Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken rolls

Options
  • 12-08-2017 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Im going mad and have decided to ignore my food allergies and get a chicken roll, my colleagues say the one's from this and that local shop/supermarket are best. So which chicken roll do ppl on galway boards recommend?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I think the best chicken roll I ever had was in the IKEA just outside Paris in 1993.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I'm no expert but I get mine from Joyce's deli. Never had a bad roll there.

Jesus wept!

we're scraping the barrel of cuisine if we're on to a farkin chicken roll.

What's next, the best hang samich?

Op, fyi, its all the same chicken (I use the term lightly) and the same bread rolls, hell most use the mega tubs of dairygold so really, the difference you are looking at is what do you add to the roll and how fresh are the components, which is purely dictated by the time you go to order one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Gala opposite TK Maxx is a shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Noveight wrote: »
    Gala opposite TK Maxx is a shout!

U for real. food there is muck

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Jesus wept!

Op, fyi, its all the same chicken (I use the term lightly) and the same bread rolls, hell most use the mega tubs of dairygold so really, the difference you are looking at is what do you add to the roll and how fresh are the components, which is purely dictated by the time you go to order one.

90% of all food in Ireland is made up of ingredients ordered from the same cash and carry. So any mid price restaurant, pub carvery, hotel food, deli, cafe, sandwich counter at a supermarket or petrol station, cantine or any similar food outlet will have the same industrial "meat", vacuum packed lettuce and other veg, cheese flavoured food product slices and "sauce" from a 10 kg bucket also found to contain Dulux emulsion exterior paint (same stuff really). So unless you go to one of the 10 fine dining restaurants, that's your lot really.
    I never found any difference between establishments, i.e. food between sandwich places generic and indistinguishable, same for pub grub or reasonable restaurant. It's what people want and expect. If you opened a place that offered genuinely different and unique food, you'd go under in 2 weeks, unless it's the sort of place that serves 10 gram per serving and charged a hundred bucks for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

90% of all food in Ireland is made up of ingredients ordered from the same cash and carry. So any mid price restaurant, pub carvery, hotel food, deli, cafe, sandwich counter at a supermarket or petrol station, cantine or any similar food outlet will have the same industrial "meat", vacuum packed lettuce and other veg, cheese flavoured food product slices and "sauce" from a 10 kg bucket also found to contain Dulux emulsion exterior paint (same stuff really). So unless you go to one of the 10 fine dining restaurants, that's your lot really.
    I never found any difference between establishments, i.e. food between sandwich places generic and indistinguishable, same for pub grub or reasonable restaurant. It's what people want and expect. If you opened a place that offered genuinely different and unique food, you'd go under in 2 weeks, unless it's the sort of place that serves 10 gram per serving and charged a hundred bucks for it.

Nice story.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

paconnors wrote: »
    U for real. food there is muck

Yup. Same as every other chicken roll in every other deli in the country. Pure muck. And the punters love it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Yup. Same as every other chicken roll in every other deli in the country. Pure muck. And the punters love it!

I used to! Try Chawkes in Limerick, they do an excellent chicken roll. Or go down any local deli, it's much if a muchness to be fair. ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

I wouldn't bother getting one anywhere it's just mostly the waste of the chicken legs wings etc covered in breadcrumbs in China

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Mccambridges.... By a country mile. Real chicken breast stripped from left over cooked chickens.

Personal favourite would be ciabatta, mayo, chicken, bacon, cheese and pineapple. You won't be hungry after it

I eat chicken rolls very regulalry and trust me they vary a lot between different places so pay no heed to those saying otherwise.

Give me a nice chicken roll before some expensive, small portion Michelin star resturant anyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In fairness you can't beat Subway either (especially after 5, when footlongs are €5) - that new rotisserie Chicken is great and you can cram as much veg as you like into the roll as well. I get one every other day for the €5 and I cram in enough veg that they have difficulty closing the roll sometimes (and Subway rolls are much better designed for holding huge amount of ingredients compared to baguettes).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Jesus wept!

Op, fyi, its all the same chicken (I use the term lightly) and the same bread rolls, hell most use the mega tubs of dairygold so really, the difference you are looking at is what do you add to the roll and how fresh are the components, which is purely dictated by the time you go to order one.[/QUOT

As I eat healthy I've never had one before, as it will only be one, I wanted to get a broader view on where the commonly believed that is, I didn't start this as a comment on cuisine.

PS even this city girl loves a ham sandwich. Brady's ham, flora, spelt or rice bread, lettuces and a side of heritage tomato salad. :)

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Go madder!
    Make your own chicken roll with the freshest out of the oven roll, tomato, lettuce, mayo or anything you fancy with home grilled or roasted chicken. A shop bought roll will cost the same as a small whole chicken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

cbreeze wrote: »
    Go madder!
    Make your own chicken roll with the freshest out of the oven roll, tomato, lettuce, mayo or anything you fancy with home grilled or roasted chicken. A shop bought roll will cost the same as a small whole chicken

Well in fairness most chicken rolls are about €3, you're hardly going to buy a fresh chicken, fresh roll, and vegetables for that!

The OP did ask where was the best place to get a chicken roll. I don't think he/she came here to hear about a) fine cuisine or b) to be enlightened on how it's possible to make your own sandwich at home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Daybreak on the corner of Ravens Terrence make a good roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Patww79 wrote: »
    That's not a chicken roll. Those lovely additives in the breaded fillets make them taste much nicer than bare breast meat. Plus the breading is lovely.

In a baguette.

Each to their own. It's chicken between bread and my recommendation to the first post. That processed sh1te is rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I eat chicken rolls very regulalry and trust me they vary a lot between different places so pay no heed to those saying otherwise.

Give me a nice chicken roll before some expensive, small portion Michelin star resturant anyday.
    There's nothing more reliable than you nox, keep her lit auld shtock.

Before I developed a palate I remember Wards by Nui doing a 'good' roll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Wards are the best imo. All the others use pretty much the same chicken and cuisine de france rolls.

Advertisement