Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wildcard thread 2017/18

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mcgooch

km79 wrote: »
    We have a 3.9 ml defender people
    Honey monster shall be his name

Tuanzebe at Man Utd has been priced at 3.9 since last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

mcgooch wrote: »
    Tuanzebe at Man Utd has been priced at 3.9 since last week.

True, but nobody would realistically want to waste a potential or actual Man Utd spot that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

PARlance wrote: »
    Done it.
    Instant regret.

I was totally set on wildcarding this week. But as time has gone on I've started to think that if I pushed the button I'd immediately regret it like you.

I've no Kane but I think I might survive without him for one more week.

Current team is:

Foster Elliot
    Otamendi Jones Bavies Mbemba SWard
    Mkhitaryan Alli Ramsey Xhaka Carroll
    Lukaku Firmino Jesus

Potential WC team:
    Foster Elliot
    Maguire Suttner Bavies Hünemeier SWard
    Mkhitaryan Mahrez Eriksen Choupo-Moting Carroll
    Kane Vardy Jesus

That team leaves me with ~0.3 in the bank so there's still a little bit of room to play around with one or two positions there. Not sold on Choupo. Could swap Ward for Mee if Mee drops to 4.4. Alli could stay instead of Eriksen so a few more 0.1s to be had there for other upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Currently looking like this
    De Gea Elliott
    Mee Maguire Lascelles Naughton Kiko Feminia
    Mkhitaryan Eriksen Chupo Moting Salah Carroll
    Kane Lukaku Wood

Any feedback, upgrades, amendments welcome :)

Currently looking like this
    De Gea Elliott
    Mee Maguire Lascelles Naughton Kiko Feminia
    Mkhitaryan Eriksen Chupo Moting Salah Carroll
    Kane Lukaku Wood

Any feedback, upgrades, amendments welcome :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭maximo31

Thoughts please:
    Elliot / Gomes
    Davies / Lascelles / Jones / Mee / Gomez
    Eriksen / Mikhitaryan / Fabregas / Ramsey / Dacoure
    Morata / Kane / Rashford.

Few big hitters in there. Keepers / defense light enough on quality.
    No City or Pool (attackers).....
    Any improvements suggested?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

maximo31 wrote: »
    Thoughts please:
    Elliot / Gomes
    Davies / Lascelles / Jones / Mee / Gomez
    Eriksen / Mikhitaryan / Fabregas / Ramsey / Dacoure
    Morata / Kane / Rashford.

Few big hitters in there. Keepers / defense light enough on quality.
    No City or Pool (attackers).....
    Any improvements suggested?

I'd change lascelles to a 4.5 off another team as you already have Elliot. Fabregas to a cheaper option to free up money for rashford to firmino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Latest effort
    Foster Elliot
    Jones Bavies naughton wimmer huunemair
    Miki Alli Antonio Brady tcarrol
    Firmino lukaku Kane

.3 ITB so I could bump huunemair up to rosenior
    And Alli to eriksen if I wanted to but don't think I do
    Not sure on wimmer - he will be part of a rotation with naughton and Brady.
    Would have preferred Cameron but he may be injured .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,148 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Latest effort
    Foster Elliot
    Firmino lukaku Kane

I would strongly advise against non-playing players on a wildcard. This season's Christmas schedule is the most hectic I've ever seen so a full squad of players will be vital I feel. Lots of rotation is bound to happen.

Kane and Wood or Morata and Firmino?? Prob my last big decision now, leaning towards the latter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Elliot (Krul)
    Alonso, Jones, Bavies, Maguire, (Mbemba)
    Eriksen, Mkhi, Mahrez (Cork, Chalobah)
    Vardy, Kane, Firmino
    4-3-3

Latest draft, strong on defence and happy with the front 6. Need to step away now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Kane and Wood or Morata and Firmino?? Prob my last big decision now, leaning towards the latter

Gotta be Kane and Wood man. . .

