Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awaiting contracts from vendors solicitor....

Options
  • 12-08-2017 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

Vendor..... ' not in a rush to sell..... willl wait for an acceptable bid'
    Bid accepted 17 June.
    Sale agreed 5th July.
    Email to EA 20th July.....EA says that the vendors solicitor says all is in hand....
    Phone call 1st aug..... EA says vendors solicitor is in her holidays.....stop worrying.
    Phone call 10 AUG .. EA sounds alarmed..... speaks to vendors solicitor..... she has only just requested the title deeds from the bank and it'll be another 4 weeks before they arrive.....

Phone call to my solicitor...... has emailed and rung to speed this up..... nothing more she can do

Buying in Dublin..... vendors market.....
    Very worried now.....is this going to fall through..... now waiting nearly 6 weeks and no contracts.......aaaahhhhh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

We waited almost 7 weeks for the contracts. It's holiday season and when you went sale agreed on July 5th, you're still very well within the 8-12 weeks timeline that it takes to close a purchase.
    You're the only person that takes this as a priority, a solicitor has done this hundreds of times before and has probably plenty of these contracts to work on at the same time.
    I'd seriously stop worrying. I feel you, it's a headwreck. Continue to view other places but if that's the house you want, you have to be patient. This can be a painfully slow process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Early days, be prepared for a wait. Any sale I have been involved with has taken months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

The sale process in Ireland is painfully slow and both sides can create delays.

I learnt the hard way. Sale agreed August - closed January.

Put it this way - if a certain solicitors name ever appears on anything I am involved in, I will walk away. Solicitors in this country are a law onto themselves and there are quite a few that are just dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

House went up for sale in February.
    That means from Feb to August the solicitor hasn't even bothered to request the title deeds from the bank.
    I find this shocking unprofessionalosm!

How can I check that everything is ok ie the house is actually saleable? Just to put my mind at ease?

• Advertisement

That's the job of your solicitor, he'll make sure that the titles are right, there's no negative equity and a few other important things that could stop the bank from giving you a mortgage on this particular property.

Keep looking for alternatives - even ask for viewings for a couple of properties the agent selling this property has.

If they ask why, just say you are not confident that the seller is genuine, so continuing to look for places.

A property that is on the market for 8 months will raise a red flag and the agent will know this, so it may suddenly move things along.

I'd even put a bid in on something else that agent has to really freak them our.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Keep looking for alternatives - even ask for viewings for a couple of properties the agent selling this property has.

If they ask why, just say you are not confident that the seller is genuine, so continuing to look for places.

A property that is on the market for 8 months will raise a red flag and the agent will know this, so it may suddenly move things along.

I'd even put a bid in on something else that agent has to really freak them our.

If you're in Dublin this can work out or can go very wrong. The EA might take this as you being an unreliable buyer and if you pull out and put bids for another house with the same agent he might advise the vendor that you're an unreliable party.
    Unless you are in a really strong position (no chain, cash buyer, price bracket with low demand) this probably won't do you any favours.

But OP should definitely continue viewing places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

CeilingFly wrote: »

The chances are the property has risen in value since it went sale agreed , l doubt at all they would be freaked out .

Yes Robbie you're right.
    I'm very vulnerable.
    I work so hard and saved for 10 years + and now this lazy solicitor is making me worried+++
    Sorry just gotta rant.

If the title deeds arrive in 4 weeks time then it will be 10 weeks waiting for contracts. Not ok.

• Advertisement

Theoretically.. if your solicitor has the nod from the bank/financial crowd, and the seller's solicitor has the green light from the seller to get rid of the property, and you've already done a survey or whatever such you want to do..

How long should it actually take? At that stage, should it not just be a one-day affair? Sign the contracts, big thumbs up from all involved and away you go, with keys to a house and a few euro poorer?

I really don't grasp the length of time it takes? A builder I know is of the opinion that the buyers solicitor deliberately holds things up as they get the money from the bank straight away, and by taking long to do it, it gathers interest sitting in the bank, but im not sure if thats really true or not?

I would stop contacting the estate agent for updates , your solicitor is the best person to contact for updates , in case the estate is friendly with the seller and tells him/her you seem very eager and could be worth chancing an extra 5k from.

I really don't grasp the length of time it takes? A builder I know is of the opinion that the buyers solicitor deliberately holds things up as they get the money from the bank straight away, and by taking long to do it, it gathers interest sitting in the bank, but im not sure if thats really true or not?

Personally l think solicitors are taking on too much work , they see the dollar sign and take it on , when you think about it during the recession they were getting very few house sales now they are probably closing a couple a week if they are based in Dublin , l'd doubt interest rates on money in the account amounts to much but could be wrong .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

I would start viewing other properties to fall back on as it sounds like it could fall through and go back on market for 20 or 30 k extra

Should i have pushed harder for more action earlier on?
    I didn't want to be a pain in the ass but it hasn't paid off for me.

Anecdote: Friends of us had a really pushy solicitor that chased the other party on every minor detail. Other party got so annoyed that they threatened to pull out.

Make sure, that you have everything in order to close asap after signing contracts. Survey, have an idea about insurance and also chase up your own solicitor to make sure that he gets paperwork (for example planning permission for existing extensions and the like) that's required now rather than later. Our solicitor requested 2 additional documents after the contracts were signed, which delays everything again.
    Your own solicitor is your point of contact, make sure you have good communication with him, you pay him for that.

Anyway, don't forget that you're talking about the biggest purchase in your life here. Wait a while and have everything in order properly to close, it'll put your mind to ease.

Thanks for your advice.

God I'm so worried I can't sleep.

