Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mCable Gaming Edition - PSVR PS4 Slim - Comparison shots

Options
  • 13-08-2017 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I decided to purchase an mCable Gaming Edition to see if it would improve the experience on my PSVR (using a PS4 Slim). I was taking a gamble as there were no still-shots showing precisely how it compares to the standard setup, bar a few videos on YouTube that don't really demonstrate the difference. So, armed with my GoPro I gave it a shot to help others decide...

Pics are up at: http://imgur.com/a/A8URg

In general I've found (on PS4 Slim at least)...

- Jagged edges appear to be smoothed out in polygonal games (e.g. Superhot VR)

- Slightly reduces screen door effect but does not get rid of it.

- In texture-rich games that may already have had anti-aliasing done, it does seem to blur the textures. An example I used was Pinball FX 2 VR.

Things the cable does NOT do...

- Does not remove the "shimmering" effect you sometimes get (I believe this is a PS4 Slim problem that doesn't exist as much on PS4 Pro)

- Does not increase resolution. You get the same resolution but harsh edges are smoothed out.

Overall...

Works well for polygonal games like Superhot / Polybius, etc. Colours on Polybius looked great so perhaps it does enhance bright colours.
    For 2D difference is negligible, and on textures that have anti-aliasing already done it does seem to slightly blur them by reapplying anti-aliasing, but again this might not be a problem on PS4 Pro (all the positive reviews on the Marseille site seem to mention PS4 Pro).

All in all, it enhances the experience alright but perhaps wait for the price to drop a little unless you need your Superhot upgrade right now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Could the admins move this to the VR forum please? Thanks

Advertisement