Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer Children's allowance/Domiciliary Payments

Options
  • 13-08-2017 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭

hi all,
    I need to transfer the payments of children's allowance and Domiciliary from my partner to myself. There is a history as to why it must be now paid to me instead of her.
    What do I need to do this..obviously I need her approval etc which won't be a problem but if anyone knows what forms etc I need I'd appreciate the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Unless you have the resources to take the Department of Social Welfare to the High Court, they will not communicate with the father under any circumstances. It's blatant gender discrimination but they aren't for budging. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

If you and the mother are on speaking terms, ask her to write to the relevant departments.

If this is not possible you will need to fill the the relevant application forms. You can download them from Welfare.ie. Even if the mother is cooperative you will need to fill in the forms as thy will need your bank/post office details and confirmation that you fufill the habitual residence requirement. It may help to get a letter from school, GP or social worker or copy of court order to confirm that you are the primary carer. It may take a few months and a visit from a social welfare inspector.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

my children's allowance is paid into my sons bank account. I'm the only one who can sign on it (I'm his Mam, but I'm sure his dad could have the same privilege!). I set it the direct debit up, and the dept only communicate with me, but could you do this for the children's allowance?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

jlm29 wrote: »
    my children's allowance is paid into my sons bank account. I'm the only one who can sign on it (I'm his Mam, but I'm sure his dad could have the same privilege!). I set it the direct debit up, and the dept only communicate with me, but could you do this for the children's allowance?

I know I can get the bank account changed to mine but its easy for her to change it again..ideally I'd like both in my name and going to my account rather than her accessing it.
    Might just ring them up and explain the situation to them.
    thanks everyone for the advice so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Unless you have the resources to take the Department of Social Welfare to the High Court, they will not communicate with the father under any circumstances. It's blatant gender discrimination but they aren't for budging. :rolleyes:

Huh?

I just submitted forms. Once they were satisfied I meet the applicable criteria, i got it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Huh?

I just submitted forms. Once they were satisfied I meet the applicable criteria, i got it.

were you the primary carer?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Blazer wrote: »
    were you the primary carer?

Yeap.

I'm primary carer, living with my wife and three kids. When I went to apply for allowance for kid no. 3 (allowance for 1 & 2 goes to my wife) I called them because there was something on the form I needed help with and they wouldn't even speak to me! :(

I'm primary carer, living with my wife and three kids. When I went to apply for allowance for kid no. 3 (allowance for 1 & 2 goes to my wife) I called them because there was something on the form I needed help with and they wouldn't even speak to me! :(

That sounds like more of a data protection issue as they'd be unable to talk with you about anything to do with her. You'd be better off having submitted to receive it for all 3 if that's what you were looking for.

That sounds like more of a data protection issue as they'd be unable to talk with you about anything to do with her. You'd be better off having submitted to receive it for all 3 if that's what you were looking for.

You try telling that to my wife!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Why would your wife claim for two kids and you for one kid? Makes no sense really. Either one of you should just claim for the three of them together.

January wrote: »
    Why would your wife claim for two kids and you for one kid? Makes no sense really. Either one of you should just claim for the three of them together.

You're right, and maybe I should have her salary paid directly into my account at the same time. She may have worked for it hey, us both being paid twice makes no sense! :mad:

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Who registered the baby? When you register the baby the child benefit is automatically set up. It is also automatically paid to the mother. So if the mother wanted the payment to go elsewhere, she's the one that should have been contacting them. That might be why they wouldn't deal with you. Especially if the mother was still in receipt of payment for 2 children.

You're right, and maybe I should have her salary paid directly into my account at the same time. She may have worked for it hey, us both being paid twice makes no sense! :mad:

Not getting it...

Not getting it...

Would you be happy to lose a few hundred euro each month and just give it to your partner? No, neither was my wife. So when no. 3 came along I thought it was the perfect opportunity to benefit from it without affecting my wife. After all I do the vast majority of the slog.

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Would you be happy to lose a few hundred euro each month and just give it to your partner?

In my relationship the money is pooled, regardless of who earns it.

The fact that you say you thought you could "benefit" from No3 is probably why the dept wouldn't talk to you. The child benefit was already set up to be paid to your wife's account. It sounds like you contacted the dept without the agreement of your wife. That's why they wouldn't talk to you. And in order to pay it to you, without the consent of the mother you would have had to go to court and have it ordered.

I know a few single dads who are in receipt of Child benefit, because the mother is absent.

Would you be happy to lose a few hundred euro each month and just give it to your partner? No, neither was my wife. So when no. 3 came along I thought it was the perfect opportunity to benefit from it without affecting my wife. After all I do the vast majority of the slog.

Why do you and your wife have separate finances? Money is pooled here too. It's not mine or his money it's ours.

What's mine is ours, what's hers is her own! :(

Gloomtastic, it sounds like you've got some stuff that needs to be sorted out between yourself and your wife. Your issue has nothing to do with how the state provides children's allowance.

I agree totally. This is nothing to do with how CB is allocated and everything to do with your own private relationship. I'm sorry you're being treated like that though.

• Advertisement

I agree totally. This is nothing to do with how CB is allocated and everything to do with your own private relationship. I'm sorry you're being treated like that though.

Gloomtastic, it sounds like you've got some stuff that needs to be sorted out between yourself and your wife. Your issue has nothing to do with how the state provides children's allowance.

Nonsense!!!!! :mad:

The state of my marriage has nothing to do with this. As the official, government agency-recognised, primary carer to child no. 3, another government agency will not communicate with me due to some antiquated law from the 50's or 60's that was passed to allow some god-forsaken mother of 10 to have some money to feed her brood without being dependent on her drunken husband. Times have changed but Ireland is still stuck in the past!!

And just one other thing, my wife is not child no. 3's birth mother!!!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The state of my marriage has nothing to do with this. As the official, government agency-recognised, primary carer to child no. 3, another government agency will not communicate with me due to some antiquated law from the 50's or 60's that was passed to allow some god-forsaken mother of 10 to have some money to feed her brood without being dependent on her drunken husband. Times have changed but Ireland is still stuck in the past!!

And just one other thing, my wife is not child no. 3's birth mother!!!! :rolleyes:

Yeah, your marriage sounds just peachy!

Surely your child's mother is getting the benefit then, rather than an unrelated woman (your wife)?

Modern families. I need a diagram.

Huh? You said the allowence for child 1 and 2 is already paid to your wife. Now you are saying she is not the mother of the child in question? Forgive me for the crassness but it's kinda hard to comment on the situation when the information is rather mixed up and passed along in such a broken manner. You've talked about what seems to be 2 different women as if they are the one person.

Advertisement