Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Right-wing vs. Left-wing Clashes [MOD NOTE POST #1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

manual_man wrote: »
    You're totally missing the point I made. I'm personally not making comparisons of the bigotry that exists on both sides of the political debate. I find bigotry and hatred in all it's form abhorrent. And I find it astonishing that some people are seemingly very reluctant to simply agree on this point - instead constantly seeking to compare, as if to say "well I believe this type of shít is worse, so let's only worry about that!". It's a childish and dangerous viewpoint to adopt, because if we only focus on one type of bigotry and ignore others, then the ones we ignore will become bigger and more aggressive and intolerant. Evil takes it's shape in many different forms and I think that's something many people are finding difficult to grasp. It's just my wish that people keep their eyes open and seek to tackle hatred in ALL it's forms.

Peace out!

The point is; one group believe in white supremacy, the rest of us don't.
    Any violence on either side cannot and does not change that.
    May as well talk about people on either side wearing trousers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

pitifulgod wrote: »
    When you're making a Neo Nazi rally where one of them killed people as a reason to complain about Antifa is frankly bizarre. Only one side of that rally was populated by hateful bigots.

Many I think are looking at this from a bigger picture than just that one day, so naturally, they are going to hear Antifa were there and just think it was a full house of violent control freak thugs.

Though in fairness it does not mean that all that were counter protesting are thugs, most weren't but their legitimate action was hijacked by thugs, doesn't mean that the other said wasn't probably thugs to a man.

Look at this from the broader context.

Danzy wrote: »
    Many I think are looking at this from a bigger picture than just that one day, so naturally, they are going to hear Antifa were there and just think it was a full house of violent control freak thugs.

Though in fairness it does not mean that all that were counter protesting are thugs, most weren't but their legitimate action was hijacked by thugs, doesn't mean that the other said wasn't probably thugs to a man.

This is not about who can and can't be violent, if both are capable, it's some how on par, as you seem to be suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Out of interest, do you agree with any of the points of those marching on Saturday? If so, would you mind elaborating on which aspects you agree with? As it seems distinctly like certain posters have an incredible amount of bias going on. :rolleyes:

For Reals wrote: »
    Why are you making excuses for white supremacists?

As I pointed out I said I have no trouble having them hit with iron bars across the head.

They are assholes but there is precious little to suggest that Antifa are not assholes as well.

They each offer nothing but long term pain to society and history has borne that out time after time.

Nothing wrong with thinking that both groups of assholes should be squashed from the face of the earth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

You should really use different accounts for these kind of things, when your posting on 2 similar threads from a completely different view in each one you become a bit see through.

As I pointed out I said I have no trouble having them hit with iron bars across the head.

They are assholes but there is precious little to suggest that Antifa are not assholes as well.

They each offer nothing but long term pain to society and history has borne that out time after time.

Nothing wrong with thinking that both groups of assholes should be squashed from the face of the earth.

This is not about who can and can't be violent. If both are capable, it's some how on par, as you seem to be suggesting.
    You are trying to compare white supremacists with others based on violent behaviour. It doesn't hold water.

Out of interest, do you agree with any of the points of those marching on Saturday? If so, would you mind elaborating on which aspects you agree with? As it seems distinctly like certain posters have an incredible amount of bias going on. :rolleyes:

I'm not that familiar with their specific beliefs but I doubt if there would be any I would agree with.

There are general things like collectivism, greater State control in the economy, that I agree with but not with just having it for one part of society and that would be more to my own left wing leanings rather than their interpretation of it. They aren't people I would associate with

Out of that movement who do you most read, are you friends with some, what do you think is their core motivation?

This is not about who can and can't be violent. If both are capable, it's some how on par, as you seem to be suggesting.
    You are trying to compare white supremacists with others based on violent behaviour. It doesn't hold water.

I just don't like violent, authoritarian thugs, whether they think they are better or worse than others just increases my dislike for them.

If you want to argue that both Antifa and the Nazis are authoritarian thugs but that the Nazi side was a more immediate threat on the day, then I won't disagree but they are too alike in many ways to proclaim them different

I think ye are so absolutist and tribal in thinking that calling our marauding mobs is now viewed as outing myself as a Nazi.

