Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Right-wing vs. Left-wing Clashes [MOD NOTE POST #1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

From the New York times.

"" 
    [font=nyt-cheltenham, georgia, "times new roman", times, serif]Were all of the counterprotesters nonviolent?[/font]
    [font=georgia, "times new roman", times, serif]No. A complete picture of the violence that took place in Charlottesville is still unfolding, as those who were arrested face an array of charges and more photographs and videos emerge from the chaotic scenes. After a car barreled into a crowd of counterprotesters and killed a 32-year-old woman, the organizer of the “Unite the Right” rally, Jason Kessler, was heckled, punched and forced to flee a news conference by an angry crowd. ""[/font]

[font=georgia, "times new roman", times, serif]"" Groups that identify as anti-fascist — also known as antifa (pronounced an-TEE-fa) — have been physically confronting neo-Nazis, white supremacists and, in some cases, speakers who merely challenge the boundaries of political correctness on college campuses across the country. ""[/font]

[font=georgia, "times new roman", times, serif]"" In Charlottesville, about 20 members of a group called the Redneck Revolt, which describes itself as an anti-racist, anti-capitalist group dedicated to uniting working-class whites and oppressed minorities, carried rifles ""[/font]

[font=georgia, "times new roman", times, serif]If you turn up at a rally, any rally be it a right wing or a left wing rally with guns or rifles you re not a peaceful protester & you re looking for trouble, Trump is 100% correct to say on many sides.[/font]

[font=georgia, "times new roman", times, serif]https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/14/us/who-were-the-counterprotesters-in-charlottesville.html[/font]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

For Reals wrote: »

You, me, them, everybody, everybody...

OK so do you think its OK that if your white in America you get blamed for virtually everything?

White privilege? Explain that to a white person who is barely making ends meet
    Feminism? Blames me especially white men for what they think is a rape culture, gender pay gap etc
    Wars? Just because America had gone to war its the white mans fault when the majority of people have no say in it
    Police killing black? When BLM start marching we hear the anti cop & anti white slogans being chanted. More white people per year get killed by police & blacks than black people getting killed by police & whites
    Safe spaces? For everyone except whites especially not the straight white man
    Which is reversed segregation
    There are many other examples why white people feel they are being hard done by. You can talk about slavery but again there are many white people who's ancestors were not even in America at the time

Some new laws I think the authorities should pass to try better policy rallies vs counter rallies.

( 1 ) Anyone attending a public political rally in a real life gathering should be required by law to show their face, no face coverings , that goes for both sides.

( 2 ) Anyone seen to be carrying a gun or carrying any sort of weapon to a protest/rally should face Immediate arrest,this goes for both sides.

( 3 ) Protest vs counter protest at the same time in the same area, Police should keep both sides apart as best as they can.

From the New York times.

"" 
    [font=nyt-cheltenham, georgia, "times new roman", times, serif]Were all of the counterprotesters nonviolent?[/font]
    [font=georgia, "times new roman", times, serif]No. A complete picture of the violence that took place in Charlottesville is still unfolding, as those who were arrested face an array of charges and more photographs and videos emerge from the chaotic scenes. After a car barreled into a crowd of counterprotesters and killed a 32-year-old woman, the organizer of the “Unite the Right” rally, Jason Kessler, was heckled, punched and forced to flee a news conference by an angry crowd. ""[/font]

[font=georgia, "times new roman", times, serif]"" Groups that identify as anti-fascist — also known as antifa (pronounced an-TEE-fa) — have been physically confronting neo-Nazis, white supremacists and, in some cases, speakers who merely challenge the boundaries of political correctness on college campuses across the country. ""[/font]

[font=georgia, "times new roman", times, serif]"" In Charlottesville, about 20 members of a group called the Redneck Revolt, which describes itself as an anti-racist, anti-capitalist group dedicated to uniting working-class whites and oppressed minorities, carried rifles ""[/font]

[font=georgia, "times new roman", times, serif]If you turn up at a rally, any rally be it a right wing or a left wing rally with guns or rifles you re not a peaceful protester & you re looking for trouble, Trump is 100% correct to say on many sides.[/font]

[font=georgia, "times new roman", times, serif]https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/14/us/who-were-the-counterprotesters-in-charlottesville.html[/font]

Wow maybe the media are finally going to report the truth. Thats the main reason theres been protests/marches because the MSM reporting only one side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Help!!!! wrote: »
    OK so do you think its OK that if your white in America you get blamed for virtually everything?

