Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet restaurant in Dublin City Centre?

Options
  • 12-08-2017 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I'm looking for recommendations for a quiet restaurant that does nice food in Dublin city centre. My friend's parents are visiting Ireland from the USA for the first time; her dad has throat/vocal cord issues and struggles to be heard in places with lots of background noise, so I'm looking for somewhere on the quiet side. I was thinking of bringing them somewhere for an early bird next Saturday. Would anyone have ideas for where we might go? Budget isn't an issue.
    Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

If budget is not a problem, l'ecrivain might suit: http://lecrivain.com

Being fairly high-end the table layout upstairs is pretty widespread and at least when I was there mostly tables 2-4 people who were not too noisy themselves because the quiet atmosphere is kind of part of the experience.

Only been there once though so maybe they sometimes have noisy guests - but at least from that one experience it seemed pretty good with regards to what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Places like Chapter One have really well spaced tables and generally quiet dining rooms. It all depends if you can get a table at short notice. Other options might be Restaurant 41, Dax, One Pico etc

L'Ecrivain is hit & miss as I find their high ceiling doesn't help with noise. But you could also ask for a table off to the side or in an alcove. That should also help.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

A friend of mine suggested upstairs in Fallon & Byrne - would you reckon that could work? I've only ever been to the wine cellar downstairs.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

My father in law finds it difficult to hear in crowded places and he hates upstairs in Fallon & Byrne. He says he really struggles to hear other even in a small group upstairs!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

My father in law finds it difficult to hear in crowded places and he hates upstairs in Fallon & Byrne. He says he really struggles to hear other even in a small group upstairs!

Oh good to know, thanks.

Do you know of any quieter places in town? They have said that they don't want anything too fancy, so although budget isn't an issue, I think some of the suggestions above might be too much on the fancy side.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Peploe's has very well spaced out tables with a calm, muted atmosphere.

It's traditional/fancy but they do an early bird, it's very early though. Finishes at 6.15

http://peploes.com/early-bird/

You're requirements tend to nod towards the higher end of the spectrum. The advantage of this is that you can request a quiet table if you explain the circumstances. The issue will be dealt with discretely, professionally and without fuss. Her dad won't have a clue that the table has been picked for him.

Hope you have a great evening.

(The previous suggestions on the thread are excellent by the way, brilliant restaurants, quiet, but convivial and perfect for North Americans)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I like Suesey Street....brought an elderly family friend there recently who is hard of hearing and had a lovely booth. Wasn't expensive but lovely service.

Definitely not Fallon and Byrne...i find it hard to hear there.

I just thought of another one. Citron in the Fitzwilliam. Very airy and nice to have a drink downstairs as well. Not too high end prices but high end food, plus you're in the heart of the city. Only two things, it's a pain to book and the toilets are quite a trek. But always looked after me nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

you should try "The Green Hen" on Exchequer street - it's nice and relaxed, quiet and the food is delicious. its quite reasonable too for the quality you get. the staff are extremely friendly and if he can't hear, or wants to move tables, then they would do that for him no problem. there is music, but very low.

one of the quietest restaurants i was EVER in was One Pico - i still somewhat actually complain about how quiet it was. i was the centre of attention because i was talking at a normal level. so, even though i did not enjoy it's silence, i'm sure it would fit the bill for your father in law.

although it's quite pricey - as it is one of those michelin star kips.

You got me thinking. Just finished lunch in the marker with some uk visitors. Lovely food and stunning to see the skyline. Very light and airy and another to add to your list!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The Cellar in the Merrion perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

cactusgal wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

A friend of mine suggested upstairs in Fallon & Byrne - would you reckon that could work? I've only ever been to the wine cellar downstairs.

Thanks again!

It's got big high ceilings, so I'd say no. Noise would bounce around up there.

People's is very nice, and it's been done up recently, but the tables are crazy close to each other. Depending on how busy it is that night, you might be hearing other people's conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Dobbins just off Mount Street? They have nice booths as well as open tables and should be quiet early in the evening

Advertisement