Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

low key events

Options
  • 13-08-2017 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭

Did the Donegal bay sportive in April and it was fantastic.
    Organization could not have been better.
    But my climbing legs could have.
    Super tough route which has me clambering back for more next April.
    Foot stops great and full dinner at the end as much as you can eat.
    All hosted by a local cc for 20 quid.
    Puts done events over twice the price to shame.
    Awesome event.
    Just done mizen to malin for 2nd year in a row- 3 days this time.

Next up looking st slieve blooms extremely challenge in october hosted by wolftrap cc.

Any other gems out there like these?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Think this is a great idea for a thread. Hopefully it will get some traction and make it's way into the "Popular threads" list.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭EAD

My favourite sportive event of the year is the Tour of the Falling Leaves out of Baltinglass each September.
    It's only 70ish km (underestimate this at your peril), one route with one stop, usually less than €20 to enter, no goodie bag/jersey/medal and no big meal after but it's super. It's simply no-fuss cycling with a wonderful vibe that ends with a lovely cup of tea and bun in the old folks home that all the fundraising goes to.

Actually, no let me rethink that, it's awful, stay away...if you all turn up it might not be the gem it currently is!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

I loved the 'Humpy 100' in Carlow - did it twice and found it a really tough challenge, fantastic route. Foodstop was great too.
    Had wondered why there weren't loads more attending it, as it was a great day out and very well run: great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Ox Mountain 4 Passes sportive in Sligo. 65 and 130 km and fairly lumpy routes. Empty bohreens, loads of food, stunning scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

A few clubs around Donegal and Derry run an Inishowen 100 each summer. I think there are 3 of them. 100miles (160km) and some tough climbs (kinnego bay and Mamore gap) Stunning scenery if the weather is good but a tough MF if it's any way wet and/or windy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Trasna na nGleannta sportive out of kilnamartyra 25th of September.
    Small little event with a gorgeous route and big slabs of Coolea cheese and proper ham between doorsteps of buttered home made bread.

http://valleywheelerscc.com/home/index.php/vwcc-sportifs/trasna-na-ngleannta/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

fat bloke wrote: »
    Trasna na nGleannta sportive out of kilnamartyra 25th of September.
    Small little event with a gorgeous route and big slabs of Coolea cheese and proper ham between doorsteps of buttered home made bread.

http://valleywheelerscc.com/home/index.php/vwcc-sportifs/trasna-na-ngleannta/

2016. Can't see any mention of 2017, is it an annual event?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭tobdom

This one might be a little OT, but it is a low key 'event' but not a long distance Sportive like a lot of the other examples....

http://www.curranechallenge.com/

Great small local event, duathalon-type with a 30km cycle of the peninsula (mostly quite flat but with possibly significant winds to contend with), followed by an out & back (up & down) hill run. Really well run, friendly event, with great hospitality afterwards - soup & sandwiches etc.

Quite a few people use this as a training event for the Westport Sea2Summit

Advertisement