Feminism? Blames me especially white men for what they think is a rape culture, gender pay gap etc
    Wars? Just because America had gone to war its the white mans fault when the majority of people have no say in it
    Police killing black? When BLM start marching we hear the anti cop & anti white slogans being chanted. More white people per year get killed by police & blacks than black people getting killed by police & whites
    There are many other examples why white people feel they are being hard done by. You can talk about slavery but again there are many white people who's ancestors were not even in America at the time
    As a white straight male and not being a minority in any way, have not been subjected in any way to discrimination. I imagine this applies to you too. Meanwhile discrimination based on sexual orientation, race etc is an institutional problem.

Wow maybe the media are finally going to report the truth. Thats the main reason theres been protests/marches because the MSM reporting only one side

Have you accepted that it was a Neo Nazi rally yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

The KKK were the military arm of the Democratic party now the party of African Americans. Ever wonder why African Americans are told to be the victim all the time? Slavery/white privilege etc? So they dont better themselves, live in ghettos, keep voting Democrat. Keep telling people they are victims & they will start believing it. There is a higher percentage of an African American being a distant relation of a slave owner than a white person. Why? Because a very small percentage of white people owned slaves but a larger percentage of the African American owned slaves

People died for that flag so no its not

People died for the freedom of expression that includes being able to burn the flag.

The KKK were the military arm until the Republicans went on their southern strategy and they switched over. I have no idea what the relevance is though? Or what the existence of black slave owners in the past has to do with it? Are you suggesting black people don't face discrimination or what here?

Some new laws I think the authorities should pass to try better policy rallies vs counter rallies.

( 1 ) Anyone attending a public political rally in a real life gathering should be required by law to show their face, no face coverings , that goes for both sides.

( 2 ) Anyone seen to be carrying a gun or carrying any sort of weapon to a protest/rally should face Immediate arrest,this goes for both sides.

( 3 ) Protest vs counter protest at the same time in the same area, Police should keep both sides apart as best as they can.

Happened at one protest all ready where antifa had to unmask
    Flags only on bamboo sticks would help
    Police have been told to stand down by mayors/politicians

Christy42 wrote: »
    People died for the freedom of expression that includes being able to burn the flag.

The KKK were the military arm until the Republicans went on their southern strategy and they switched over. I have no idea what the relevance is though? Or what the existence of black slave owners in the past has to do with it? Are you suggesting black people don't face discrimination or what here?

Black people dont face as much discrimination as others will make out. They are told its the fault of the white man that they live in ghettos/poor/get shot by police when the majority of white people have nothing to do with it. Was life better for black people under Obama?

pitifulgod wrote: »
    As a white straight male and not being a minority in any way, have not been subjected in any way to discrimination. I imagine this applies to you too. Meanwhile discrimination based on sexual orientation, race etc is an institutional problem.

Have you accepted that it was a Neo Nazi rally yet?

Oh right the old " only minorities can be discriminated against " argument. Well I've lived in London for many years & I have been racially abused by non whites

Alt right many different factions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

marcus001 wrote: »
    Thanks for the confirmation that you don't know what you're talking about. The alt-right is characterised primarily by white identity politics and open advocacy for white interests. No matter how much you may think the Tea Party are racist or outside of the mainstream they're not underground like the alt-right is. Rand Paul is in the Tea Party. Paul Ryan was in the Tea Party. Donald Trump isn't even part of the alt-right. I don't think you appreciate just how out there their views are.

I never said the Tea Party was a racist group. Those disenchanted with the Republican movement like the ALT Right. I am not comparing like with like, I'm stating the ALT Right and Trump hijacked the Tea Party movement.
    Where is the Tea Party now compared to several years ago? Where is the ALT-Right? A definite dynamic shift.
    Trump is ALT-Right and so is every member of the GOP who sit silently watching, content it's not Hilary.

• Advertisement

Nice try.
    It's the Trump Alt-Fascists blaming all their ills on minorities.

I'm not a proponent of the term 'white privilege'.
    However, I understand that things are generally harder for minorities.

You seem to be having an argument of your own making here.
    I don't feel any guilt for the slave trade. I understand why their descendants don't wish to view statues commemorating a war to keep it.
    I would suggest all the gripes listed above do not excuse or explain white based terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Can I ask the point of this post?
    Does it someohow explain or excuse the nazi's?

New York Post actually.
    Big difference.

Oh right the old " only minorities can be discriminated against " argument. Well I've lived in London for many years & I have been racially abused by non whites

Alt right many different factions

Nope, you're still misrepresenting the fact that it was most definitely a Neo Nazi rally... There's plenty of footage to back this up.

Random street abuse is not equivalent to an institutional issue. You're not going to be less likely to get a job etc. Institutional discrimination is well documented. This can mean everything from getting a lesser quality of education to job prospects being affected. There's a pretty good This American Life episode on it. A school district had a lower quality of education, the district was being merged into white area as result. A public meeting was called, the parents of the primarily white school claimed the new black students would be more violent and likely to drug deal. There was no issue of violence or drugs in the school. Tonnes of stereotypes came out. That's an example of an institutional problem.

Nice try.
    It's the Trump Alt-Fascists blaming all their ills on minorities.

I'm not a proponent of the term 'white privilege'.
    However, I understand that things are generally harder for minorities.

You seem to be having an argument of your own making here.
    I don't feel any guilt for the slave trade. I understand why their descendants don't wish to view statues commemorating a war to keep it.
    I would suggest all the gripes listed above do not excuse or explain white based terrorism.

1: So its OK for BLM marching with there anti white slogans? MSM seem to think so. Racism is racism
    2: Why is it that African & Asians do much better than African Americans?
    3:There is no excuse for any type of terrorism nor am I trying to

I'm a firm believer in if you work hard you will over come anything. African Americans like to call other AA's coconuts, unkle toms, oreos if they start doing well or getting on with white people. The majority of African Americans problems are of their own making. They would be better off cleaning up their own neighbourhoods

Race, like religion, is used as a vehicle for self interested parties to garner support from the less enlightened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The KKK were the military arm of the Democratic party now the party of African Americans. Ever wonder why African Americans are told to be the victim all the time? Slavery/white privilege etc? So they dont better themselves, live in ghettos, keep voting Democrat. Keep telling people they are victims & they will start believing it. There is a higher percentage of an African American being a distant relation of a slave owner than a white person. Why? Because a very small percentage of white people owned slaves but a larger percentage of the African American owned slaves

People died for that flag so no its not

Republicans and Democrats switched platforms. The Republicans of the 1860s are the Democrats of today and vice versa https://www.livescience.com/34241-democratic-republican-parties-switch-platforms.html
    Black people dont face as much discrimination as others will make out. They are told its the fault of the white man that they live in ghettos/poor/get shot by police when the majority of white people have nothing to do with it. Was life better for black people under Obama?

There are more black men currently in us prisons per capita than there was in South African prisons under apartheid so clearly there is an issue.

‎Philando Castile was stopped 52 times by police before being killed. Trevor Noah has said he has been stopped 8-10 times in the 5-6 years he has lived in the US, do you think he lives in a ghetto?

20Cent wrote: »
    Can I ask the point of this post?
    Does it someohow explain or excuse the nazi's?

Again I am not excusing nazis or terrorists
    I was merely trying to explain my take on being a white male in America

• Advertisement

1: So its OK for BLM marching with there anti white slogans? MSM seem to think so. Racism is racism
    2: Why is it that African & Asians do much better than African Americans?
    3:There is no excuse for any type of terrorism nor am I trying to

I'm a firm believer in if you work hard you will over come anything. African Americans like to call other AA's coconuts, unkle toms, oreos if they start doing well or getting on with white people. The majority of African Americans problems are of their own making. They would be better off cleaning up their own neighbourhoods

You're wrong.
    Chris Rock put it well; "If you are a black C or D student you can get a job in McDonalds, maybe make manager one day. If you're a white C or D student you can become President of the United States" (George W. era)

...but whites need look to minorities to blame and that's okay?

Nope, you're still misrepresenting the fact that it was most definitely a Neo Nazi rally... There's plenty of footage to back this up.

Random street abuse is not equivalent to an institutional issue. You're not going to be less likely to get a job etc. Institutional discrimination is well documented. This can mean everything from getting a lesser quality of education to job prospects being affected. There's a pretty good This American Life episode on it. A school district had a lower quality of education, the district was being merged into white area as result. A public meeting was called, the parents of the primarily white school claimed the new black students would be more violent and likely to drug deal. There was no issue of violence or drugs in the school. Tonnes of stereotypes came out. That's an example of an institutional problem.

Yes one good example. Do you not agree that African Americans are there own worst enemies? Food stamps & benefits have ruined them. Single parent families ( usually ) mother, kids out on the streets all hours of the night.

Again I am not excusing nazis or terrorists
    I was merely trying to explain my take on being a white male in America

You won't even admit it was a nazi rally....

You're wrong.
    Chris Rock put it well; "If you are a black C or D student you can get a job in McDonalds, maybe make manager one day. If you're a white C or D student you can become President of the United States" (George W. era)

Thats BS & that mentality is the reason why they have problems

Yes one good example. Do you not agree that African Americans are there own worst enemies? Food stamps & benefits have ruined them. Single parent families ( usually ) mother, kids out on the streets all hours of the night.

Don't agree they are their own worst enemies.
    Why do you think they are?

You're wrong.

Also Africans & Asians can get on with things why are African Americans different?

• Advertisement

You won't even admit it was a nazi rally....

Do you think all that the MSM/antifa call alt right are nazis?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Left v Right is a problem for the First World Elite.

How many life essentials do you get/pay for?

Tool up because if the rest of the world finds out what you're arguing about they'll be heading to the land of milk and honey on unseaworthy boats or the undercarriage of a truck.

Do you think all that the MSM/antifa call alt right are nazis?

A few pages ago I went through every speaker at the really, only 2 on the list weren't self described white supremacists or nationalists. Attending as a supporter of such a rally, makes you complicity in modern day Nazism. Not even the likes of Fox are dismissing it being a Neo Nazi rally.

Don't agree they are their own worst enemies.
    Why do you think they are?

Africans & Asians can go to America & do well in education/business whats the difference with African Americans? The AA's act like victims blame everyone else for their problems,why?? Because white liberals have been feeding them that lie for so long. Malcolm X warned of the white liberals

A few pages ago I went through every speaker at the really, only 2 on the list weren't self described white supremacists or nationalists. Attending as a supporter of such a rally, makes you complicity in modern day Nazism. Not even the likes of Fox are dismissing it being a Neo Nazi rally.

There are other groups like Patriot Prayer, The Proud Boys, Lauren Southern etc that are regarded as Alt right but didnt go because of the KKK/Nazis & the fact the mayor was messing around with the permit
    Would you call them Nazis?

• Advertisement

A wise man once said if you want to rid the world of racism, just stop talking about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

A wise man once said if you want to rid the world of racism, just stop talking about it

Did you just make that up yourself.

It's a terrible quote to be fair.

Africans & Asians can go to America & do well in education/business whats the difference with African Americans? The AA's act like victims blame everyone else for their problems,why?? Because white liberals have been feeding them that lie for so long. Malcolm X warned of the white liberals

Wow it's so close to calling them inferior. Implied so much.

Did you just make that up yourself.

It's a terrible quote to be fair.

Morgan Freeman

Wow it's so close to calling them inferior. Implied so much.

Well if thats what you take from it, thats on you
    But explain why Africans & Asians can do better in education/business?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Banned

White House Alt right advocate Steve Bannon has resigned. Did he jump or was he pushed yet to be confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

White House Alt right advocate Steve Bannon has resigned. Did he jump or was he pushed yet to be confirmed.

Apparently he was pushed.

I suspect there will be a Trump tweet any minute now!

Probably window dressing. They can hardly fire Trump.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

More off topic posts removed. This isn't about travellers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

You're wrong.

Are you really claiming the son of a president is representative the average white man? :PAC:

You seem to be unaware of how affirmative action works. A black C student has a better chance of getting into university than a white or Asian C student.

Morgan Freeman

Joe Dolan

:)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Both Hitler and Ghandi were men. Therefore, from that point of view, they are the same.

It's easy to draw parallels if you're prepared to be fatuous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

Is it OK that there are groups taking enjoyment from burning the stars & stripes?
    What would we in Ireland do if there were people burning the tri-colour?

Head south every July 12th?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Both Hitler and Ghandi were men. Therefore, from that point of view, they are the same.

It's easy to draw parallels if you're prepared to be fatuous.

The largest monument in Dublin still standing is for a fat Lord no citizen cares for.

I wouldn't knock it but it's true Dub that it is still there. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

Korat wrote: »
    The largest monument in Dublin still standing is for a fat Lord no citizen cares for.

I wouldn't knock it but it's true Dub that it is still there. :)

But the point is that we have a democratic system for choosing whether to knock it or keep it, and Dublin City Council can deal with any proposal on its merits. It's the same in Charlottesville. Their local representative body exercised its right to move the statue. By all means protest it, but if the decision is democratic and not in breach of individual constitutional rights (as distinct from wishes), it is not for protesters to impose their will on the democratic process.

In Ireland we lost many historical monuments because they weren't moved when public opinion changed

The William of Orange statue on his horse on College Green would be a great tourist attraction if it was moved before the IRA blew it up. likewise Nelson on his pillar.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Most of our parents used violence to discipline us when we were growing up. Nazis used violence. Therefore, our parents were as bad as Nazis.

Are we done being fatuous yet?
    The far right are criticised for using violence.
    Nazis are criticised for being Nazis. There's quite simply no need to draw any parallels, unless you're aiming for the "Nazis are no worse than anyone else" schtick, in which case you are Donald Trump and I claim my five Canadian pesos.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,657 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Korat wrote: »
    Joe Dolan

:)

Post more constructively please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement