Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mtb tubless tyre recommendations

Options
  • 12-08-2017 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations for 26 inch mtb tubless or tubless ready mtb tyres?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Thunder burts are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

Are you looking for a cross country tyre ( light, fast rolling but less grip) or trail / enduro tyre which would be heavier and not roll as well but offer more grip?
    I've used schwalbe tyres at both ends of that spectrum and can recommend them. Their tubeless tyres will b'é marked as "tubeless easy" or TLE for short.
    On a cross country setup id go for a nobby nic on the front , racing Ralph on the rear. That's a compromise that would work for a lot of trails. For enduro would go for magic Mary on the front and nobby nic on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Wot gerry said.

Fat Albert front is very good too as a slightly faster rolling nobby nic replacement - but only available on ebay nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Gerry wrote: »
    Are you looking for a cross country tyre ( light, fast rolling but less grip) or trail / enduro tyre which would be heavier and not roll as well but offer more grip?
    I've used schwalbe tyres at both ends of that spectrum and can recommend them. Their tubeless tyres will b'é marked as "tubeless easy" or TLE for short.
    On a cross country setup id go for a nobby nic on the front , racing Ralph on the rear. That's a compromise that would work for a lot of trails. For enduro would go for magic Mary on the front and nobby nic on the back.

Nobby Nic on front with Maxxis Larsen on back is a good combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

Nobby Nic on front with Maxxis Larsen on back is a good combo.

Yup I'm currently running nobby nic on front and onza canis on rear of my xc bike. I would have to say that I think the specialized s works fastrak i had on the rear before was a little better. Amazing grip on all conditions for a skinny race tyre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

I've currently got continental mountain king on the back but in the thriller yesterday it developed a belly or buck l e thst left me unable to continue. Wheel is 100 per cent true. I see the rocket ron on sale on crc. Any GOOD?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Rocket ron is a great tyre along with magic mary and most other high end tyres. It all comes down to what they're being used for and speed v grip trade off.

I've mountain king on mine and so far no issues other than loss of traction on some trails but it's very difficult to have the perfect tyre all of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Have had no luck with any of the Continental MTB tyres - they all failed, either buckles in the tyre or would rip apart if the sidewalls even touched a rock. I tried 3/4 Continentals before I gave up on them for ever for the MTB. (Still use them for the road bike though).

Obviously if you are doing XC and sticking to the trail centres, get XC tyres - not sure which to recommend for XC but for more aggressive mountain biking, including Enduro, a winning combo is the Schwalbe Hans Dampf on the back and a WTB Vigilante up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Really depends on what you're doing - I personally don't ride a lot of mucky trails and typically do a fair bit on the road linking the offroad sections. I find 2.25 Rocket Rons front and back to be a good compromise. I also think going for the "snakeskin" protection option is well worth the extra cost - I found the sidewalls a bit suspect on the standard ones!

Advertisement