Ye are just as bizarre as those that ye oppose.

• Advertisement

I just don't like violent, authoritarian thugs, whether they think they are better or worse than others just increases my dislike for them.

If you want to argue that both Antifa and the Nazis are authoritarian thugs but that the Nazi side was a more immediate threat on the day, then I won't disagree but they are too alike in many ways to proclaim them different

No I don't. That's your agenda.
    White supremacists are entirely wrong and should be treated as criminals IMO, based on being white supremacists.

People from any ideology who act violently should be treated for that behaviour. One has nothing to do with the other. There is no equivalency here, only those spouting pro racist spin or those naive enough to believe it.
    One group wants to put themselves above others while decent humans do not.

No I don't. That's your agenda.
    White supremacists are entirely wrong and should be treated as criminals IMO.

People who act violently should be treated for that behaviour. One has nothing to do with the other. Their is no equivalency here, only those spouting pro racist spin or those naive enough to believe it.
    One group wants to put themselves above others while decent humans do not.

They are different and supremacism should be crushed but don't kid yourself if the type that make up Antifa ended up controlling the State that you and me both wouldn't end up against the wall eventually.

Dangerous asshholes can have a just reason to fight other dangerous assholes .

I agree that people who act violently should be sorted out.

Only one are bigot racists, antisemites and all round hateful. They also have an aim of an ethnostate. The other opposes all of the above. That's a substantial difference that really does make all the difference in terms of one being far far far worse. But you and others have ignored these aspects repeatedly.

You've diverted from the act of terror which one of them perpetrated. Their movement's focal point is hate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The point is; one group believe in white supremacy, the rest of us don't.

One group believes in white supremacy, the other group believes that whites and males are somehow less equal than everyone else and therefore fair game for hate speech. That's the comparison.

Only one are bigot racists, antisemites and all round hateful.

Again, this is not correct. The extreme left is just as racist and sexist as the extreme right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,308 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Again, this is not correct. The extreme left is just as racist and sexist as the extreme right.

The extreme left is multicultural though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

This is amazing news. Can you offer proof of this?

Overheal wrote: »
    The extreme left is multicultural though?

And yet it regards tweets such as #KillAllMen as acceptable because "men cannot be victims of sexism", and are therefore fair game for hate speech. It churns out article after article in the media about how straight, white men (or any combination of these three demographic traits) are the root of all evil and are born with original sin for which they must feel shame. It engages in violent rioting in order to prevent speakers who oppose these paradigms from speaking on college campuses, and failing that it pulls fire alarms to prevent any such talks from taking place.

If you hammer, bait and provoke people for long enough, they will radicalise. It's a simple fact of nature. The alt-right and extreme left are mirror images of eachother, but it was the left who started the current culture wars - the alt right is merely a reactionary movement.

This is amazing news. Can you offer proof of this?

I'm on my phone at the moment but as soon as I'm on my laptop I'll collate some links to man bashing and white bashing in the mainstream media coming from left wing authors. I won't have to look too far afield either - our very own Una Mullally and Louise O'Neill are seasoned experts in this field.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

One group believes in white supremacy, the other group believes that whites and males are somehow less equal than everyone else and therefore fair game for hate speech. That's the comparison.

What's the evidence for that? Most antifa seem to be white and male as well.

• Advertisement

20Cent wrote: »
    What's the evidence for that? Most antifa seem to be white and male as well.

I'm not talking just about antifa but the radical identity politics left in general, which has a lot of crossover with antifa. It probably wasn't "antifa" who rioted in Berkely to make sure Milo Yiannapolous' lecture got cancelled on safety grounds, but you can bet that a lot of those same people identify with antifa as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

It's amazing that the hard left wing in America have now given these obese, gun toting neo nazi scumbags & redneck militias an arguably legitimate excuse outside of promoting outright fascism, to congregate in force for protests now. It doesn't strike me as coincidence that it's being ratcheted up in response to Trump's election either.

All this for statues. Statues that have existed for decades & generations in Southern states and are there so long now that a lot of moderate southerners now view them as part of their "heritage". Don't get me wrong, taking them down from the likes of Baltimore and overtly African American districts is common sense. We can argue til we're blue in the face that it was all about slavery, a lot of other people would argue that it was originally a war of secession and state rights vs federal law and Big Brother up in the North East. Either way this whole thing is inevitably going to antagonize the extreme spectrum of white, christian America.

This whole thing has just devolved to a promotional platform served on a plate to Nazi Nazis and those other insufferable basement dwellers ANTIFA. I really think this whole sudden Confederate statue outrage has just been fuelled and overblown by bored, over sensitive left wing radicals who read too much VICE news. It's more a trendy cause du jour for 2017.

I'm on my phone at the moment but as soon as I'm on my laptop I'll collate some links to man bashing and white bashing in the mainstream media coming from left wing authors. I won't have to look too far afield either - our very own Una Mullally and Louise O'Neill are seasoned experts in this field.

Seriously, this is the best argument you can offer to justify counter protesters as equivalents of Neo Nazis? It's a pretty warped and inaccurate view.

Seriously, this is the best argument you can offer to justify counter protesters as equivalents of Neo Nazis? It's a pretty warped and inaccurate view.

So you think that advocating for gender-based violence (by tweeting #KillAllMen for instance) or politically motivated violence (it's ok to punch Richard Spencer because of his beliefs) are somehow less serious offences than advocating racially motivated violence...?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Ugh. It's hard to have a serious discussion with someone who insists on talking in caricatures.

Don't bother trawling the Internet for the most extreme examples you can find. We're talking about Charlottesville. Can you show us where the anti-fascists in Charlottesville want to #killallmen?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Ugh. It's hard to have a serious discussion with someone who insists on talking in caricatures.

Don't bother trawling the Internet for the most extreme examples you can find. We're talking about Charlottesville. Can you show us where the anti-fascists in Charlottesville want to #killallmen?

I haven't tried, I will this evening. The thread title is "right vs left wing violence", isn't it a bit of a cheap debating tactic to define the parameters of that discussion as including only an incident of right wing violence, and not allow anyone to reference previous incidents of left wing bias?

If you want the conversation to be a non-debate with a foregone conclusion, fair enough. It's like suggesting that the Irish rugby team is sh!te because they didn't play well in one particular match, but refusing to let anyone counter by referencing other matches in which they did in fact play well.

They are different and supremacism should be crushed but don't kid yourself if the type that make up Antifa ended up controlling the State that you and me both wouldn't end up against the wall eventually.

Dangerous asshholes can have a just reason to fight other dangerous assholes .

I agree that people who act violently should be sorted out.

You are not understanding.
    Bad people are bad people; agreed.
    Bad people with opposing views do not counter or excuse each other.
    Therefore if white supremacists, who are racist by ideology, commit acts of violence, and others with opposing views also commit acts of violence, does not excuse or make acceptable any white supremacist.
    Talk of 'both sides' is apologist especially when in relation the charlottesville race rally, we should be talking about the racists and their rally and the ideology.

To be clear, people doing bad things should face consequences. This does not mean we can't talk about the ALT Right white supremacists without trying to make comparisons.
    If the only other people there were antifa, and each member a member of a minority and each member spouting race hate against whites and one of them murdered somebody, okay, compare away.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I haven't tried, I will this evening. The thread title is "right vs left wing violence", isn't it a bit of a cheap debating tactic to define the parameters of that discussion as including only an incident of right wing violence, and not allow anyone to reference previous incidents of left wing bias?
    You can call it a cheap debating tactic if you want. Lots of people seem to have their assorted reasons for wanting to talk about anything - anything! - other than the fact that armed frigging Nazis are parading in American cities, but as far as I'm concerned that's the story.
    If you want the conversation to be a non-debate with a foregone conclusion, fair enough.
    And if you want to try to downplay the fact that armed Nazis are marching in the streets of US cities by constantly rabbiting on about every bad thing that any extreme leftist has ever done, knock yourself out. But unless you can show that the anti-fascist protesters in Charlottesville conform to the stereotype you're portraying, you're just engaging in whataboutery.

