Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Right-wing vs. Left-wing Clashes [MOD NOTE POST #1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

wes wrote: »
    Well, I am sure the losers of the war saw themselves as patriots of course, but the I find it bizarre that we have current day people who call themselves Americans celebrate this kind of thing. I don't understand why people put up with it.

Because the Federal Government is not "America". Not that hard to understand.

VinLieger wrote: »
    What about the fact that after the war Lee himself opposed building confederate monuments?
    Not really respecting their supposed hero so much if they so fervently want to ignore his wishes?

I don't think that really matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,320 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

marcus001 wrote: »
    Because the Federal Government is not "America". Not that hard to understand.

And waving swastikas around is their way of showing what exactly?

I don't think that really matters.

That's convenient, he's their hero but his opinions don't matter......?

Christy42 wrote: »
    Was that why people marched along side the nazi flag?

No people march under a Nazi flag if they're Nazi's. Its not just the alt right that wants to retain the monuments. Normal people, particularly military families do too. If anything the alt right loves that they're trying to take them down because it gives them a cause to support that doesn't involve persecuting minorities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Lee's great great grandson has said moving the monuments to Museums would make perfect sense. He is right if it helps unify the country again.

That's convenient, he's their hero but his opinions don't matter......?

Its not a monument to his opinions its a monument to his military accomplishments.

Its not a monument to his opinions its a monument to his military accomplishments.

Ahh grand so its actually okay then to consider Hitler and his generals heros because of their military accomplishments?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

I don,t know how many people know of Avi Yemini an Australian political commentator,I thought he put it very well in this video when he talked about violence on many sides.

https://www.facebook.com/OzraeliAvi/videos/718104074980735/?hc_ref=ARSaHvqD8axxCEH2KzvTCkJ1wcXgGutN463_zdPcrvsn7oBM2ev1QLzc_bnFJ3tAtYk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

You misinterpret what he said,  he,s talking about Antifa wishing to silence anyone they disagree with, wishing to silence anyone they view as being right wing in any way shape or form, some people will very well get what,s talking about .

He used the term "alt left", so no misinterpretation. He chose to ape what Trump said. They do not exist:

'No such thing as the alt-left:' Donald Trump’s phrase for counter-protesters dismissed by extremism experts

Also, you misrepresent Antifa, they oppose fascism (an inherently good thing), and not as you claim anyone who is right wing. While, I disagree with there methods, your characterization of them is utter nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

You misinterpret what he said,  he,s talking about Antifa wishing to silence anyone they disagree with, wishing to silence anyone they view as being right wing in any way shape or form, some people will very well get what,s talking about .

He used the term "alt left", so no misinterpretation. He chose to ape what Trump said. They do not exist:

'No such thing as the alt-left:' Donald Trump’s phrase for counter-protesters dismissed by extremism experts

Also, you misrepresent Antifa, they oppose fascism (an inherently good thing), and not as you claim anyone who is right wing. While, I disagree with there methods, your characterization of them is utter nonsense.
    They only beat the hell out of anyone who disagrees, even normal conservatives and try to shut down public debates like the losers they are. Antifa can take a hike, thugs.

For Reals wrote: »
    The less well off or poor and disenfranchised are the puppets. It's the 'thinkers', of the privileged far right that stir these things up. All comes back to wealth and power.

Yeah, forgot about those who create the ideology, who share the lions share of the fault.

I have to remind myself to be careful not to demonize entire communities of white people, due to the Nazi/Racists, like we have seen with people from the Middle East etc. There are plenty of people who comes from communities blighted with these racists, who can be allies against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

No people march under a Nazi flag if they're Nazi's. Its not just the alt right that wants to retain the monuments. Normal people, particularly military families do too. If anything the alt right loves that they're trying to take them down because it gives them a cause to support that doesn't involve persecuting minorities.

Uh huh. When some of those come forward we can have a conversation about that. Till then we just have our nazi/KKK march. And no, there were no fine people in that march. Fine people would have seen what was going on and gone home.

This was launched as an extremist event from start to finish. No normal people involved. I reckon most families are more worried about the amount of neo nazis and white supremacists out than the statue.

They only beat the hell out of anyone who disagrees, even normal conservatives and try to shut down public debates like the losers they are. Antifa can take a hike, thugs.

They target fascist groups. I see people like you describe fascists/racists and normal conservatives doesn't make it so.

Again, disagree with there methods, but there cause is a just one. The other guys not so much.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Palmach wrote: »
    Many people throughout history owned and traded slaves. If you take down all their statues you'll have a lot of empty plinths. This is the left trying to extinguish history for their own political ends.

Hold on. It's not "the left" trying to do anything. Let alone "extinguish" history. FYI, extinguish makes no sense here, it's not on fire.

If people want to put up statues, they should be free to do so. If the local populace, the people who have to look at them every day, decide they should be taken down then down they come. It's really that simple.

The violence was because a group of neo Nazis decided the statue should stay up. That's it. No more complicated than that.

It's that simple. Do the people who live in a given town want the statue? Yes or no. Simple.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Right but supremacism and nationalism are two different ideologies.

Explain the difference please. I can't see any difference whatsoever.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Many people throughout history owned and traded slaves. If you take down all their statues you'll have a lot of empty plinths. This is the left trying to extinguish history for their own political ends.

Hold on. It's not "the left" trying to do anything. Let alone "extinguish" history. FYI, extinguish makes no sense here, it's not on fire.

If people want to put up statues, they should be free to do so. If the local populace, the people who have to look at them every day, decide they should be taken down then down they come. It's really that simple.

The violence was because a group of neo Nazis decided the statue should stay up. That's it. No more complicated than that.

It's that simple. Do the people who live in a given town want the statue? Yes or no. Simple.
    + 1- as I argued in a post on this thread yesterday evening it coulda been easier if the issue was put to a local referendum/direct democracy & let people vote on it .

They target fascist groups. I see people like you describe fascists/racists and normal conservatives doesn't make it so.

Again, disagree with there methods, but there cause is a just one. The other guys not so much.
    The Milo event in Berkeley was targeted by Antifa a few months ago, Milo isn,t a fascist, Ann Coulter death threats by Antifa once again Ann Coulter isn,t a fascist, Andrew Bolt a host of a political debate show was attacked in the street going about his business by Antifa, once again Andrew Bolt isn,t a fascist .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

I think people are confused and think that the rally at the weekend was not necessarily a far right rally.

To be clear, the rally at the weekend was absolutely an extreme right wing rally. So much so that many prominent figures on the right refused to be associated with it because of who was going to be there.

I wish that protest groups had stayed away though. These Neo-Nazi clowns made absolute idiots of themselves with their stupid torches and "blood and soil" chants and they would have been the subject of ridicule for weeks if the events had not taken a more serious turn.

The Milo event in Berkeley was targeted by Antifa a few months ago, Milo isn,t a fascist,

The nasty racist twitter harassment campaign against actress Leslie Jones says otherwise, also was that the one where one of Milo's supporters shot someone?

Shooting victim at Milo Yiannopoulos event wants 'dialogue' not charges

Ann Coulter death threats by Antifa once again Ann Coulter isn,t a fascist,

Which organization made this threat? Also, have you read her stuff........ Calling her a normal conservative is a stretch, she is definitely far right.
    Andrew Bolt a host of a political debate show was attacked in the street going about his business by Antifa, once again Andrew Bolt isn,t a fascist .

Never heard of him, and what group did this? Going to guess he is at least far right.

**EDIT**
    ok found a link, I see no mention of anti-fa at all:

Andrew Bolt says he 'wasn't going to be humiliated' during unprovoked attack

Andrew Bolt fights back after glitter and shaving cream attack

I see no mention of anyone being link to an Anti-fa group in regards to that attack.

• Advertisement

Saruhashi wrote: »
    I think people are confused and think that the rally at the weekend was not necessarily a far right rally.

To be clear, the rally at the weekend was absolutely an extreme right wing rally. So much so that many prominent figures on the right refused to be associated with it because of who was going to be there.

I wish that protest groups had stayed away though. These Neo-Nazi clowns made absolute idiots of themselves with their stupid torches and "blood and soil" chants and they would have been the subject of ridicule for weeks if the events had not taken a more serious turn.

Sadly, just leaving them alone hasn't worked either. There have been various far right terror attacks since Trumps election. There not going to go away if there ignored sadly.

Saruhashi wrote: »

To be clear, the rally at the weekend was absolutely an extreme right wing rally.  So much so that many prominent figures on the right refused to be associated with it because of who was going to be there.

I wish that protest groups had stayed away though.  These Neo-Nazi clowns made absolute idiots of themselves with their stupid torches and "blood and soil" chants and they would have been the subject of ridicule for weeks if the events had not taken a more serious turn.

"" I think people are confused and think that the rally at the weekend was not necessarily a far right rally. ""

I fully acknowledge the rally was an extreme right rally judging by their chants + display of banners etc,  when extreme left wing groups constantly attack Trump supporters in general, target people like Ann Coulter who aren,t fascist, then such extreme left groups are gonna be viewed + Interpreted by people as being against anyone who has or expresses any right wing views.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,657 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Post deleted. No more comedy links please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭DeadHand

you misrepresent Antifa, they oppose fascism (an inherently good thing), and not as you claim anyone who is right wing. While, I disagree with there methods, your characterization of them is utter nonsense.

The trouble being they brand anyone with views they find unpalatable as facist and proceed to beat the tar out of them. Their threshold is dangerously low when you see them assault the ordinary supporters of right wing figures. Trump isn't a facist nor are the vast bulk of his supporters. Milo isn't a facist, those who turn up to his talks don't deserve to get attacked. Both sets of people have been victims of Antifa street thuggery.

They shouldn't get to decide who is a facist, who is allowed to have an opinion and they definitely shouldn't get to enforce their decision by violence.

Hell, even if people are fascists they have no right to attack them physically. But the fact is genuine fascists are vanishingly rare in the modern USA. Antifa confront few genuine fascists and are far more likely to be found bullying, harassing and battering ordinary people who happen to fall on the Right side of the political spectrum.

They are a violent, authoritarian, anti-democratic, anti-American collection of scumbags that should be utterly dismantled by the authorities. And the same goes for their counterparts on the Right.

target people like Ann Coulter who aren,t fascist

Here are examples of racism from Ann Coulter:

Only Ann Coulter could make this dumb airline dispute racist

Ann Coulter’s Anti-Semitism Runs Deeper Than You Know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I'd be curious to know what the Kochs are thinking now that their monster has broken its leash

They probably don't give two fooks so long as their bottom line is maintained and getting the people on both sides to have at it each other probably suits their ultimate aim.

The more civil disturbance there are, the more authoritarian the state and security services can be allowed become.

Thinking back on earlier posts, I actually find it somewhat ironic how Air Chief Marshall "bomber" Harris, the one man who probably is responsible for putting more nazis in the ground than anyone else mentioned here, was referenced early in this thread as being akin to Lee (and thus someone not to be lauded) by the very ones shouting loudly about the evil of nazis and racists. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

DeadHand wrote: »
    The trouble being they brand anyone with views they find unpalatable as facist and proceed to beat the tar out of them. Their threshold is dangerously low when you see them assault the ordinary supporters of right wing figures. Trump isn't a facist nor are the vast bulk of his supporters. Milo isn't a facist, those who turn up to his talks don't deserve to get attacked. Both sets of people have been victims of Antifa street thuggery.

Again I refer to the fact that Milo was kicked off twitter (where the like of David Duke are still there), after leading hate campaign against actress Leslie Johns, and it was one of his supporters who shot someone. Using Milo as an example is very poor. He is no angel by any stretch.
    They shouldn't get to decide who is a facist, who is allowed to have an opinion and they definitely shouldn't get to enforce their decision by violence.

If your waving a Nazi flag, and hanging out with Nazi's and call yourself Alt-Right, its a pretty simple conclusion.
    Hell, even if people are fascists they have no right to attack them physically. But the fact is genuine fascists are vanishingly rare in the modern USA.

I disagree with there methods as I said earlier, and also the far right are growing faster than ISIS on social media:

White nationalist movement growing much faster than Isis on Twitter, study finds

Antifa confront few genuine fascists and are far more likely to be found bullying, harassing and battering ordinary people who happen to fall on the Right side of the political spectrum.

They are a violent, authoritarian, anti-democratic, anti-American collection of scumbags that should be utterly dismantled by the authorities. And the same goes for their counterparts on the Right.

Well there counterparts on the right are in the White house, and have been given free reign by the white house:

Exclusive: Trump to focus counter-extremism program solely on Islam - sources

Also, there is the fact that it was the Nazi's who murdered peaceful protesters, and not Anti-fa, and it is white supremacists who are increasingly engaged in terror attacks and not anti-fa, sorry but whataboutism is pretty uselessa this point.

The 2 sides are not the same. One want to wipe our all non-white people and any white person who disagrees with them. The only real comparison for Nazi's is ISIS.

**EDIT**
    Here is some example of what I am talking about:
    Sikh temple massacre gunman was 'white supremacist' Wade Michael Page

Dylann Roof sentenced to death for the murders of nine black church members

Portland attack: Man slits throats of would-be heroes who stepped in to stop Islamophobic abuse on MAX train

Kansas bar 'racist' shooting: Man who tried to save Indian victims says 'We're all humans'

There is no comparison between Nazi's and Antifa. The only comparison would be between Nazi's and ISIS.

Russia once again enabling Nazi's:

Shunned by GoDaddy and Google, racist Daily Stormer moves to Russian domain

How many Russians did Nazi's kill? Astonishing that there helping these monsters.

The Milo event in Berkeley was targeted by Antifa a few months ago, Milo isn,t a fascist,

The nasty racist twitter harassment campaign against actress Leslie Jones says otherwise, also was that the one where one of Milo's supporters shot someone?

Shooting victim at Milo Yiannopoulos event wants 'dialogue' not charges

Ann Coulter death threats by Antifa once again Ann Coulter isn,t a fascist,

Which organization made this threat? Also, have you read her stuff........ Calling her a normal conservative is a stretch, she is definitely far right.
    Andrew Bolt a host of a political debate show was attacked in the street going about his business by Antifa, once again Andrew Bolt isn,t a fascist .

Never heard of him, and what group did this? Going to guess he is at least far right.

**EDIT**
    ok found a link, I see no mention of anti-fa at all:

Andrew Bolt says he 'wasn't going to be humiliated' during unprovoked attack

Andrew Bolt fights back after glitter and shaving cream attack

I see no mention of anyone being link to an Anti-fa group in regards to that attack.

"" Which organization made this threat? Also, have you read her stuff........ Calling her a normal conservative is a stretch, she is definitely far right.""

It was Antifa organisations made such threats which in turn Berkeley canceled her talk due to safely concerns due to such threats.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/christinerousselle/2017/04/26/ann-coulter-cancels-berkeley-speech-n2318634

I read some of her stuff & watched her on fox a few times, I mightn,t agree with everything she says, but I wouldn,t label her as " fascist ".

"" Never heard of him, and what group did this? Going to guess he is at least far right. ""

There you go,that attitude is part of the problem a fellow you say you never heard of & you say "" Going to guess he is at least far right. "" 

Shortly afterwards a local Antifa group posted the following after the attack on Andre Bolt.

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"" Some of our family in solidarity were attacked by Andrew Bolt while they were protesting today. Why he isn't in prison for his horrendous, violent language yet is beyond me ""[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]425353.png[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]They describe people who attacked him as family & call assaulting someone as a form of protest .[/font]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

I'd be curious to know what the Kochs are thinking now that their monster has broken its leash

Probably delighted that they're going to get Pence into position earlier than expected.

On a separate note, why are we talking about antifa in the context of Charlottesville?

Sure they were present but clashes between demonstrators are (sadly) almost normal in US by now.

What elevates last weekend's events is two factors: the unashamed use of (literally) nazi paraphernalia, chants etc and the deliberate killing and attempted killing of peaceful non antifa protesters by an untheatened man in a car.

Antifa has nothing to do with either if these factors so discussing them is pure whataboutery and deflection.

Does antifa's carry on justify the chants, the banners, the poster (which didn't even mention the statue)? Did they justify the running down? The show of arms might be traced to antifa. Neither of the main horrors can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Palmach

Again I refer to the fact that Milo was kicked off twitter (where the like of David Duke are still there), after leading hate campaign against actress Leslie Johns, and it was one of his supporters who shot someone. Using Milo as an example is very poor. He is no angel by any stretch.

Except hen didn't lead a hate campaign and was falsely kicked off.
    The 2 sides are not the same. One want to wipe our all non-white people and any white person who disagrees with them. The only real comparison for Nazi's is ISIS.

There is no comparison between Nazi's and Antifa. The only comparison would be between Nazi's and ISIS.

The two groups have different ideologies but similar methodologies. So two sides of the same coin.

It was Antifa organisations made such threats which in turn Berkeley canceled her talk due to safely concerns due to such threats.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/christinerousselle/2017/04/26/ann-coulter-cancels-berkeley-speech-n2318634

No mention of anti-fa in that article....... I didn't dispute the threats, just that it came from an anti-fascist group.
    I read some of her stuff & watched her on fox a few times, I mightn,t agree with everything she says, but I wouldn,t label her as " fascist ".

Racist and very much far right. Her plane tirade was hilarious.
    There you go,that attitude is part of the problem a fellow you say you never heard of & you say "" Going to guess he is at least far right. "" 

Well, seeing as your the one talking about him, its not an unfair guess, and as I said its a guess. Don't know the guy.
    Shortly afterwards a local Antifa group posted the following after the attack on Andre Bolt.

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"" Some of our family in solidarity were attacked by Andrew Bolt while they were protesting today. Why he isn't in prison for his horrendous, violent language yet is beyond me ""[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]They describe people who attacked him as family & call assaulting someone as a form of protest .[/font]

Sure, so we have one guy beaten up for no good reason (an awful crime and I hope those who did it are caught), versus multiple Nazi/white supremacist terror attacks. Again,there is no comparison to be made between the 2.

**EDIT**
    Looks like are back to not knowing who the attackers were per later posts......
    **END EDIT**

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Being racist or far-right doesn't mean you are a fascist.

Except hen didn't lead a hate campaign and was falsely kicked off.

Going to trust twitter on that. He deserved to be kicked off. The man is a nasty piece of work, and the apologetics for him are just silly.
    The two groups have different ideologies but similar methodologies. So two sides of the same coin.

No, one has killed multiple people in terror attacks, the other hasn't the comparison, is just apologetics for Nazi's and nothing more.

Being racist or far-right doesn't mean you are a fascist.

No, but we have yet to establish that death threats were made by Anti-fa either. Its just being assumed.

Even if they did make those threats, the far right/Nazi's have killed people in multiple terror attacks, and regularly engage and harassment and hate campaigns against Women featuring death and rape threats.

One of the more recent notable harassment campaigns was caused by a Marvel comics editors, taking a picture of herself and some co-workers taking a selfie getting some milk shakes.

The comparison is apologetics nonsense and nothing more.

No, one has killed multiple people in terror attacks, the other hasn't the comparison, is just apologetics for Nazi's and nothing more.

Not yet. Did you see what happend in Hamburg? It is a question of time.

One is based off disagreeing about political beliefs and being against fascism, while their methods are flawed their goal is understandable.

The other is based off hating everyone of a specific skin colour, religion or birthplace. They have literally called for the death or internment of all members of these groups.

Their ideologies are in no way similar.

One is based off disagreeing about political beliefs and being against fascism, while their methods are flawed their goal is understandable.

The other is based off hating everyone of a specific skin colour, religion or birthplace. They have literally called for the death or internment of all members of these groups.

That is what I said if you had read my post. Whether a person is beating lard out of you is a fascist or antifa is small consolation for getting the lard kicked out of you. The fact that antifa have supposedly altruistic beliefs is no excuse for their wanton thuggery and brutality. In terms of methodology they are fascists.

Not yet. Did you see what happend in Hamburg? It is a question of time.

So basically, no comparison to be made then. Again, this whataboutism is tiresome.

Again, Nazi's murdered someone in a terror attack. They beat another man to a bloody pulp. Screaming antifa is just a sad excuse for Nazi terrorism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If your waving a Nazi flag, and hanging out with Nazi's and call yourself Alt-Right, its a pretty simple conclusion.

I disagree with there methods as I said earlier, and also the far right are growing faster than ISIS on social media:

White nationalist movement growing much faster than Isis on Twitter, study finds

Well there counterparts on the right are in the White house, and have been given free reign by the white house:

Exclusive: Trump to focus counter-extremism program solely on Islam - sources

Also, there is the fact that it was the Nazi's who murdered peaceful protesters, and not Anti-fa, and it is white supremacists who are increasingly engaged in terror attacks and not anti-fa, sorry but whataboutism is pretty uselessa this point.

**EDIT**
    Here is some example of what I am talking about:
    Sikh temple massacre gunman was 'white supremacist' Wade Michael Page

Dylann Roof sentenced to death for the murders of nine black church members

Portland attack: Man slits throats of would-be heroes who stepped in to stop Islamophobic abuse on MAX train

Kansas bar 'racist' shooting: Man who tried to save Indian victims says 'We're all humans'

Anti-Fa is a movement that is a hundred years old. It started with opposing fascism as it rose to dominate Europe in the post ww1 era. The fundamental basis for Anti-Fa is that by the time the average person realises that their state is slipping into fascism, it's already too late. The only way to fight fascism is to organise and use direct action to oppose them before they gain traction, to stop them from having any illusion of respectability, to deny them the platform to spread their hate.

People talk about free speech, When fascists have free speech, they use it to take power and then shut down free speech for everyone but themselves.

There are more than enough historical examples of this happening for it to be in any doubt.

These fascists are prepared to fight, but what they really want is a show of force. They want to be able to hold large rallies, deliver their speeches while the police and the state step aside and watch on, protecting their 'freedom of speech' as they call the take-over of the state and the subjugation of everyone who doesn't fit their ethnic profile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Their ideologies are largely different but there is an authoritarian control freak streak running through both, both come from the radical position of movements that have killed tens of millions.

They are closer to each other than either are to any democratic ideal.

Both need to be called out and opposed while they are still small.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

"" Which organization made this threat? Also, have you read her stuff........ Calling her a normal conservative is a stretch, she is definitely far right.""

"" Never heard of him, and what group did this? Going to guess he is at least far right. ""

fyi that Melbourne Antifa facebook group isn't real. It was set up to troll people. Next time have a proper look at a source to check it's not a piss take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Attending a football game is not one of the most cherished rights enshrined in the Constitution of Europe. Not really the best of analogies.

I'm not a constitutional scholar but I don't believe there is any protection for the right of groups to meet up and attack each other with sticks on the basis of disagreeing politically. Political hooliganism is to political protest and activism what football hooliganism is to attending a football game.

The solution is the same, identify the troublemakers and crack down on them so they cant continue their behaviour. The Charlottesville cops sat on their hands and allowed running battles to develop between violent groups, which culminated in the death of a person. That cant be seen as a good response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,602 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Ha ha...lol. :pac:

You really couldn't make that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Danzy wrote: »
    Their ideologies are largely different but there is an authoritarian control freak streak running through both, both come from the radical position of movements that have killed tens of millions.

They are closer to each other than either are to any democratic ideal.

Both need to be called out and opposed while they are still small.
    The Anti-Fa movement are largely anarchists, not communists. Anarchists have never been in power (not do they want to be) in order to commit the kinds of atrocities that Nazism and Stalinism were responsible for.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Why do these movements feel that any one who doesn't immediately and loudly agree with their specific point of view is a target for attack .

it was the same in the water protest here in Ireland and even the gay marriage vote.

there is no room for debate of even discussion is that how far from rationality we have fallen ?

lots of these movements seem to attract weak minded individuals. it it easier to let some one else think for you and become part of a mob ?

Akrasia wrote: »
    The Anti-Fa movement are largely anarchists, not communists. Anarchists have never been in power (not do they want to be) in order to commit the kinds of atrocities that Nazism and Stalinism were responsible for.

Actually, anarchists ran parts of Spain during the Spanish civil war. Zero atrocities. It's actually quite difficult to commit any sort of large scale atrocity when you believe in a stateless society.

they/them/theirs

mynamejeff wrote: »
    Why do these movements feel that any one who doesn't immediately and loudly agree with their specific point of view is a target for attack .

it was the same in the water protest here in Ireland and even the gay marriage vote.

there is no room for debate of even discussion is that how far from rationality we have fallen ?

lots of these movements seem to attract weak minded individuals. it it easier to let some one else think for you and become part of a mob ?

Define "these movements" and then support your point with evidence. I feel you're generalising all left wing groups as being the same thing.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,602 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

mynamejeff wrote: »

Oh please. Are you really trying to equate neo-nazis and anti-fa with the water protests and gay marriage supporters?

That's just crazy talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Sand wrote: »
    I'm not a constitutional scholar but I don't believe there is any protection for the right of groups to meet up and attack each other with sticks on the basis of disagreeing politically. Political hooliganism is to political protest and activism what football hooliganism is to attending a football game.

The solution is the same, identify the troublemakers and crack down on them so they cant continue their behaviour. The Charlottesville cops sat on their hands and allowed running battles to develop between violent groups, which culminated in the death of a person. That cant be seen as a good response.

Not only did they stand back but they also directed one group in to the other.

While it might have been a bit of a "let all these assholes kick the **** out of each other", it was horrendous policy.

People with hoodies covering their faces, whitehoods, masks and things that can be used as weapons should have been arrested and detained for a few hours.

There should have been restrictions on hoods that have militant right associations or Antifa associations from being allowed enter certain parts of the town.

It won't be the last event that leaves a death.

Antifa will now feel the need to step up to the plate to defend their control of the streets from the other gang and on and on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement