Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wildcard thread 2017/18

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Colking wrote: »
    The 4th Defender spot is one thats a bit of a coin toss. I really like the look of Maguire and Leicester offer plenty in attack. Southampton have looked so toothless in attack that it is translating into savage pressure on their defence.

Pulis should have WBA sorted after last weekends debacle but do you want to double up on them with Foster?

I would be happy with just Foster tbh.

However, I've no WBA now. I had Foster but have had to take a gamble on just Elliot, Krul sub.
    You were obviously on Mkhi, Firmino, Eriksen before their rises... I wasn't and had to shave 0.5m.

Right

This is how it's currently shaping up. Any thoughts/advice very welcome.

WDG5HLj.jpg

I'll run through my thinking.

GK - I've had from the start and am happy with it. I thought Foster would be set and forget at the beginning but Elliot is actually now causing a selection headache.

Defence - I more look at my formation going forward as a 3-4-3 with Alonso being my set and forget Def/Mid. I've had Jones from the start and will keep him till he breaks/gets dropped.

Bavies - slightly annoyed I let him rise in price but wasn't sure if I was definitely going to WC.

Cedric - Southampton have beautiful fixtures and to be honest it's a toss up for me between a WBA player, Leicesters Maguire or Cedric

Mbemba - Dummet is most likely out till November and Mbemba has a chance of playing time.

Midfield - I've always played 3 4 3 typically and it pains me to see 2 x 4.5 mids in there. Are they the pick of the 4.5 mids ?

Salah, Mkhi, Eriksen need no explanation.

Forwards- Kane no brainer.

Firmino - Will Klopp play Sturridge and push Firmino wide ? Will Coutinho come back and disrupt things for him ? I don't know but I'm happy enough to wait and see.

Vardy - I either do Alonso and Vardy or I do a 5.0 defender and Jesus.

I have no Arsenal or Man City players and that makes me nervous. The problem with City is the schedule of CL/Prem and Peps love of rotation.

My first reaction was to laugh because it looked so good I presumed it was over budget and you were fúcking about.

Team looks great to me. I prefer RLC and Carroll as the 2 x 4.5m midfielders but Chalobah looks likely to get 90 minutes every week and he is only bench fodder. Also from what I've seen I'd expect him to get a couple of goals this season.

I'm not sure why you have 4 premium defenders. Surely you only need 3 and 1 x 4.5m starting defender. In fact you could use the extra 0.5m to upgrade Mbemba so you have 2 x 4.5m starting defenders on your bench if that's how much you are choosing to spend in defence.

As has been said before - busy December will see rotation so best to have 13 starting outfield players if possible.

My thoughts on your Firmino dilemma - I thought initially that he could move out to cover Mane and Sturridge might start centrally. When Coutinho came on last night he played in the middle 3 so that means he's unlikely to replace Mane for the next 2 games.

So it'll either be Ox starting with Firmino central or Sturridge starting with Firmino wide. Either way it is only 2 games and Firmino can score in those 2 games even if he does start wide and I think he will almost certainly retain spot kicks. He has his miss for the season out of the way now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Right

WDG5HLj.jpg

GK - I've had from the start and am happy with it. I thought Foster would be set and forget at the beginning but Elliot is actually now causing a selection headache.

Defence - I more look at my formation going forward as a 3-4-3 with Alonso being my set and forget Def/Mid. I've had Jones from the start and will keep him till he breaks/gets dropped.

Bavies - slightly annoyed I let him rise in price but wasn't sure if I was definitely going to WC.

Cedric - Southampton have beautiful fixtures and to be honest it's a toss up for me between a WBA player, Leicesters Maguire or Cedric

Mbemba - Dummet is most likely out till November and Mbemba has a chance of playing time.

Midfield - I've always played 3 4 3 typically and it pains me to see 2 x 4.5 mids in there. Are they the pick of the 4.5 mids ?

Firmino - Will Klopp play Sturridge and push Firmino wide ? Will Coutinho come back and disrupt things for him ? I don't know but I'm happy enough to wait and see.

I have no Arsenal or Man City players and that makes me nervous. The problem with City is the schedule of CL/Prem and Peps love of rotation.

Way too much money in your defence

The December rotation thing has been mentioned a few times. There's every chance a WC team won't look anything like it does now in late October, let alone December tbh.

