Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Callaghan's Garage

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Passed the site yesterday morning coming from Keatings towards the Junction with the N.R.R

It's coming along nicely so far, the only thing remaining of the entire original development is the small wall where the fish van used to park, this itself is on borrowed time i suspect.

Goodbye to lengthy delays on the road now soon all going to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

I dunno. It's great the road is at last being widened and the dangerous bend will be removed. The work is coming along nicely. But I have a real problem with the garage and the drive-through takeaway. All the gains from the road widening will be lost with traffic trying to get to the garage.

Madness having two big garages so close to each other...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

According to the article dated October 27th an inbound cycle lane from Gordon's hill to the city centre is being developed.

Restrictions in place until December 2017.

http://www.corkcity.ie/services/roadstransportation/transportationdivision/roadclosuresanddiversions/

I hope the cycle lane isnt going down Gordon's Hill! ;)

When I was in my early teens we used cycle down it at top speed before slamming on the brakes before turning onto the main road. :pac:
    You couldn't pay me to do that now!
    Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Good progress being made excavator below the road a lot of infilling done too.

ofcork wrote: »
    Good progress being made excavator below the road a lot of infilling done too.

Yeah it's coming on nicely, what i did spot however was the bit of wall on the North ring road side that was part of Hogan's has only been partially removed.

I'd have thought they'd have taken all that down as well.

Is there any artist photos of what the place will look like once it's all done and dusted in February?

• Advertisement

The new lane is starting to take shape, the ground for it is now leveled.

I assume that the road will be ready by late January going on the grand opening date of February 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 a25c

The new lane is starting to take shape, the ground for it is now leveled.

I assume that the road will be ready by late January going on the grand opening date of February 2018.

As I said earlier it’s two separate jobs.Roadworks aren’t due for completion till April.
    Road is going one way after the holidays to allow for mains installation....

North or southbound?

Just saw it will be closed northbound from next Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 DCD162

• Advertisement

Got the letter from the contractors yesterday. I knew the road was going to be closed, and essentially made one way, but when I read it again properly, I nearly lost the plot!

The road will be closed to install a CYCLE LANE!!! FFS, the road is narrow enough as it is, and traffic will potentially be a nightmare with the new garage going in with the drive-in takeaway. Does nobody in the council think these things through??

The road desperately needed to be widened with the dangerous bend by Keatings removed. That's being done but now there's a clusterfcuk going on with the installation of the cycle lane.

Jesus wept.

The road will be closed to install a CYCLE LANE!!!

They want to turn the place into Beijing.

Any gains in widening the road will evaporate quick due to cyclists who will refuse to use the lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Traffic is crazy this morning around by the Mayfield library and Ballyhooley road. They Ballhooley road is blocked outbound from Glen Avenue. I thought the diversion would be from the bottom of Gordons Hill. This means I can't turn left at the top of Glen Avenue if I want to go up Gordons Hill to Mayfield. Lots of congestion at the top of Gordons Hill too. I'm coming from Ringaskiddy through the tunnel to the Glen at 8am Any other route will be just as bad if not worse I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Harika

Traffic is crazy this morning around by the Mayfield library and Ballyhooley road. They Ballhooley road is blocked outbound from Glen Avenue. I thought the diversion would be from the bottom of Gordons Hill. This means I can't turn left at the top of Glen Avenue if I want to go up Gordons Hill to Mayfield. Lots of congestion at the top of Gordons Hill too. I'm coming from Ringaskiddy through the tunnel to the Glen at 8am Any other route will be just as bad if not worse I think.

I would try to go down the North Ring Road and drive up the Glen from the other side. Usually the traffic around this time is not too bad.

Even though the sign is there you could chance turning left as the one way only starts at keatings,if you are coming from ringaskiddy north ring road would do you can still turn left in ballyvolane.

ofcork wrote:
    Even though the sign is there you could chance turning left as the one way only starts at keatings,if you are coming from ringaskiddy north ring road would do you can still turn left in ballyvolane.

Well that's what I did last night going in, but there was no way you could have done that this morning with all the traffic queueing on the Ballyhooley Road. The entire lane is blocked off. I was thinking of the North Ring, but the traffic from Ballyvolane was as bad, as was the traffic on Glen Avenue. I'll give it a go and see. I think if the let the cars go down as far as the bottom of Gordons Hill it might relieve some if the pressure.

Harika wrote:
    I would try to go down the North Ring Road and drive up the Glen from the other side. Usually the traffic around this time is not too bad.

I was thinking that too, but traffic was bad going througb the Glen too. My other half had trouble getting out of the estate this morning with all the cars blocking the entrance. I'm hoping it was just a bad morning traffic wise and some people were caught on the hop and that it will ease off as people get used to it.

The whole situation is an absolute joke. You can always rely on Cork City to fcuk things up royally. First of all, they were stupid enough to approve planning for a big garage with a takeaway, when there is something similar just around the corner. So that will of course increase traffic.

Then - just as we thought something useful might finally be done with the Ballyhooley Rd (you know - sensible stuff like widening the road, removing the dangerous bend, paving and lighting the road properly and all that good stuff), they compound the fcuk up by closing the road for 3 months at lease for a fcuking CYCLE LANE!!!

You really couldn't make such stupidity up...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Anyone have any idea when this whole area will be finished? Supermacs opened and all? Just wondering

The road closure is meant to be until April 15th

I presume its not until then or is that just for the cycle lane?

Anyone have any idea when this whole area will be finished? Supermacs opened and all? Just wondering

The road closure is meant to be until April 15th

I presume its not until then or is that just for the cycle lane?

Initially it was supposed to be February, but i reckon it will tie in with the road closure.

The cycle lane will be a right disaster on that road.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new junction though when all is completed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Badly need some bins in the area,lots of rubbish there yesterday.

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Bad need some bins in the area,lots of rubbish there yesterday.

That's been the case for years. I was on to the council about it. No bins - dog or otherwise in the area. The council even took away the bins in the Glen and the top of the Glen (the Ballyhooley Rd end).:mad::mad::mad:. That reminds me - Kavanagh says he is on the waste bin committee. Must give him a poke to wake him up!

The place is filthy and there's no need for it.

Yet you're tripping over rubbish and dog bins in Blackrock Marina! Wonder why that would be? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭what the hell!

That's been the case for years. I was on to the council about it. No bins - dog or otherwise in the area. The council even took away the bins in the Glen and the top of the Glen (the Ballyhooley Rd end).:mad::mad::mad:. That reminds me - Kavanagh says he is on the waste bin committee. Must give him a poke to wake him up!

The place is filthy and there's no need for it.

Yet you're tripping over rubbish and dog bins in Blackrock Marina! Wonder why that would be? :cool:

Brought it up at a community meeting recently and the council won’t put in bins because they said they’ll be destroyed, set on fire and filled with all types of crap. He said you wouldn’t believe some of the things they find in the bins.

Brought it up at a community meeting recently and the council won’t put in bins because they said they’ll be destroyed, set on fire and filled with all types of crap. He said you wouldn’t believe some of the things they find in the bins.

I do agree to a point. But it's a bit like saying - oh it's not worth putting in a window, in case it's broken!

You probably know as well as I do, the council didn't exactly do their part either - bins would be full to overflowing, with assorted rubbish strewn round before they would even think of emptying them.

How on earth is the place to be kept from becoming a bio hazard if the council won't even put in a few bins and keep them emptied?

Anything that can be set on fire down the Glen will be unfortunately. Gorse fires are a regular nuisance, all the benches have been set on fire and the ponds are full of rubbish. It's a wonderful amenity to have in this part of the City and it's a pity more don't have respect for it. Anyway, why can't people just bring their rubbish home with them if there's no bins?

To a certain point, I would agree. But sometimes it isn't practical to do that. Hence the bins. Or the fact some people are just too pig ignorant and lazy to do that. They would rather just chuck it on the ground...

To a certain point, I would agree. But sometimes it isn't practical to do that. Hence the bins. Or the fact some people are just too pig ignorant and lazy to do that. They would rather just chuck it on the ground...

They'd do that regardless of whether or not there was bins there unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Any idea when all 3 businesses will be open ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Zoomed by here in the car the other day and it looked like it could be finished soon. Anyone have any idea when?

• Advertisement

Allegedly the 15th April... Not before bloody time too. It's been a nightmare whilst the works are going on. Most of my neighbours are sick of it too! God knows when the garage will re-open. I can't see it much before May.

Somehow I doubt that date will be met. But I live in hope!

Advertisement