Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different immersion switches

Options
  • 12-08-2017 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

I had the switch on the left but it was damaged and had to be replaced. The Man In The Shop sold me the one on the right and I can't get my head around it. I can see the L/N/Gnd coming in, and I can see the N/Sink/Bath/Gnd going out. However I couldn't get it to work. By moving around the wires, I could get it to heat for bath or for sink, but this wasn't under control of the switch. I was then given one similar to the original, wired it up & it all worked - took less than 10 mins to fit & verify voltages across the immersion heater. I'd love to know what I did wrong with the one on the right - if anyone knows, it would be much appreciated.
    F0ftCR.jpg
    Note that grey=black (since black won't show up on this pic).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

bpmurray wrote: »
    I had the switch on the left but it was damaged and had to be replaced. The Man In The Shop sold me the one on the right and I can't get my head around it. I can see the L/N/Gnd coming in, and I can see the N/Sink/Bath/Gnd going out. However I couldn't get it to work. By moving around the wires, I could get it to heat for bath or for sink, but this wasn't under control of the switch. I was then given one similar to the original, wired it up & it all worked - took less than 10 mins to fit & verify voltages across the immersion heater. I'd love to know what I did wrong with the one on the right - if anyone knows, it would be much appreciated.
    F0ftCR.jpg
    Note that grey=black (since black won't show up on this pic).

Looks like you were missing a link between the live out(beside the neutral on the top) to the feed for the sink/bath switch(terminal at bottom left).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Missing link as said. Other type switches have the link internally.

The ones needing the link are like 2 separate switches, a double pole and a 2 way beside each other, so a link is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

That makes sense - that bottom one is tagged as "20/150" which doesn't mean a whole lot to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

bpmurray wrote: »
    That makes sense - that bottom one is tagged as "20/150" which doesn't mean a whole lot to me!

It's 20/250. It's rated for 20 amps at 250 volts max.

Advertisement