Latest effort
    Foster Elliot
    Firmino lukaku Kane

I would strongly advise against non-playing players on a wildcard. This season's Christmas schedule is the most hectic I've ever seen so a full squad of players will be vital I feel. Lots of rotation is bound to happen.
    Yeah I've noticed that too
    But I have to have a 4ml defender
    Midfield is weak enough without a further downgrade

Wimmer could sting me though no sure on him yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

bantee wrote: »
    What about Gamez from Newcastle at 4.0, he played the last game but filling in for who?
    Anyone in the know about this guy? Seems a decent option at 4.0
    Edit: seems he's a full back so assuming that Yedlin will take his place in the next game or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Elliot Pope
    Bavies Cedric Simpson Naughton Rosenior
    Erikson D.Silva Siggy Chalobah Carroll
    Kane Firmino Lukaku

Thoughts?
    Wee bit light at the back and Rosenior maybe a non-player.
    Big front 6. Siggy could be Mhky/Pogba.
    Pope will go to another 4.5 e.g Foster when Heaton returns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

City are scoring for fun again tonight. I'm starting to wonder if Silva is enough cover for City?
    Very hard to fit Aguero or Jesus in though.

Edit: seems he's a full back so assuming that Yedlin will take his place in the next game or 2

Hes a right sided defender who will struggle to oust Yedlin. He didn't get much gametime last season in the Championship but he impressed everyone in the Newcastle camp with his performance last weekend.

Mbemba is primarily a centreback but can play on the wing either as evidenced by subbing in for Dummet after the injury. Our last season in the Premiership he looked like our best defender hands down. But last season in the Championship he didn't get much playing time at all. Even to the extent that Raffa fielded a hernia suffering Lascelles (which none of us knew about till the end of the season) for over half the season in preference to playing Mbemba.

Colking wrote: »

Hes a right sided defender who will struggle to oust Yedlin. He didn't get much gametime last season in the Championship but he impressed everyone in the Newcastle camp with his performance last weekend.

Mbemba is primarily a centreback but can play on the wing either as evidenced by subbing in for Dummet after the injury. Our last season in the Premiership he looked like our best defender hands down. But last season in the Championship he didn't get much playing time at all. Even to the extent that Raffa fielded a hernia suffering Lascelles (which none of us knew about till the end of the season) for over half the season in preference to playing Mbemba.

Great info, thanks for the detailed response!

Latest effort
    Foster Elliot
    Firmino lukaku Kane

Maybe I should go David Silva instead of miki!.........I fear people rotation though and a lot have Miki in my league (I had pogba)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

Maybe I should go David Silva instead of miki!.........I fear people rotation though and a lot have Miki in my league (I had pogba)

Great player and all that Silva is, I don't think he'll be the heavy scorer in this city team. Downgrade a midfielder and bring in Mendy would be my city option

• Advertisement

If nothing else (and I've had him from the start) get Mkhi for the generated cash and transfer Pogba back in when hes fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Elliot Pope
    Kane Firmino Lukaku

Thoughts?

Any feedback guys?

1st draft, 0.7 in the bank:
    DDG Elliot
    Dawson Femenia Simpson Gamez Naughton
    Salah Alli Choupo-m RLC Ricarlison
    Lukaku Kane Vardy

Any advice appreciated!
    Changed to this now and got Stones in as he's guaranteed game time with Kompany out:
    DDG Elliot
    Stones Femenia Simpson Lascelles Hunemeir
    Salah Alli Choupo-m RLC Ricarlison
    Lukaku Kane Vardy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Colking, do you think Yedlin will start this weekend? If he doesn't I'll have Mee or Naughton coming in :o

Colking, do you think Yedlin will start this weekend? If he doesn't I'll have Mee or Naughton coming in :o

Thats a very tough one to call. Both Lejeune and Yedlin were on the bench against Swansea so technically they're both fit. Yedlin has been missing for a while though and might be eased back in.

The team held their shape and discipline very well against Swansea so you would imagine that they will remain unchanged. But....

This is Raffa we're talking about. On a Newcastle Blog that I am on a good bit we used to play the Raffa Lotto/Bingo last year to guess the team line ups for the Championship season and it was a rarity for anyone to correctly guess the full starting 11 (granted that there are more teams and hence greater rotation in the championship)

So this still hasn't answered your question. Had we lost against Swansea I'd have said they would be more inclined to rush Yedlin back as it is I wouldn't be surprised to not see him start again this weekend.

Elliot Pope
    Kane Firmino Lukaku

Thoughts?

I'd be reluctant to Wildcard in a team with a view that I'd be forced to burn a future transfer in a GK. You will have far more pressing needs and I think it's an unnecessary waste of a transfer (plus if any prices change you might get locked out)

I like your defense. Some might argue the pros and cons of other 4.0 defenders instead of Rosenior but it's a coin toss. You could look at Mbemba (who should be fit for Stoke) Gamez might have staked his claim for the spot till Dummet returns though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Thats a very tough one to call. Both Lejeune and Yedlin were on the bench against Swansea so technically they're both fit. Yedlin has been missing for a while though and might be eased back in.

The team held their shape and discipline very well against Swansea so you would imagine that they will remain unchanged. But....

This is Raffa we're talking about. On a Newcastle Blog that I am on a good bit we used to play the Raffa Lotto/Bingo last year to guess the team line ups for the Championship season and it was a rarity for anyone to correctly guess the full starting 11 (granted that there are more teams and hence greater rotation in the championship)

So this still hasn't answered your question. Had we lost against Swansea I'd have said they would be more inclined to rush Yedlin back as it is I wouldn't be surprised to not see him start again this weekend.

Great insight, thanks for that. Think I'll start him anyway, he might get more points as a sub than the other two do in 90 minutes!

Right

This is how it's currently shaping up. Any thoughts/advice very welcome.

WDG5HLj.jpg

I'll run through my thinking.

GK - I've had from the start and am happy with it. I thought Foster would be set and forget at the beginning but Elliot is actually now causing a selection headache.

Defence - I more look at my formation going forward as a 3-4-3 with Alonso being my set and forget Def/Mid. I've had Jones from the start and will keep him till he breaks/gets dropped.

Bavies - slightly annoyed I let him rise in price but wasn't sure if I was definitely going to WC.

Cedric - Southampton have beautiful fixtures and to be honest it's a toss up for me between a WBA player, Leicesters Maguire or Cedric

Mbemba - Dummet is most likely out till November and Mbemba has a chance of playing time.

Midfield - I've always played 3 4 3 typically and it pains me to see 2 x 4.5 mids in there. Are they the pick of the 4.5 mids ?

Salah, Mkhi, Eriksen need no explanation.

Forwards- Kane no brainer.

Firmino - Will Klopp play Sturridge and push Firmino wide ? Will Coutinho come back and disrupt things for him ? I don't know but I'm happy enough to wait and see.

Vardy - I either do Alonso and Vardy or I do a 5.0 defender and Jesus.

I have no Arsenal or Man City players and that makes me nervous. The problem with City is the schedule of CL/Prem and Peps love of rotation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Right

This is how it's currently shaping up

I hope that works for you because it's extremely like my WC at present.

Elliott (Krul)
    Alonso, Bavies, Jones, Maguire, (Mbemba)
    Eriksen, Mhki, Mahrez (Obiang, Chabolah)
    Kane, Firmino, Vardy
    0.3itb

Was also tempted by SOU defender but Maguire has good fixtures too. Really hoping my LEI triple up pays dividends.

Like yourself, Jesus or a premium mid (hi Alexi) is only 2 transfers away with Alonso back there.

• Advertisement

The 4th Defender spot is one thats a bit of a coin toss. I really like the look of Maguire and Leicester offer plenty in attack. Southampton have looked so toothless in attack that it is translating into savage pressure on their defence.

Pulis should have WBA sorted after last weekends debacle but do you want to double up on them with Foster?

Advertisement