Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often do houses need to be re-wired ?

Options
  • 12-08-2017 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭

Hi Im in the process of buying a house thats about 30 years old .

The surveyor mentioned that its the original wiring and is likely to need re wiring .
    I was surprised by this ,is around 30 years the norm ?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

robbie1977 wrote: »
    Hi Im in the process of buying a house thats about 30 years old .

The surveyor mentioned that its the original wiring and is likely to need re wiring .
    I was surprised by this ,is around 30 years the norm ?

Your surveyor may well be correct, however it would be better to get an electrician to advise as they are qualified to do so.

If the installation was wired in accordance with regulations at the time it may be possible to upgrade the existing wiring. It is impossible to say definitively without seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Cable wears down over time and can become damaged from heat, weather, dampness etc....

Is there an MCB board or old fuse type?

MCB and RCDs etc have a certain lifespan also.

It would be worth considering this in costs of purchase so you are aware and ready for added costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Thanks for the reply's

I didn't think of checking the fuse board when viewing it at that stage re-wiring never even crossed my mind.

There is an electric shower tho so l presume it has a trip switch style board.

There will be a lot of work being done to the house before moving in so removing floor boards or damaging walls wouldn't be a problem now at this stage , so even if the cables are fine now it could be sensible to just upgrade things now if in the next 5 to 10 years if the would definitely need doing then ?

I hadn't budgeted for this and will get an electricians opinion on it just curious about it , l doubt many houses are re-wired after 30 years whether its right or wrong .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The wiring itself will probably be ok.

But if you look around the house you.might find that more socket points will be needed. A proper wired in smoke detector setup is also something that should be added if there is not one already. Extra lights. TV points etc. So overall a rewire of a house just bought and having work done on it would seem a good idea. There will unlikely be a better time again in the near future.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Bruthal wrote: »
    The wiring itself will probably be ok.

+1
    Unless it has been overloaded a lot, exposed to sunlight or high temperatures it will most likely be ok. Testing the cables to verify this is not difficult.

• Advertisement
Advertisement