Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Callaghan's Garage

Options
  • 12-08-2017 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

I noticed O'Callaghan's closed last Monday. Demolition work already seems to have started - it's only now it's being demolished, I notice just how poor the state of the building was. It's a wonder the building did not fall down about their ears!! None the less, it was still a sad sight in a funny sort of way.

But am wondering if the garage will be rebuilt or if the council have finally got the land to widen the Ballyhooley Road?

Does anyone know what's going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I noticed O'Callaghan's closed last Monday. Demolition work already seems to have started - it's only now it's being demolished, I notice just how poor the state of the building was. It's a wonder the building did not fall down about their ears!! None the less, it was still a sad sight in a funny sort of way.

But am wondering if the garage will be rebuilt or if the council have finally got the land to widen the Ballyhooley Road?

Does anyone know what's going on?
    I heard it was sold and a new garage as well as a chipper will be built on that site.
    Should be open in 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

I missed the fuel sale, 99 cent a litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Top oil bought it will be doing food etc .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

This place is now reduced to ground level. Are they making it similar to applegreen next door?

Is it incorporating the old hogans car yard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

This place is now reduced to ground level. Are they making it similar to applegreen next door?

Is it incorporating the old hogans car yard?

From what I heard, yes and yes. Can't see how that will work. Applegreen's is always banged out, and poor O'Callaghan's quickly lost custom. It went downhill real fast which was a real shame. A bit like when the Texaco was there.

I understand there's supposed to be a chippy going in. I can see the residents kicking up a stink over that. (Excuse the pun! :P)

• Advertisement

From what I heard, yes and yes. Can't see how that will work. Applegreen's is always banged out, and poor O'Callaghan's quickly lost custom. It went downhill real fast which was a real shame. A bit like when the Texaco was there.

I understand there's supposed to be a chippy going in. I can see the residents kicking up a stink over that. (Excuse the pun! :P)

Big competition for Applegreen so, Will it turn into something like the Texaco in Fermoy with Supermacs as part of it?

Can't see how incorporating hogan's yard is going to work.

There's a kinda posh estate across from the site so as you say, they'll kick up stink :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Was O 'Callahan's the place that did coal, gas, car washes and tended the pumps?

Was O 'Callahan's the place that did coal, gas, car washes and tended the pumps?

That's the one

That's the one

That was such a busy spot.
    Does everything have to be shiny and new??

That was such a busy spot.
    Does everything have to be shiny and new??

They were forced into it after the Applegreen revamp I reckon.

At least the old place offered a bit of character.
    They were making big business there, not just from the coal but also the building materials they sold as well as car batteries etc.

• Advertisement

They were forced into it after the Applegreen revamp I reckon.

At least the old place offered a bit of character.
    They were making big business there, not just from the coal but also the building materials they sold as well as car batteries etc.

I thought that their clientele were less fickle than that. Oooo shiny new filling station, I think I'll abandon my regular station of years that had great prices and service because it's not new!

I thought that their clientele were less fickle than that. Oooo shiny new filling station, I think I'll abandon my regular station of years that had great prices and service because it's not new!

It's the way society appears to be going, the new Applegreen in Hollyhill is similar with Burger King and Subway now on that site.

Was O'Callaghan's closed down Afor redevelopment by them or did top oil buy it outright?

It's the way society appears to be going, the new Applegreen in Hollyhill is similar with Burger King and Subway now on that site.

Was O'Callaghan's closed down Afor redevelopment by them or did top oil buy it outright?

Unfortunately, yes. It's the way of the world, I suppose. Suited me just fine, as I could nip in, buy petrol/fags/lottery tickets and nip out again. It was odd how the closure was handled. I used to go to O'Callaghan's practically every day and was in there just the Sunday before buying fags. So they girls in there knew me very well. Nothing was said.

I went to work the next day. Came back to find the gaff empty and the fencing up. Nobody knows for certain what's going on. I do know the council was after his land for years as they want to widen the Ballyhooley Road.

Unfortunately, yes. It's the way of the world, I suppose. Suited me just fine, as I could nip in, buy petrol/fags/lottery tickets and nip out again. It was odd how the closure was handled. I used to go to O'Callaghan's practically every day and was in there just the Sunday before buying fags. So they girls in there knew me very well. Nothing was said.

I went to work the next day. Came back to find the gaff empty and the fencing up. Nobody knows for certain what's going on. I do know the council was after his land for years as they want to widen the Ballyhooley Road.
    From Keatings furniture right up to the traffic lights outside O'Callaghan's could be widened now if that's the case.

Just home from passing there, plenty of land to develop even if the road was widened. They could do with another lane turning left/going straight on though.

I think I know what's happening with O'Callaghan's now...

It is my understanding that a Burger King will be going in there. Surprised, as I saw nothing on the council website, and asking around seemed to yield no results. So I went the Route One method and asked my local councillor direct.

I thought if a restaurant was going in, then that's a change of use and planning permission would be needed. I suppose that's the name of the world now. Put in what you like, and worry about the legalities later!

It is my understanding that a Burger King will be going in there. Surprised, as I saw nothing on the council website, and asking around seemed to yield no results. So I went the Route One method and asked my local councillor direct.

I thought if a restaurant was going in, then that's a change of use and planning permission would be needed. I suppose that's the name of the world now. Put in what you like, and worry about the legalities later!
    Burger King??????

With an Applegreen next door who have a Burger King contract?

Sound very odd.

Are they widening the road using some of the O'Callaghan's land also?

There isn't a BK in Applegreen's...

There isn't a BK in Applegreen's...

There is,Applegreen Hollyhill has a BK,the one in Ballyvolane was supposed to get one before they changed their mind about it.

There is,Applegreen Hollyhill has a BK,the one in Ballyvolane was supposed to get one before they changed their mind about it.

The Applegreen's in Ballyvolane is clearly the one I was referring to. Not Hollyhill. It doesn't matter that Applegreen's changed their minds. There isn't one in there!

The Applegreen's in Ballyvolane is clearly the one I was referring to. Not Hollyhill. It doesn't matter that Applegreen's changed their minds. There isn't one in there!

Where are you saying the BK is going, O'Callaghan's site or Applegreen Ballyvolane?

• Advertisement

It is my understanding that a Burger King will be going in there

I have bolded the parts in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cork789

It's a spar & Supemacs Drive thru going into the O'Callaghan site.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

From Keatings furniture right up to the traffic lights outside O'Callaghan's could be widened now if that's the case.

Just home from passing there, plenty of land to develop even if the road was widened. They could do with another lane turning left/going straight on though.
    They'd need a few bucket's of land fill :eek:
    From Keatings its a deep valley just inside the ditch, till you get to the old concrete blocks yard.

Tom44 wrote: »
    They'd need a few bucket's of land fill :eek:
    From Keatings its a deep valley just inside the ditch, till you get to the old concrete blocks yard.

I had a look down from keatings the other day, it’s a steep drop down the other side.

I can’t make out from construction work if they are using some of the land to make another lane of traffic.

Hogans yard is still kind of there.

It looks like the foundation for the forecourt is set and in a similar position to the older one.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

I had a look down from keatings the other day, it’s a steep drop down the other side.

I can’t make out from construction work if they are using some of the land to make another lane of traffic.

Hogans yard is still kind of there.

It looks like the foundation for the forecourt is set and in a similar position to the older one.
    And the €5 car wash sign is still up, I must drive in and ask for one. :)

If not, I'll do them for false advertising. :cool:

Tom44 wrote: »
    And the €5 car wash sign is still up, I must drive in and ask for one. :)

If not, I'll do them for false advertising. :cool:

Where is the sign?

I drove by yesterday and forgot to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

I was getting my hopes up there will be room for truck parking too. There's no where to pull in without blocking up the whole place to get a cup or a bite to eat and it would clean up with all the heavy traffic that travels that road

Rave.ef wrote: »
    I was getting my hopes up there will be room for truck parking too. There's no where to pull in without blocking up the whole place to get a cup or a bite to eat and it would clean up with all the heavy traffic that travels that road

The most we could probably hope for is the tractor unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

The most we could probably hope for is the tractor unit.

Yeah it's a shame tho. Even a few spots like Garvys centra in dungarvin would be ideal.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's a shame tho. Even a few spots like Garvys centra in dungarvin would be ideal.

Garvey’s is a grand spot.

Did you ever go to Applegreen in Lemybrien?

I found it a bit small for trucks.

Advertisement