Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart lightswitches?

• 12-08-2017 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭

Looking into smart lighting, but not a fan of the wireless switches of Philips, IKEA, etc.

Ideally I'd like to utilise the existing wiring and place the smarts in the switch itself. The ideal outcome would be to able to control each light either via the wired switch or via Alexa, smartphone app, etc. What's the best solution here? It looks like I have a neutral wire in behind each lightswitch, so is it as simple as putting a Lightwaverf inline relay in each box?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Looking into smart lighting, but not a fan of the wireless switches of Philips, IKEA, etc.

Ideally I'd like to utilise the existing wiring and place the smarts in the switch itself. The ideal outcome would be to able to control each light either via the wired switch or via Alexa, smartphone app, etc. What's the best solution here? It looks like I have a neutral wire in behind each lightswitch, so is it as simple as putting a Lightwaverf inline relay in each box?

I thin lighwave is one way communication only, so for that reason I would be reluctant to use that. Look at a z wave solution if you are already wired as a normal house and not rewiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

Have a look at Xiaomi. I've been using the wired version for a couple of months now and couldnt be happier
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103515689&postcount=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

I thin lighwave is one way communication only, so for that reason I would be reluctant to use that. Look at a z wave solution if you are already wired as a normal house and not rewiring.

Yeah, Lightwave is currently 1-way only and I occasionally have issues with commands not working.

Bigger reason not to buy Lightwave now though is that 2nd generation of Lightwave is on the way. This will incorporate 2-way comms, but no confirmation of backward compatibility with the current hub or any of the devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭niallb

If you have neutrals at the switches in Ireland you're very lucky and can choose from lots of devices.
    I have the more common two wires to the switch and I thought I was out of luck with most brands.

A suggestion to install the switch relays closer to the light fitting where the neutral was available opened up the choices for me as I have easy attic access above most of the fittings I want to use. Not quite as straightforward as replacing a switch but will give a good result as it leaves the switches on the wall untouched.

Advertisement