Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wildcard thread 2017/18

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,427 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Can someone explain to me the benefit of a WC before the International break?

Surely it's better to possible have 1 more bad week, rather than WC and then possible receive 2-3 injuries?

I dont get it either. More importantly is that players will be rising like mad in GW4, you can pick up a few 0.2 rises on players because of all the transfers going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Green&Red wrote: »
    I dont get it either. More importantly is that players will be rising like mad in GW4, you can pick up a few 0.2 rises on players because of all the transfers going on

Myth alert.... :rolleyes:

International breaks are the worst of the early weeks for price rises. Every. Single. Season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

FHFC wrote: »

International breaks are the worst of the early weeks for price rises. Every. Single. Season.

Next Friday gameweek is what I'm aiming for
    Gw9

Or else a normal week
    Int break thing is indeed a myth
    Zero transfer activity for vast majority of it
    And bandwagons are halted a few days in

km79 wrote: »
    Next Friday gameweek is what I'm aiming for
    Gw9

Or else a normal week
    Int break thing is indeed a myth
    Zero transfer activity for vast majority of it
    And bandwagons are halted a few days in

Correct. Plus there are generally more wildcards played so less transfers counting towards price changes than the other weeks. And of course the whole banking 0.2 rises within a gameweek on Wildcard hasn't been a thing since about 2013/14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Is the closing of the transfer window not also a huge factor?

That is the main reason I am waiting to WC after GW 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

To be fair I think that 5 years ago plus, the international window was great for making gains which generated this commonly accepted idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 650 ✭✭✭PVA

Surely it's better to possible have 1 more bad week, rather than WC and then possible receive 2-3 injuries?

No problem, so my situation was/is as follows. Bad start to the season with an overall rank of 1m+ coupled with the desire to get certain players such as Kane in for GW3.

GW2 team
    Forster (Myhill)
    Cedric Mee Hegazi (Lowe) (Long)
    Eriksen Salah KDB Atsu (Carroll)
    Lukaku Jesus Firmino

Double Saints defence was a risk that paid off in GW1, although they conceded 2 goals to 10-man West Ham last week and did not look defensively strong. Alonso has shown form and Trippier is back from injury, they could prove must-haves.Midfield was OK, although all indications point to Mane being the better choice over Salah. Atsu has shown promise, but not to the level of Mooy, and KDB has not justified his £10m pricetag. Up top, Firmino proved his worth with a penalty in GW1, but has tough fixtures coming up. Jesus needed to make way for Kane ASAP, requiring £2m from somewhere.

I felt the desire to change 8 of my starting 11 for GW3 was justification enough for the wildcard rather than an 8pt hit to get to a team that would still have some weak spots. Currently debating the below teams in my WC;

Team A
    De Gea (Elliott)
    Alonso Trippier Hegazi (Lowe Mbemba)
    Eriksen Mane Mkyryan Mooy (RLC)
    Chicharito Firmino Kane

Team B
    Foster (Elliott)
    Jones Trippier Hegazi (Lowe Mbemba)
    Chicharito Lukaku Kane

It's essentially down to a choice of Alonso + Firmino or Foster + Lukaku. The only players I'm concerned about not owning are Sanchez and Hazard, but neither concern me too much yet. Other than the potential impact of the international break, what else are you saving the first wildcard for? If you see 5-6 players you want to move on, the question shouldn't be why use it, rather why not? We now get 2 x Wildcards a season, coupled with the 'Free Hit' one-week WC, so the benefit of holding the WC is weakened imo

Also, wildcards are f*cking fun

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

PVA wrote: »

No problem, so my situation was/is as follows. Bad start to the season with an overall rank of 1m+ coupled with the desire to get certain players such as Kane in for GW3.

GW2 team
    Forster (Myhill)
    Cedric Mee Hegazi (Lowe) (Long)
    Eriksen Salah KDB Atsu (Carroll)
    Lukaku Jesus Firmino

Double Saints defence was a risk that paid off in GW1, although they conceded 2 goals to 10-man West Ham last week and did not look defensively strong. Alonso has shown form and Trippier is back from injury, they could prove must-haves.Midfield was OK, although all indications point to Mane being the better choice over Salah. Atsu has shown promise, but not to the level of Mooy, and KDB has not justified his £10m pricetag. Up top, Firmino proved his worth with a penalty in GW1, but has tough fixtures coming up. Jesus needed to make way for Kane ASAP, requiring £2m from somewhere.

I felt the desire to change 8 of my starting 11 for GW3 was justification enough for the wildcard rather than an 8pt hit to get to a team that would still have some weak spots. Currently debating the below teams in my WC;

Team A
    De Gea (Elliott)
    Alonso Trippier Hegazi (Lowe Mbemba)
    Chicharito Firmino Kane

Team B
    Foster (Elliott)
    Jones Trippier Hegazi (Lowe Mbemba)
    Chicharito Lukaku Kane

It's essentially down to a choice of Alonso + Firmino or Foster + Lukaku. The only players I'm concerned about not owning are Sanchez and Hazard, but neither concern me too much yet. Other than the potential impact of the international break, what else are you saving the first wildcard for? If you see 5-6 players you want to move on, the question shouldn't be why use it, rather why not? We now get 2 x Wildcards a season, coupled with the 'Free Hit' one-week WC, so the benefit of holding the WC is weakened imo

Also, wildcards are f*cking fun

This is quite similar to the team I posted last night
    Team B
    Hennessy (Elliott)
    Jones Alonso Hegazi (Britos Mbemba)
    Ramsey Mane Mkyryan Mooy (RLC)
    Chicharito Lukaku Kane
    Foster - Hennessy
    Trippier - Alonso 
    Eriksen - Ramsey
    Lowe - Britos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Chesty08 wrote: »
    This is quite similar to the team I posted last night
    Team B
    Hennessy (Elliott)
    Jones Alonso Hegazi (Britos Mbemba)
    Ramsey Mane Mkyryan Mooy (RLC)
    Chicharito Lukaku Kane
    Foster - Hennessy
    Trippier - Alonso 
    Eriksen - Ramsey
    Lowe - Britos

If you're ditching Lowe why not go for Lossi instead of Hennessy?

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Foster - Hennessy
    Trippier - Alonso 
    Eriksen - Ramsey
    Lowe - Britos

Eriksen is the only 'must-have' so far this season, any wildcard team should include him IMO

I do have my eye on Hennessy rather than doubling up on Hegazi/Foster. 16 saves in two games! Three good fixtures on the horizon too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 TwoToneRebel

Some people activate their WC's purely to increase their squad value, don't see myself following the trend right now though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Eriksen is the only 'must-have' so far this season, any wildcard team should include him IMO

I do have my eye on Hennessy rather than doubling up on Hegazi/Foster. 16 saves in two games! Three good fixtures on the horizon too.

Hasn't De Boer said that a new goalkeeper is his no 1 priority before the window closes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Just being fussy but you can't call a myth something that used to be true ;). But yeah right now, they are!
    Colking wrote: »
    To be fair I think that 5 years ago plus, the international window was great for making gains which generated this commonly accepted idea.
    Yes. 5 years ago and up to the 2013/14 season IIRC.
    Some people activate their WC's purely to increase their squad value, don't see myself following the trend right now though
    Nowadays this has become pretty stupid since you can't achieve this anymore. You can save your squad value and hope for a moderate increase by getting in the popular big guns but the days of increasing team value WCs are gone. Long gone now.

Team value should not be a deciding factor, although a mistake regularly made is people deciding to Wildcard towards the end of a week, missing out on multiple price rise/drops.

Colking wrote: »

Even the one year I played before price rises rates slowed dramatically the week after the IB had far more rises. Can't comment on before that but my whole point in that in 5 years a surprising amount of people haven't accepted the status quo. IB is crap for price rises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

The break is ideal for when your players go off on an international jaunt and all return with Vietnam flashbacks. Though if your squad come back healthy as ever feels like a waste.

saints sign a decent centre half from. Lazio........who will he displace........is VVD on the move.........

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

I've decided to use the wildcard after this round of games. I've the team sorted with no money left. I'm wondering can a player's price change at any stage during the week. And if I do my wildcard say the day after the round of games, is it permanent or do I have a chance to chop
    and change during that week like before the season started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,427 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

fennor72 wrote: »
    I've decided to use the wildcard after this round of games. I've the team sorted with no money left. I'm wondering can a player's price change at any stage during the week. And if I do my wildcard say the day after the round of games, is it permanent or do I have a chance to chop

If the player rises during the week its like any other week, if you have him you get the rise, if you don't then you have to pay the higher price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,148 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

You can make as many changes as you like during a wildcard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

That's good to know. So if I put in a team after next weekend I can still make changes to it after the international matches if players are injured.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

That's good to know. So if I put in a team after next weekend I can still make changes to it after the international matches if players are injured.

I've activated my WC for other reasons.

Huh? Why and how do you come to this theory that Eriksen is must have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭macraignil

OK. Well below respectable points from start of season and wildcard activated.
    DeGea Foster
    Hegazi Jones Alonso McGuire Zanka
    Ali Mane Phillips Jese Mooy
    Morata Lukaku Okazaki

Some might say two good goalkeepers is overspending on that area but Foster at 4.5 is almost the cheapest available and has got one more point than DeGea so far (on my bench). Got caught last year when Loris got injured and had bench fodder for a second goalkeeper so not likely to change there. Only them and Ali, Mane and Lukaku keeping their place so well worth the wild card I reckon. Okazaki and Zanka mainly in because of their price. Got 300,000 in bank after above selection after loosing 600,000 on Darmian so can't see much improvement possible myself. Any advice on the new selection appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Held off on activating, just don't have the time for tinkering this week. Might be a blessing in disguise!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

Held off on activating, just don't have the time for tinkering this week. Might be a blessing in disguise!

I'm holding until Saturday, but that Walker red card nearly sent me over the edge.

At least I didn't drop 4 points to bring him in before last weekend.

No wait, that's exactly what I did. :eek:

This season could turn into the shambles that was 2015/16 very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭patmac

macraignil wrote: »
    OK. Well below respectable points from start of season and wildcard activated.
    DeGea Foster
    Hegazi Jones Alonso McGuire Zanka
    Ali Mane Phillips Jese Mooy
    Morata Lukaku Okazaki

Some might say two good goalkeepers is overspending on that area but Foster at 4.5 is almost the cheapest available and has got one more point than DeGea so far (on my bench). Got caught last year when Loris got injured and had bench fodder for a second goalkeeper so not likely to change there. Only them and Ali, Mane and Lukaku keeping their place so well worth the wild card I reckon. Okazaki and Zanka mainly in because of their price. Got 300,000 in bank after above selection after loosing 600,000 on Darmian so can't see much improvement possible myself. Any advice on the new selection appreciated.

Are you playing the game using a different currency?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭macraignil

patmac wrote: »
    Are you playing the game using a different currency?

No. Maybe I should have said I lost .6m on Darmian and with selection have .3m in bank??

• Advertisement

macraignil wrote: »
    No. Maybe I should have said I lost .6m on Darmian and with selection have .3m in bank??

How did you lose .6 on darmian? He hasnt dropped 6 times

Advertisement