Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need a suit

• 12-08-2017 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend me a good place to get a suit in Dublin?

I'll be looking to get it in the next week as I need it for next weekend. I'll be using it for weddings, christenings, job interviews etc.

I'll be in town at some stage but I hate town so my preference would be somewhere in Liffey Valley or The Square maybe.

Budget wise, what's normal? €300? I'd be happy with that. Maybe up to €500 for a good one.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

The_B_Man wrote: »

I'll be looking to get it in the next week as I need it for next weekend. I'll be using it for weddings, christenings, job interviews etc.

I'll be in town at some stage but I hate town so my preference would be somewhere in Liffey Valley or The Square maybe.

Budget wise, what's normal? €300? I'd be happy with that. Maybe up to €500 for a good one.

Cheers.

I'm looking for one myself. Got my last one in Ted Bakers in Kildare Village, was around €260 for a 3-piece "Endurance" suit. It's good quality. I'm might try Marks & Spencer's, I hear they do decent suits and not too expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Marks and Spencer is definitely the best place for a suit on your budget. If you can swing a 3 piece I'd always recommend it because it gives you some versatility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Is a three piece the current fashion these days? Haven't bought a suit in a good few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Cheers.

https://www.louiscopeland.com/shop-menswear-c100/mens-suits-c34

Sale on there at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Is a three piece the current fashion these days? Haven't bought a suit in a good few years.

I'd always go with a 3 piece, particularly for a wedding- it makes a suit look far less corporate for those kinds of events. You don't have to wear the waistcoat but having it means you have the option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

If you have a bit more time, I can't recommend Suitsupply enough. It's online only (unless you're in London or some other city where they have stores), but you've got free delivery and returns. I used to buy M&S all the time but have now switched my allegiance! All my suits are now Suitsupply, and with suits from €299, you're within your budget.

I was in Louis Copeland once and the sales guy was admiring my suit and asked who made the wool - I showed him the label and he was agog as it was they same wool they used for their €1000+ suits.

For a slimmer fit I'd recommend the Washington or Soho; for a wider fit the Napoli.

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en_IE/suits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

The suits my OH has for social occasions tend to be different to the ones he'd wear to a job interview.... you'd want to choose carefully for it to do both. Maybe a navy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

the one i got for a wedding (i was a guest/family member) was a three piece. took me a while to pick a right fit, massimo at the corner of Anne St S and Dawson Street (don't confuse it with massimo dutti), exactly 300 for a three piece including small alteration to waistcoat.

Not crazy about 3 piece suits myself, especially ones at the lower end of the price range. They're a bit "premiership footballer". I'm bigger grey check or tartan.

You can't go wrong with a plain navy suit, nicely tailored. It's the most versatile. Pair with a white shirt, black oxfords and lightly patterned dark tie for interviews, or wear with a lighter tie for a wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Got a great suit last week in Baumler. Half price sale on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Got a great suit last week in Baumler. Half price sale on there.

GREAT sale on there at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

If you have a bit more time, I can't recommend Suitsupply enough. It's online only (unless you're in London or some other city where they have stores), but you've got free delivery and returns. I used to buy M&S all the time but have now switched my allegiance! All my suits are now Suitsupply, and with suits from €299, you're within your budget.

I was in Louis Copeland once and the sales guy was admiring my suit and asked who made the wool - I showed him the label and he was agog as it was they same wool they used for their €1000+ suits.

For a slimmer fit I'd recommend the Washington or Soho; for a wider fit the Napoli.

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en_IE/suits

How would you say the Suitsupply fits compare to M&S? I'm a regular fit guy for M&S, would Napoli fit true to size?

hots wrote: »
    How would you say the Suitsupply fits compare to M&S? I'm a regular fit guy for M&S, would Napoli fit true to size?

Yeah, I've been lucky in that I've found the SS suits to fit me perfectly, straight out of the box. The Napoli would be a more classic fit so would be comparable to an M&S fit (as in, it's not too slim). I would say if you are a 40L in M&S, you'll be a 40L for SS as well.

And if you're not, you can send it back for free. :)

Yeah, I've been lucky in that I've found the SS suits to fit me perfectly, straight out of the box. The Napoli would be a more classic fit so would be comparable to an M&S fit (as in, it's not too slim). I would say if you are a 40L in M&S, you'll be a 40L for SS as well.

And if you're not, you can send it back for free. :)

Sweet, cheers for the reply! Any idea how to select trouser sizes? I pick a suit and jacket size and then it jumps into the basket? (I may be being stupid)

Sweet, cheers for the reply! Any idea how to select trouser sizes? I pick a suit and jacket size and then it jumps into the basket? (I may be being stupid)

You can't separate them out, so the trouser size is determined by the jacket size. Usually, they come very long so either way you'll have to take them up. And there's plenty of wiggle room if you need to get them adjusted.

You can't separate them out, so the trouser size is determined by the jacket size. Usually, they come very long so either way you'll have to take them up. And there's plenty of wiggle room if you need to get them adjusted.

Wow that's really unusual? Normally you pick chest and waist size at the very least? Sod it with free returns I'll take a punt...

Wow that's really unusual? Normally you pick chest and waist size at the very least? Sod it with free returns I'll take a punt...

No, with most suits you get the trousers based on the jacket size. Only places like M&S allow you to mix and match.

You'll most likely be bringing it to a tailor anyway, so you can get the trousers altered.

No, with most suits you get the trousers based on the jacket size. Only places like M&S allow you to mix and match.

You'll most likely be bringing it to a tailor anyway, so you can get the trousers altered.

Showing myself up for buying like a peasant up until now... it makes buying a spare pair of slacks difficult so?

Showing myself up for buying like a peasant up until now... it makes buying a spare pair of slacks difficult so?

True, but I always find that doesn't really matter, as over time the jacket is going to wear anyway.

Best thing is to have about 5 or 6 suits in your wardrobe, so you're only wearing any particular suit only once a week. I've had suits for nearly two years that look brand new. Same with shoes.

True, but I always find that doesn't really matter, as over time the jacket is going to wear anyway.

Best thing is to have about 5 or 6 suits in your wardrobe, so you're only wearing any particular suit only once a week. I've had suits for nearly two years that look brand new. Same with shoes.

I'm on a rotation of 4 sets of shoes and replacing a suit to get back to a rotation of 3 there (4 formal days a week)... Would like to get up to 4 too though I think. Always been a fan of a second pair of trousers though, always wear quicker than the jackets...

• Advertisement
Advertisement