Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable road bike

Options
  • 12-08-2017 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I'm thinking of taking up cycling for the first time this winter by joining one of the dublin cycling clubs and I'm wondering if there is any sense in me trying to buy a decent road bikw for around 300€ .

Initially I just want something decent for a few months and if I catch the bug I would probably invest in a better bike next year. I'll confess to knowing next to nothing about bikes, so any help would be warmly welcomed!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Hi folks,
    I'm thinking of taking up cycling for the first time this winter by joining one of the dublin cycling clubs and I'm wondering if there is any sense in me trying to buy a decent road bikw for around 300€ .

Initially I just want something decent for a few months and if I catch the bug I would probably invest in a better bike next year. I'll confess to knowing next to nothing about bikes, so any help would be warmly welcomed!
    Thanks!

If you want to buy new, the best in that price range is generally considered to be the B'twin Triban 500 from Decathlon. They don't have a shop in Dublin at the moment but that might change in the coming months. You'd also get something second hand for that, or if you add a bit more you can get something that someone with the same idea as you bought for close to 1000 on the bike to work and never really used

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

You should be able to pick up something reasonable second hand on adverts.ie for 3 to 4 hundred.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

rtmie wrote: »
    You should be able to pick up something reasonable second hand on adverts.ie for 3 to 4 hundred.

Or stick a wanted ad up on the sub forum here. Often people have a spare bike or two that they may sell but couldn't be bothered actually putting up for sale. What size are you looking for/ what height are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Halfords carrera vanquish is a great bike for the money I gave €450 for mine I see them now for €360 online.it weighs 10 or 11kg has a carbon front fork and shamano Claris gears it's not going to win the Tour de France but is a great starting point to see have you the interest to keep up cycling for long term.

At the OP price point it's hard to look passed the Triaban 500 from Decathlon, they are not shipping here at the minute until they open up here in a few weeks but they seem to be highly regarded as an entry level bike.

EDIT: Actually screw them they are currently looking for €60 more for the 500 on the .ie site that won't sell to you at the minute vs the conversion from UK price on that site. Maybe they'll adjust things once they get up and running here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are decathlon opening a physical store here?

are decathlon opening a physical store here?

Yeah I think so, check the front page here https://www.decathlon.ie for the spiel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hmm, nothing about an actual physical store though, could just be the ecommerce team.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Get thethe entry level Carrera from Halfords. I got a Carrera Zelos from them 4years ago for €350 and it's still going strong. Fine bike for the price and there's a Halfords in every big town if you have issues.

If you're still going strong next year you'll have an idea as to what you want to upgrade to and you can either sell the Carrera for €150-200 or keep it as a spare bike.

hmm, nothing about an actual physical store though, could just be the ecommerce team.

I half recall someone bringing it up a few days ago on another thread , maybe a shop in Dublin or recruitment .... though it's late and I'm likely not recalling it as it was said :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I half recall someone bringing it up a few days ago on another thread , maybe a shop in Dublin or recruitment .... though it's late and I'm likely not recalling it as it was said :D

The recruitment was only about 10 jobs so probably not yet enough for one of their stores. Their higher ranges of clothing are great and still cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They're going back into the US and starting in Israel at the moment, but no headlines about Ireland and considering the large store footprint you'd expect a retail branch to have leaked.

I'd guess its just Irish fulfilment as a pre brexit re-jig.

Advertisement