Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance transfer

Options
  • 12-08-2017 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My girlfriend is currently paying insurance on her Golf while it is parked up, it is no longer road worthy, and not able to get another car for 2/3 months.

She has no intention of driving it again or fixing it up for NCT, my question is - is it possible for her to transfer her insurance onto my car so she could scrap or sell the Golf for a couple of hundred euro?

She doesn't want to sell it as it is as she is afraid it would void her insurance as she wouldn't be the owner of the car anymore.

I already have insurance on my car so is it possible to have 2 policy on the one car? I have her as a named driver on my policy too.

Her own insurance on the Golf isn't up til February.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

rizzee wrote: »
    Hi,

My girlfriend is currently paying insurance on her Golf while it is parked up, it is no longer road worthy, and not able to get another car for 2/3 months.

She has no intention of driving it again or fixing it up for NCT, my question is - is it possible for her to transfer her insurance onto my car so she could scrap or sell the Golf for a couple of hundred euro?

She doesn't want to sell it as it is as she is afraid it would void her insurance as she wouldn't be the owner of the car anymore.

I already have insurance on my car so is it possible to have 2 policy on the one car? I have her as a named driver on my policy too.

Thanks

No, you cannot have two policies operative on one vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Many insurance companies will suspend insurance for a period - no harm in asking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Many insurance companies will suspend insurance for a period - no harm in asking them.

+1 All of them will, you just need to hand in the cert and disc and they will stop the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Thanks for the replies.

I think she is going to keep it parked up and pay the next 2/3 months payments until she gets a new car then sell this one on, instead of suspending the insurance and waiting til she gets a new one. Would rather get the extra year no claims sooner than waiting around.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

No, you cannot have two policies operative on one vehicle.

Because?!

• Advertisement

rizzee wrote: »

Thanks

Just suspend the policy. Suspention is not cancellation, she will not loose the NCB acquired over this period.

There is a small fee for suspension, but will work out cheaper in the long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

grogi wrote: »
    Because?!

Insurable Interest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Because?!

Aside from insurable interest you also have the potential issue of who pays what in the event of a claim.

Insurable Interest

We have discussed that to death... Driver always have insurable interest to have tpl policy.

Aside from insurable interest you also have the potential issue of who pays what in the event of a claim.

The same issue arises when a driver is a named driver on two separate policies that have 'driving of other cars' extension.

• Advertisement

We have discussed that to death... Driver always have insurable interest to have tpl policy.

And if a loss occurs because of a defect in the vehicle, not belonging to the person who has taken out a policy? That person has no control over the maintenance and condition of the vehicle, where the genuine owner does

And if a loss occurs because of a defect in the vehicle, not belonging to the person who has taken out a policy? That person has no control over the maintenance and condition of the vehicle, where the genuine owner does

But a named driver does not have it either.

The same issue arises when a driver is a named driver on two separate policies that have 'driving of other cars' extension.

Driving of other cars never applies to a named driver

But a named driver does not have it either.

Exactly, but the person who holds the policy, holds the liability for that aspect of the loss

Driving of other cars never applies to a named driver

Let's not get technical - there are cases when driver would be covered by two or more policies. Take a same policy holder for two different cars. Driving of other cars on both policies.

Me thinks that in such case a proportional liability for the insurers applies. As the guaranteed insurance amounts are the same and required by law, the split is even...

Exactly, but the person who holds the policy, holds the liability for that aspect of the loss

Wait a sec...

By that logic the driver would not be liable for those issues, but the owner. So the driver does not need liability insurance in that area.

It would be extremely unwise for the vehicle owner to let the vehicle uninsured by him to be used. But is should not be a concern for the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Let's not get technical - there are cases when driver would be covered by two or more policies. Take a same policy holder for two different cars. Driving of other cars on both policies.

Driving of other cars only covers the policyholder when driving another car so there can never be a situation where 'driving other cars' applies twice.

What you're probably thinking of is a case where a car is borrowed, the driver has 'driving other cars' cover on his policy and the car's owner has 'open driving' on his policy so in theory, there is cover both ways.
    Me thinks that in such case a proportional liability for the insurers applies. As the guaranteed insurance amounts are the same and required by law, the split is even...

What typically happens is this: if your policy allows you to drive other cars, there will usually be a stipulation in your policy that such cover will only apply if there is no other cover. So if you borrow a friend's car and his policy has open driving and there is a claim, your insurance will tell you that the car's own policy has to pay the claim.

Advertisement