I really hope it doesn't fall through. It's the perfect house for me and I've put so much work into this project.

Bid accepted 17 June.
    Sale agreed 5th July.

When you say bid accepted 17 June and sale agreed 5th July do you mean you were the highest bidder from the 17th of June until they accepted your offer and then you paid the deposit on the 5th of July ?

If so then it isnt that long , as others have said keep your options open view other properties if you prefer , l wouldn't view any properties from the same estate agent tho ,but personally l think you are worrying too much , ask your solicitor what do they think on the situation , l don't think solicitors would lead each along on wild goose chases if they didn't think their seller was being genuine .

Ok thanks.
    What I mean is that my bid was accepted on 17 June and by the 5th of july i had paid my booking deposit and we had both found solicitors and the sale agreed notice arrived on 5th July.

Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement

Yeah, so you're officially into the process from the 5th of July. Before that there was no deposit down, therefore there was no formal sale agreement. That's not even 6 weeks. You're all fine, that's pretty much the normal timeline.

Wesser wrote: »
    Ok thanks.
    What I mean is that my bid was accepted on 17 June and by the 5th of july i had paid my booking deposit and we had both found solicitors and the sale agreed notice arrived on 5th July.

That's different - other party only engaged solicitors in early July (they should have done so as soon as putting house on market)

Add in holiday season and you can write off a month.

So with this info, I wouldn't be worried in the slightest. Once it starts moving, it should move quickly.

You need to get a survey done (solicitors not needed) so that you know there are no structural issues or other issues. This is a must - you have no comeback once contracts are signed if an issue is noticed.

Well I'm not actually sure exactly when she got the solicitor. But that was when I got mine. But yeah thanks for the reassurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Solicitors are a disgrace. I'm on the opposite end of a similar situation to you, OP. We do our best but our solicitor is some combination of dozy and lazy. Plenty of stuff we didn't know we had to do that could have been done before people were even bidding, yet it still took solicitor 5 week after sale agreed to get to "draft contract" stage and eventually ask us for stuff that was needed to do the contracts. We had no idea that the solicitor hadn't done a tap until the EA came back asking for an update for the purchasers.

It just sounds like their solicitor isn't prioritising it. Unfortunately that seems to be the norm.

On a related note, once we realised how little had been done, we lit a fire under the solicitor and relayed that to the buyer. They kept coming back more than weekly pestering via the EA. THAT made us want to pull out. There were plenty of other bidders almost as high as the final bid. the EA told them to calm down and leave us alone. Push, but don't push too hard. This stuff actually does take time and once everyone is moving then pushing only annoys people.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was an ombudsman office for solicitors - would soon put many of them on the back foot and actually working for their clients.

It must be the only profession that has absolutely no authority they have to answer to - and please don't say law society - boys club managing the boys club.

The problem here is that I am not the solicitors client.

Imo there should be a central conveyancig office, where contracts are checked and turned over in 2 weeks no need for a solicitor to get involved ... like piab....only need a solicitor if there are actual problems... there are not problems with the vast majority of contracts.....take the work off them if they can't do it right. Small fee say few hundred euro for the servive. That would solve the problem. .

But if there is an office like that there's no way that you'd get your paperwork within 2 weeks. More like 2 months if they have to deal with all the contracts issued in Dublin alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 joleen100

I am in the same situation but have being told by estate agent on many occasions that the vendors are in a rush to sell and want a quick sale (the house is currently empty).

Sale agreed and deposit paid the 30th June. Vendors said they have met with their solicitor and contracts are on the way - nothing yet. Very frustrating as I have handed in my notice to my landlord and he is keen for me to give a move out date!!!

Should I keep at the estate agent? I am ready to go my side with mortgage (everything with my solicitor) so just waiting on their contracts to get moving.

Anyone know how long it would take from getting vendors contracts to closing and getting the keys? Trying to not sorry too much.

Thanks

Our vendor was in a rush, we are cash buyers, there is no chain involved or anything, everyone wanted a quick deal and we close now after 12 weeks. It was a painfully slow process really, also getting into holiday season.
    I think people underestimate of how long this whole thing can take, especially during the summer months because the higher temperature get the slower everything is moving it seems :rolleyes:

There is nothing really you can do but waiting. Engage your solicitor to communicate with the other party about your situation, you might get lucky and it will speed things up a bit.
    But if the other party has to request titles from the bank first, that alone can easily take 6 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

What a lot of people need to remember is that the majority of Vendors do not get in touch with their Solicitors until the property is sale agreed. So you went sale agreed on the 5th July. The sales advice might not have reached the V's Solicitor for a few days. The Solicitor then needs to arrange a time for the V to come in and sign an ATR to be sent to the bank to take up the title deeds. Depending on the bank, the wait for title documents can be weeks. Some banks send back the standard ATR and ask for their own form of ATR to be signed... the client needs to then come back in again and suddenly you know it 2 weeks have passed. In the middle of all this the solicitor is on holidays. The title documents finally come and it might be another few days until the Solicitor has a final contract prepared.

Yes there are slow and inefficient solicitors out there but the majority are extremely busy people who simply don't have time to act on something the moment it comes through their letter box. 6 weeks without a contract is reasonable given the circumstances i.e. you have a Vendor who isn't pushy and title documents that need to come from a bank. It's a completely different story if the Vendor's deeds are sitting in their solicitor's safe and the Vendor is on the ball pushing their solicitor constantly. Like people have said above, don't put too much pressure on the EA. The EA's then have a tendency to wreck the V's Solicitors heads. Your own Solicitor will know the right times to write and ring the V's Solicitors.

Advertisement