PARlance wrote: »
    The December rotation thing has been mentioned a few times. There's every chance a WC team won't look anything like it does now in late October, let alone December tbh.

If he's spending that amount on defence then I think they should all be starters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

My first reaction was to laugh because it looked so good I presumed it was over budget and you were fúcking about.

Team looks great to me. I prefer RLC and Carroll as the 2 x 4.5m midfielders but Chalobah looks likely to get 90 minutes every week and he is only bench fodder. Also from what I've seen I'd expect him to get a couple of goals this season.

I'm not sure why you have 4 premium defenders. Surely you only need 3 and 1 x 4.5m starting defender. In fact you could use the extra 0.5m to upgrade Mbemba so you have 2 x 4.5m starting defenders on your bench if that's how much you are choosing to spend in defence.

As has been said before - busy December will see rotation so best to have 13 starting outfield players if possible.

My thoughts on your Firmino dilemma - I thought initially that he could move out to cover Mane and Sturridge might start centrally. When Coutinho came on last night he played in the middle 3 so that means he's unlikely to replace Mane for the next 2 games.

So it'll either be Ox starting with Firmino central or Sturridge starting with Firmino wide. Either way it is only 2 games and Firmino can score in those 2 games even if he does start wide and I think he will almost certainly retain spot kicks. He has his miss for the season out of the way now.

Thanks, I still have 0.1 in the bank with that lot !

RLC is definitely on my radar but as I replied to another post I don't think he's a Hodgson type player necessarily and he might lose minutes to a more defensive type midfielder. The big winner here should be Benteke.

Having 5 playing defenders is definitely wise with the Christmas fixture pile up.
    The reason for the 4 premium defenders is because I'm thinking of Alonso as a set and forget midfielder who gets clean sheet points ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

You'll regret not having any City cover in my opinion.

You don't need both Firmino and Salah or Eriksen and Kane for example. One from each team should help you get in a City player, if you so wish.

If he's spending that amount on defence then I think they should all be starters.

But he has 4 fairly premium starters, the 5th def won't really be called upon seeing that he has 2 playing 4.5 mids on the bench.

And Mbemba might be a playing 4.0m. I've no real issue with it and have done the same.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Way too much money in your defence

Have you read the reasoning and the rationale?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Porthallian

I'd be reluctant to Wildcard in a team with a view that I'd be forced to burn a future transfer in a GK. You will have far more pressing needs and I think it's an unnecessary waste of a transfer (plus if any prices change you might get locked out)

I like your defense. Some might argue the pros and cons of other 4.0 defenders instead of Rosenior but it's a coin toss. You could look at Mbemba (who should be fit for Stoke) Gamez might have staked his claim for the spot till Dummet returns though.

Should I go Mbemba then or Gamez?
    I know you cant really give me a guarantee on either but your best guess?

Also which 4.5 GK would rotate best with Elliot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    Latest effort
    Foster Elliot
    Jones Bavies naughton wimmer huunemair
    Miki Alli Antonio Brady tcarrol
    Firmino lukaku Kane

.3 ITB so I could bump huunemair up to rosenior
    And Alli to eriksen if I wanted to but don't think I do
    Not sure on wimmer - he will be part of a rotation with naughton and Brady.
    Would have preferred Cameron but he may be injured .
    I'm getting increasingly tempted to switch lukaku for Jesus to allow an uodgrade of wimmer to Cedric or even stones ........would only have to rotate naughton and brady then .......but I'm scared !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Any thoughts appreciated

Foster - Elliot
    Bailly, Davies - Naughton, Mbemba, Ward/Mee
    Mhki, KDB, Eriksen, - Doucore, Chopo Moting
    Fimio, Kane Rooney

Intend going 3-4-3 with Bailly and Davies plus pick of the fixtures for the other defender.
    Miki, KBD, Erik plus best fixture for other spot

Have a worry about Hazard and Sanchez and not being able to afford them if they go nuts and would like some Chelsea but cant see who is affordable in midfield and a certain starter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭Shedite27

You're basically playing with 10 players +2 points each week.

If you're happy with that, decent team

I'm getting increasingly tempted to switch lukaku for Jesus to allow an uodgrade of wimmer to Cedric or even stones ........would only have to rotate naughton and brady then .......but I'm scared !

Tough one.

If that is your gut team then I'd go with it. Over thinking is the single biggest problem I have with this game.

That said, can Jesus match Lukaku ? Probably.

Would you prefer a United striker or a City one ?

Jesus currently has 2 fewer points than Lukaku and has played 100 fewer minutes.

Will Pogba not playing impact on their attacking threat ?

If United or Lukaku go cold then you could make great strides with him being so highly owned.

Lukaku will be my hardest decision when I'm using WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,317 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the thing is, you'll be scared regardless.

Lukaku, Kane, Aguero, Jesus, Firmino, Morata and even Lacazette are all going to have weeks that are big, and you'll have rivals who have them. there are that many good premium striker options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

SlickRic wrote: »

the thing is, you'll be scared regardless.

Lukaku, Kane, Aguero, Jesus, Firmino, Morata and even Lacazette are all going to have weeks that are big, and you'll have rivals who have them. there are that many good premium striker options.
    Lukaku is so highly owned though
    I had it in my head to wildcard when united fixtures turned and keep Pogba sell lukaku but now I've gone earlier
    And still we wonder will lukaku keep pens now too
    Not sure it would be a good thing if he does !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

Right

WDG5HLj.jpg

Probably a stupid question but how did you get the boxes under each player with the level of difficulty for their upcoming fixtures?

Only things I'd worry about would a lack of Lukaku with his high ownership, I can't go without him as all my rivals have him.

Obvious way to get him would be downgrade Eriksen and upgrade Firmino/Vardy.

As you said:
    Going with no Man City players is brave, but it's hard to know which one to pick.
    And do you have any plans for getting Arsenal cover(/Sanchez) in if it becomes needed?

Shedite27 wrote: »
    You're basically playing with 10 players +2 points each week.

If you're happy with that, decent team

Potentially its 10 + 2 some weeks and that's a drawback but we never have a guarantee that any player will get more than 2 per week although 4.5 mids tend to have a very low ceiling.

4 premium defenders (Alonso treated as a Mid for all intents and purposes)
    3 premium mids
    1 premium striker and 2 2nd tier strikers

This adds up to 11 players though, all with decent to high ceilings. Not 10+2 points unless one of the players is rotated or injured, same risk we all tend to take in the first half of the season regardless of formation.

Should I go Mbemba then or Gamez?
    I know you cant really give me a guarantee on either but your best guess?

Also which 4.5 GK would rotate best with Elliot?

Personally I'd go Mbemba.

In terms of 4.5 Gk take your pick: Foster WBA, Fabianski Swans, Gomes Watford.

I'd be more inclined to pick the best 4.5 keeper rather than the best to rotate with Elliot but if you're looking for a 4.5 for rotation than Begovic from Bournemouth wouldn't be bad.

Yw5ogwC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

thomasm wrote: »
    Any thoughts appreciated

Foster - Elliot
    Bailly, Davies - Naughton, Mbemba, Ward/Mee
    Mhki, KDB, Eriksen, - Doucore, Chopo Moting
    Fimio, Kane Rooney

Intend going 3-4-3 with Bailly and Davies plus pick of the fixtures for the other defender.
    Miki, KBD, Erik plus best fixture for other spot

Have a worry about Hazard and Sanchez and not being able to afford them if they go nuts and would like some Chelsea but cant see who is affordable in midfield and a certain starter

Doucore to 4.5M for balance. The extra money does not have to be spent.
    Rooney would not be to my taste. He'll probably go nuts tonight.

• Advertisement

Personally I'd go Mbemba.

In terms of 4.5 Gk take your pick: Foster WBA, Fabianski Swans, Gomes Watford.

I'd be more inclined to pick the best 4.5 keeper rather than the best to rotate with Elliot but if you're looking for a 4.5 for rotation than Begovic from Bournemouth wouldn't be bad.

Yw5ogwC.jpg

Thanks for that! Was a toss up between Gomes and Begovic really.
    Was worried about Bournemouth's lack of clean sheets.

FF scout predicting Gamez will play this weekend. Would that be right?

shineon23 wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question but how did you get the boxes under each player with the level of difficulty for their upcoming fixtures?

Only things I'd worry about would a lack of Lukaku with his high ownership, I can't go without him as all my rivals have him.

Obvious way to get him would be downgrade Eriksen and upgrade Firmino/Vardy.

As you said:
    Going with no Man City players is brave, but it's hard to know which one to pick.
    And do you have any plans for getting Arsenal cover(/Sanchez) in if it becomes needed?

Better FPL Chrome extension

It's one of the biggest dilemmas alright, the Lukaku fear is great. I'm gambling on him not have a high rate of explosiveness and trying to cycle in players that will keep a relative par with him. I can't see myself captaining Lukaku for the next number of games with Kane in their either and this adds to me thinking why have so much there if you're not going to captain.

To get Sanchez I'd have to Alonso to a 4.4 defender and Salah to Sanchez. Thanks for mentioning it, you definitely need a plan for Sanchez or Hazard if they explode.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 650 ✭✭✭PVA

Right

WDG5HLj.jpg

Good to see a Wildcard team that closely resembles my current line-up! I haven't scored hige since wildcarding in GW3 but feel I have the right players to score big over the coming weeks

Elliott and Mbemba are the obvious £4m options, even with the latter injured. I've gone with De Gea in goal but will likely downgrade when Uniteds fixtures turn. Have you looked at Gomes or Fabianski?

Defence I've gone with Davies, Alonso, Hegazi and Lowe. Would probably prefer yours once I make the De Gea downgrade.

Midfield, the same with Salah, Eriksen, Mkhitaryan and Carroll. Not sure I agree with another £4.5m mid if you will be playing him most weeks. So many better options for £1m more. You would need to downgrade either Alonso or Vardy though.

Brings us to attack, again we both have Kane and Firmino. You have Vardy over Chicharito, which looks clearly the better option. Not sure it makes up for the situation with 2 x £4.5m mods though! I'm looking for ways to upgrade Chicharito to Vardy next week, he's a steal at £8.5m and may prove better value than Firmino...

Thanks for that! Was a toss up between Gomes and Begovic really.
    Was worried about Bournemouth's lack of clean sheets.

FF scout predicting Gamez will play this weekend. Would that be right?

It's quite possible given the way they played against Swansea and it would be a bit tough on Gamez to yank him after such an assured performance, but ...

Lejeune is potentially our best CB and Raffa might want to play him, this would potentially mean Clark moving to Left back to accommodate him, leaving Lascelles to partner Lejeune in the middle. Mbemba will also be potentially knocking on the door and Yedlin.

I don't think anyone can offer you any assurances about who will line out for the Newcastle defense at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,885 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Colking wrote:
    Thats a very tough one to call. Both Lejeune and Yedlin were on the bench against Swansea so technically they're both fit. Yedlin has been missing for a while though and might be eased back in.

Colking wrote:
    So this still hasn't answered your question. Had we lost against Swansea I'd have said they would be more inclined to rush Yedlin back as it is I wouldn't be surprised to not see him start again this weekend.

So what your saying is, Yedlin definitely starts. Cheers.

Quoting for later use.!!?!

So what your saying is, Yedlin definitely starts. Cheers.

Quoting for later use.!!?!

Sure ;)

wGSpmXh.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

is fellaini now an option at €4.9?
    in pogba,s absense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Lukaku will be my hardest decision when I'm using WC.
    Yeah I can see most of having him gone by November. He'll either...
    Revert to Blankaku and start hitting 2pts in captain material games.
    Get a ban/injury and we'll all ditch him.

I'd be reluctant to Wildcard in a team with a view that I'd be forced to burn a future transfer in a GK. You will have far more pressing needs and I think it's an unnecessary waste of a transfer (plus if any prices change you might get locked out)

I like your defense. Some might argue the pros and cons of other 4.0 defenders instead of Rosenior but it's a coin toss. You could look at Mbemba (who should be fit for Stoke) Gamez might have staked his claim for the spot till Dummet returns though.

Looks like Pope will be the main man for a while :

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41268931

Without Heaton though, how confident would you be of Burnley ? They were steeped to keep the cleanie against Palace last week.

• Advertisement

Looks like Pope will be the main man for a while :

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41268931

Without Heaton though, how confident would you be of Burnley ? They were steeped to keep the cleanie against Palace last week.

Yeah I'm actually gonna rotate Elliot and Gomes now I think. They seem to rotate well.

Latest conundrum is whether to go with Lukaku or Lacazete and upgrade a defender.

Advertisement