You are not understanding.
    Bad people are bad people; agreed.
    Bad people with opposing views do not counter or excuse each other.
    Therefore if white supremacists, who are racist by ideology, commit acts of violence, and others with opposing views also commit acts of violence, does not excuse or make acceptable any white supremacist.
    Talk of 'both sides' is apologist especially when in relation the charlottesville race rally, we should be talking about the racists and their rally and the ideology.

To be clear, people doing bad things should face consequences. This does not mean we can't talk about the ALT Right white supremacists without trying to make comparisons.
    If the only other people there were antifa, and each member a member of a minority and each member spouting race hate against whites and one of them murdered somebody, okay, compare away.

I have no problem with people who went there to protest against the rally, I have no time for the rally or its participants or their counterparts who also turned up to join the first group.

The people protesting the rally are not all Antifa, most of them are presumably decent people doing their bit, their opponents and enemy are not just on the far side of the Street.

• Advertisement

You can call it a cheap debating tactic if you want. Lots of people seem to have their assorted reasons for wanting to talk about anything - anything! - other than the fact that armed frigging Nazis are parading in American cities, but as far as I'm concerned that's the story. And if you want to try to downplay the fact that armed Nazis are marching in the streets of US cities by constantly rabbiting on about every bad thing that any extreme leftist has ever done, knock yourself out. But unless you can show that the anti-fascist protesters in Charlottesville conform to the stereotype you're portraying, you're just engaging in whataboutery.

The thread title is literally "violent right wing vs left wing clashes in the US". How that gives you the impression that we can only discuss one example of violence from one side is entirely beyond me. If someone creates a thread about the Kinahan vs Hutch feud in general, would you accuse anybody referencing violence by the Kinahans as "whataboutery" because th Regency Hotel shooting carried out by the Hutches got more media coverage, or involved higher calibre weaponry, or resulted in more casualties?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The thread title is literally "violent right wing vs left wing clashes in the US". How that gives you the impression that we can only discuss one example of violence from one side is entirely beyond me. If someone creates a thread about the Kinahan vs Hutch feud in general, would you accuse anybody referencing violence by the Kinahans as "whataboutery" because th Regency Hotel shooting carried out by the Hutches got more media coverage, or involved higher calibre weaponry, or resulted in more casualties?

Mod note:

Enough backseat moderation and lazy generalisations. Specific serious debating points only

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

Are you arguing that the people who opposed the fascists in Charlottesville are advocating the elimination of private property? Because that's an incredible stretch.

And if that's not your argument - if you're trying to make a point about communists in general - what does it have to do with Charlottesville?

The post I was responding to was
    mynamejeff wrote: »
    why shouldn't violent left wing political extremists be criticized as much as violent right wing ones ?

Since when has this discussion been confined to Charlottesville? Look at the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

Antifa and Neo-Nazis are two rival groups of hooligans. They show up in masks armed with poles, bats, knives and helmets. Having an argument over who started it is as fruitful as watching paint dry. The confrontation is mutual.

On another point, anyone who thinks Antifa are some noble defenders of minorities is utterly misguided. I actually know a few people in it over here. Some of them, particularly the older ones, are lifelong activists, but a large proportion of them are just thugs, pure and simple. They were thugs in school and they're thugs now. If they lived in England in the 90's they'd be fighting rival football firms, and if you place this type of person in the USA in 2017 they'll end up fighting rival ideologues.

The Neo-Nazis, although I don't know any are likely just the same type of person they just happen to be right wing instead of left wing. Antifa and Neo-Nazism are both fuelled by pure anger and self-loathing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

marcus001 wrote: »
    The Neo-Nazis, although I don't know any are likely just the same type of person they just happen to be right wing instead of left wing. Antifa and Neo-Nazism are both fuelled by pure anger and self-loathing.

I'm transcribing a twitter thread below.
    "When Hitler marched into Poland in 1939, my grandma was two years old. It was not immediately obvious that anything was changing in her town. When she was 4 years old, she was playing outside when she suddenly heard yelling and screaming. She looked across the yard to see Nazis and to see the dead body of her three year old neighbor boy who had been playing loudly in his yard. The Nazis were annoyed by the noise.

They shot him dead on the spot. 3 years old. Dead from a Nazi bullet. A couple of months later, my grandmother and her family were woken up very early in the morning. They were told to get up and go outside. They were marched to the train station. Her father got on one train. Her mother, her baby sisters, and her were put on another. On the first day my grandma, who was five now, was in Majdanek, she and the other children were told to line up outside before breakfast.

The Nazi soldier counted each child.

One...two...three...four...five...six...seven...eight...nine...the tenth child was shot. The soldier told the children that any bad child would be shot. So they must work and not complain or be loud. My grandma was a Polish Catholic, which was only a couple steps above a Polish Jew. One of the officer's wives decided she wanted a child so she "adopted" my grandma. Changed her name. Told her her mother was dead. And that she was a German now.

The day the news broke that the Allies were coming to Poland, the German officer and his wife left in a hurry. In so much of a hurry that they forgot my grandma, their special new daughter. She was found in one of the officer's homes after 3 days alone. The Red Cross took her in, and they asked her her name, which she barely remembered. They spent six months looking for her family.

They were eventually found, somehow all alive. Aunts and uncles weren't, but mother, father, and baby sister were. My grandma did not remember the Nazi officer and his wife with fondness. She did not view them as humans or benefactors. And she did not tell me this story until the day she took me to the gates of Majdanek. Where she broke down screaming at the memories.

That was in 2001. 56 years after she was rescued by the Red Cross. Those horrors did not fade with time. They were ingrained in her brain. And if you believe that Neo-Nazis are "good people" or they "deserve a voice", I remind you of a three year old boy shot dead.

That is what giving the Nazis a voice in 1933 led to. It led to my grandma sobbing outside a place where she was imprisoned. The Nazis did not start with these things. They started with a voice. And a message. And it ended in unspeakable horrors.

And that? That is why Neo-Nazis don't deserve a voice. Because those they worship didn't just talk."

They're not the same. Anybody equating neo-nazis to antifa should hang their heads in shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

They're not the same. Anybody equating neo-nazis to antifa should hang their heads in shame.

That is how Nazism progressed. How did the gulags progress? I think antifa are not good either. They appear to have a very authoritarian streak. I don't like where they may lead us too either. We need to keep an eye on the Nazi elements of the WN movement, the violent elements of BLM and the authoritarian elements of Anti-fa. Stop giving antifa a free pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭jooksavage

red ears wrote: »
    That is how Nazism progressed. How did the gulags progress? I think antifa are not good either. They appear to have a very authoritarian streak. I don't like where they may lead us too either. We need to keep an eye on the Nazi elements of the WN movement, the violent elements of BLM and the authoritarian elements of Anti-fa. Stop giving antifa a free pass.

The same argument was being made about trade unions in 1930s. At best it distracts from the real threat presented by neo-nazis, at worst it rationalises their existence.

The obsession with the counter protesters certainly isn't a mainstream concern. I haven't seen ANY senate Republicans temper their condemnation of the Charlottesville fascists by levelling criticism at the "other side". And before anyone suggests the likes of Lindsay Graham or John McCain are being cowed by the left, that's not happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

Are they as bad as nazis? That is what many posters have been saying and the argument being countered.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Are they as bad as nazis? That is what many posters have been saying and the argument being countered.

Which Nazi's. The true Nazi's of 1940s Germany or the ones like Gavin McInnes, Lauren Southern and Baked Alaska who have been labeled Nazi's in 2017?

Which Nazi's. The true Nazi's of 1940s Germany or the ones like Gavin McInnes, Lauren Southern and Baked Alaska who have been labeled Nazi's in 2017?

Grand, if you think the likes of Baked Alaska have been unfairly "labelled" you're really pinning your colours to the mast.

The 20th century have shown us where both movements can lead us. The Nazi's to what happened in WW2 and anti-fa left wing authoritarianism to what happened in the Soviet union, China's cultural Revolution and Cambodia.

• Advertisement

jooksavage wrote: »
    The obsession with the counter protesters certainly isn't a mainstream concern. I haven't seen ANY senate Republicans temper their condemnation of the Charlottesville fascists by levelling criticism at the "other side

Because they are too afraid such is the climate we live in. Where people are labelled a Nazi on a whim. This sadly is a symptom of the growing authoritarian left hysteria.

I don't know a lot about baked Alaska btw but simply by mentioning him has been enough for you to label me a Nazi lol. Kind of proving my point about why politicians fear going against the mob. I suppose I better Google him now to learn all about my new bedfellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

Shocking that you can't even march alongside a nazi flag and chant anti Jewish slogans without being labelled a nazi these days.

I am a little confused as to how much more evidence you want here? Just repeating that they have been labelled as such on a whim does not make it so.

A couple of pages back, I went through every single name on the poster for the rally. Only two didn't self describe as a white nationalist or supremacist... So yep they are very much so Neo Nazis. They admire the likes of Hitler. They chant "blood and soil" and engage in Nazi salutes. It's absolutely that you're intent on diminishing the seriousness of rally and misrepresenting what the rally stood for.

Because they are too afraid such is the climate we live in. Where people are labelled a Nazi on a whim. This sadly is a symptom of the growing authoritarian left hysteria.

Indeed, the likes of Lindsay Graham, Marco Rubio and Ted f***ing Cruz are afraid what liberals will say about them, right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Enzokk wrote: »
    I think going for a name like Emancipation Park instead of Oak Park would be a good thing. The reason I think there is so much simmering hate is because the US hasn't really faced up to their history, and changing names to neutral ones from names like Lee Park just hides the issue further.

If the US decides that it wants to be a slave owning country again then they can bring back these statues and Confederate symbols. Seeing as they do not believe this I think it is right to face up to the past. If that is by having people walk past parks that associate the past or statues of slaves in chains, as there is memorials here in Ireland about the famine, then so be it. Until they don't have a honest conversation about their past I don't think they can truly move on to the future.

But in all ready tense racial environment using the name Emancipation Park just drives another wedge between people.

If the US needs to face up to it's history as you say then why start in 1865 and not 1776, when people like Washington were quite content to be slave owners.

I read a few years ago that students at Prenston wanted something named after Woodrow Wilson to be changed because Wilson supported segregation.

Why start at Wilson, why not go back all the way.

But in all ready tense racial environment using the name Emancipation Park just drives another wedge between people.

If the US needs to face up to it's history as you say then why start in 1865 and not 1776, when people like Washington were quite content to be slave owners.

I read a few years ago that students at Prenston wanted something named after Woodrow Wilson to be changed because Wilson supported segregation.

The end of slavery is driving a wedge? Then it's against a pretty dodgy group of people. The statue is also a Jim Crowe Era statue from 20s...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Who would be offended by the name emancipation park?
    Those who would prefer it named after the guy who wanted slavery.

Anyway back to the progression thing. If alaska has turned into a neo nazi then f**k him. I'm more interested in where the likes of antifa and tearing down statues may lead us. I'm reading plenty about the fear that these nazi types may lead us back to 1940's Germany. Where will the ever increasing intolerant authoritarian left and antifa lead us if that progresses. Did Mao and Stalin not progress from somewhere too? 100 million dead in the 20th century due to that movement and 60 million dead due to nazi idology. I condemn both sides.

Btw ban Nazi flags. Prosecute anyone carrying them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Absolutely not!
    Look at the make-up of the two marches. The Nazis were almost entirely white men. The counter protesters were men and women of all backgrounds

The AntiFa movement is mostly anarchists and libertarian socialists. Egalitarianism is a founding principle of Anarchism.

They are not the same, but they are not as different as you make out either.

They are closer to each other than they are to the rest of society.

Neither have anything positive to offer most people, if you are middle class and you have an authoritarian streak, find that you need to control people, and get turned on by the idea of violence then you'll find a home in Antifa or in militant far right, the ideology is 2nd to that in most cases.

That doesn't mean that all those that protest or organize against blatant fascists are assholes, no their movement is being hijacked by people like Antifa.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement