Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Skerries like?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Enough of the 'suburb' debate.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MaloryB

Sorry to keep thinking of more questions but I'm thinking I probably can't face cooking Christmas lunch this year, with small baby in tow and a house full of visiting relatives. Anyone know of anywhere reasonably near Skerries we could have lunch out on Christmas Day, or would we have to trek into Dublin? I know it will cost us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

MaloryB wrote: »
    Sorry to keep thinking of more questions but I'm thinking I probably can't face cooking Christmas lunch this year, with small baby in tow and a house full of visiting relatives. Anyone know of anywhere reasonably near Skerries we could have lunch out on Christmas Day, or would we have to trek into Dublin? I know it will cost us!

Well if you move to Ireland one small thing you'll have to get used to is virtually nothing opens on xmas day apart from maybe the odd service station.

Some hotels will do xmas dinner but they tend to involve accommodation packages.

M&S have a food ordering service. Avoca would be a high quality Irish option if you wanted to order all the food in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The Bracken Court in Balbriggan do Christmas lunches IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MaloryB

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I suppose I should mention the major negative aspect of Skerries (for me anyway) - the bloody seagulls. :(

When I moved here in May, I just couldn't get over how noisy and disturbing they are. I've gotten a bit used to it after many sleep disturbed nights. They usually start squaking from 3 or 4am and pecking on the Velux windows of my bedroom. I'm in the Balbriggan Street area so I'd imagine it's going to be even worse for the OP around The Hoar Rock.

It's infuriating that they are 'protected' - a bit like saying rats are protected IMO. Funny thing is that I lived in Rush for 17 years and in Portrane for 9 years before that and seagulls were never an issue in either location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

There's also a Tesco in Rush (about 6km south of Skerries) and an Aldi (or Lidl?) is also due for construction in Rush.

There is also a Lidl and a Tesco in Balbriggan which is an equal distance as Rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You're right about the seagulls. Noisy buggers! TBH - I think the problem is worst in the older estates which sometimes have larger roofs & chimney breasts which make for better nesting sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

Ardgillan Castle is a superb facility right next to Skerries - great play area in a fantastic setting, forest walks complete with fairy doors, rose gardens and tea rooms etx.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaulD77

I suppose I should mention the major negative aspect of Skerries (for me anyway) - the bloody seagulls. :(

When I moved here in May, I just couldn't get over how noisy and disturbing they are. I've gotten a bit used to it after many sleep disturbed nights. They usually start squaking from 3 or 4am and pecking on the Velux windows of my bedroom. I'm in the Balbriggan Street area so I'd imagine it's going to be even worse for the OP around The Hoar Rock.

It's infuriating that they are 'protected' - a bit like saying rats are protected IMO. Funny thing is that I lived in Rush for 17 years and in Portrane for 9 years before that and seagulls were never an issue in either location.
    I am also in Balbriggan street, moved here 3 years ago and am only getting used to them now.  As soon as I open the lid of the BBQ they are over to see what is going on.  I see they are no longer protected, or rather their eggs are no longer protected in Balbriggan because they were getting too aggressive.  Well these lads are aggressive too, swooping at the dog and even the adults sometimes.  Hopefully it will be OK to get rid of them here too soon.  Problem is, you see people feeding these rats, I mean birds, what do some people be thinking??
    Hoar rock is lovely, great place to bring kids up, well at least for our 10 nice days a year

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

positron wrote: »
    Ardgillan Castle is a superb facility right next to Skerries - great play area in a fantastic setting, forest walks complete with fairy doors, rose gardens and tea rooms etx.

Ardgillan Demense and castle in Balbriggan is a great resource ;)

Theatre in Rush great too and Heritage centre in Balrothery and Seamus Ennis in Naul great for gigs now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Wow, what a fantastic response, thanks all!

I should have said that we're moving from a very, very rural location in the north of England. As in, more sheep than people locally rural. Skerries will seem like a metropolis but it'll be lovely to be able to walk places and not have to rely on the car so heavily (though good to know Tesco is there if needed, thanks!) and my husband will be commuting to the IFSC so Skerries seems like a good balance of reasonable commute and lovely location

The house is near the sea, at Hoar Rock, Wishbone.

Thanks for the GP recommendation, RobFowl! Anything that eases the transition to a completely unknown healthcare system is much appreciated!

He will be able to go practically door to door to the IFSC with the 33X in addition to the train

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cbreeze wrote: »
    He will be able to go practically door to door to the IFSC with the 33X in addition to the train
    ....or cycle in so it's always door to door and always guaranteed a seat. The 'Skerries Express' usually leaves each morning around 7am. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

Hi all, apologies if not correct in bumping an old thread. Looking at a property in Hoar Rock with an expectant wife! What's the area like? What Skerries like now on the whole? Seems to be a huge amount of new builds on the Ballbriggan side.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

It’s full of goats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Hoar Rock would have my vote as best location in Skerries

Advertisement