either, he wanted him for the start of the season while Bakayoko recovered but understandably Matic wasn't going to settle for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Could watch that Ward goal over and over. Chest down was perfect and the strike left Courtois with no chance.

More of the same on 2nd September please.

• Johner wrote: »
    I don't think Conte wanted to let Matic go either, he wanted him for the start of the season while Bakayoko recovered but understandably Matic wasn't going to settle for that.

Oh I agree on that, we discussed it in the Chelsea thread.
    But I honestly don't see how Bakayoko is an upgrade on Matic in the first place and obviously Matic wasn't going to play second fiddle at Chelsea especially when he's in his prime at 28.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

The recruitment team need to take a long hard look at themselves, they've left Conte horribly bare for the first period of the season.

Conte also probably regretting how he handled the Costa situation, a world class striker going to waste and here Chelsea are starting Batshyuai and Boga.

Yeah it's been a poor window for them. I wonder will they try last minute deals now as a panic from that result.

I know Conte doesn't want to rush Morata into it but if you're spending that money on a player of his quality he should be starting straight away. Doubt he can be that far behind in terms of tactics and chemistry to not start.

Wonder what their reaction will be after half time.

Chelsea desperately need a word class all round midfielder, cannot see that happening, no names spring to mind, perhaps Veratti but unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Yea, I said early days!

What striker situation? Their issues are elsewhere, they've already signed Morata, Conte doesn't want Costa, that is his doing.

• JPA wrote: »
    What striker situation? Their issues are elsewhere, they've already signed Morata, Conte doesn't want Costa, that is his doing.

Morata the answer?? He's got a lot to prove and is currently a risk.
    Who's the backup striker?

• Advertisement

Morata the answer?? He's got a lot to prove and is currently a risk.
    Who's the backup striker?

Batsuashyi. Morata was clearly signed as No 1 striker.

Batsuashyi. Morata was clearly signed as No 1 striker.

Ok, so are you confident that Morata can deliver?
    Chelsea wanted Lukaku and didn't get him so went for the second choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

David Luiz is losing the rag out there.

Ok, so are you confident that Morata can deliver?
    Chelsea wanted Lukaku and didn't get him so went for the second choice.

Whether I'm confident or not is irrelevant, do you really think Chelsea are going to be in for any other main striker? Maybe another back up but Morata is no 1 unless he flops badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

That_Guy wrote: »
    David Luiz is losing the rag out there.
    I'd say he's short odds to receive his walking papers. Unless Conte does the sensible thing and subs him off.

• Advertisement

Whether I'm confident or not is irrelevant, do you really think Chelsea are going to be in for any other main striker? Maybe another back up but Morata is no 1 unless he flops badly.

So you can understand that the current striker situation at Chelsea is still a potential problem? That's all I was saying really.
    Banking on Morata and batshuyi is not something I'd be confident of if I was a Chelsea fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Did I hear wrong or were the Chelsea fans chanting "you don't know what you're doing"?

Fickle bunch.

zerks wrote: »
    Did I hear wrong or were the Chelsea fans chanting "you don't know what you're doing"?

Fickle bunch.

Aimed at the referee maybe but you never know with that lot.

So you can understand that the current striker situation at Chelsea is still a potential problem? That's all I was saying really.
    Banking on Morata and batshuyi is not something I'd be confident of if I was a Chelsea fan.

Any new signing is a potential problem. But their bigger problems are a lack of numbers further down the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

The problem isn't Morata, he's an elite striker. Michy is a fine back up. The issue is depth, namely that there is none and that many key players or replacements for key players, are out for a good portion of the opening part of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Chelsea players losing the plot here. There's another red in this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Morata getting a nice welcome to english football :D

Any new signing is a potential problem. But their bigger problems are a lack of numbers further down the pitch.

I had mentioned that losing Matic could prove costly

you are seriously under-rating Morata here.. he might take a couple of weeks to get going but thats only cause he missed most of pre-season on his honeymoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

With no Costa & Hazard Chelsea look bang average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

This the turnaround

Alot of headed goals in all the games so far

Cracking goal by Morata

Willian did well to put that on a plate for Morata. Some amount of headers.

• astradave wrote: »
    you are seriously under-rating Morata here.. he might take a couple of weeks to get going but thats only cause he missed most of pre-season on his honeymoon

That's why I'm saying it's a risk, and my opinion is that he's alot to prove but it might pay off, it might not

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Ye Morata is genuinely elite. Shame the team around him probably wont be up to scratch til like the end of September.

Berahino's overrated to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Berahino's overrated to say the least.

Except by himself:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I don't think that was going in without Morata's touch anyway.

• Advertisement

Correct decision. Just offside.

If Morata leaves that it's a goal.

I don't think that was going in without Morata's touch anyway.
    It wasn't.

Was the first pass offside anyways?

Edit:miles on, shot/cross was curving wide anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Town for the title!

About time Luiz got booked. Petulant as they come.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think at this stage if the referee found the cure to world hunger, Chelsea fans would shout abuse at him. The amount of things they've incorrectly thought he was wrong about is impressive

Wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Wtf is Fabregas moaning about?

Fabregas may have no complaints about that one. Stupid tackle.

Meltdown at the Bridge

• Advertisement
Advertisement