Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wildcard thread 2017/18

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Was there any reason chilwell didn't play 2 games before yday?
    Was he injured ? Really like him and home fixtures are excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

km79 wrote: »

Big Sam's interview on MOTD has me thinking of getting Pickford in too. Back to boring basics from next week he said

Not sure how much more boring it can go. 1 shot on target in 3 games as it is.

I’d nearly prefer your current team. So long as you get 11 on the pitch every week then you can carry a couple of passengers.

Aguero v Newcastle but Firmino has a decent fixture against the swans. Might not be too much difference in their scores.

It feels a bit panicky to be using WC to get Aguero in for that game.

Your TV will be so much better in another 1-2 months too.

Anyone wildcarding I'd keep an eye on Wilson today he has looked good the last few weeks even though the 2 goals he did end up with were lucky. Best cheap striker in the game IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Draft number 2 (of about 4 million to come):

Pickford (Pereira)
    Alonso Jones Stones (Ogbonna, Long)
    Salah Sterling Richarlison Lingard Arnautovic
    Kane Aguero (Ayew)

Any thoughts or critique is most welcome.

GK: Big Sam coverage here. He has proven time and time again that he will get things sorted defensively and with Everton having some nice fixtures coming up between now and the end of March, he has a great opportunity to do so after recent poor results. Pickford will get enough save points to keep things ticking over even when they concede, and he also attracts bonus points when they keep clean sheets.

DEF: Alonso takes up a massive amount of funds for a defender and I've never really owned him for any significant period of time over the last couple of years, but the vast majority of those who's opinion I really respect and value, as well as many of the top players in the game, have him in their team so I'm going to invest and follow suit. Jones and Stones offer me relatively cheap routes into City and United defenses, and with this trio my defence consists of one representative from each of the top 3 clean sheet earners so far this season. Ogbonna has great fixtures and I'm happy for him to slot in whenever Jones misses a couple of weeks with injury or Stones is eased back in.

MID: Salah and Sterling need no explanation and Arnautovic has the much sought combination of fantastic form and fixtures to boot. I know we've been saying this for about 10 weeks now, but Richarlison's underlying numbers are fantastic and with his upcoming fixtures I'm going to take a chance that he eventually starts transferring them to points. Lingard is very much the punt here, but with 9 starts in the last 10 (and 2 goals off the bench in the other) I think it's safe to say he now has his place. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he becomes the fall guy for a bad result or two, and if Sanchez inexplicably ends up there instead of City he will need to go immediately, but he is worth a shot for that price and frees up funds elsewhere.

FORWARDS: Kane is Kane. Aguero should be nailed on for the next few gameweeks with some very nice fixtures and at his price, it's an easy downgrade to someone like Firmino and re-investing funds back into the midfield when Jesus comes back. Sanchez could be a spanner in the works here too which needs to be reviewed when he moves there. Ayew is showing good form lately and while more of a wide-forward than a proper striker, gives me a competent bench option.

Looking at this with a criticial eye, obviously having two non-starting players is not ideal. Though if Pickford was to get injured or suspended, at £4.8m he's a handy downgrade to many other GK's so I'm not too worried about that.

One possible option I suppose is to "downgrade" Ayew to someone like Crouch and get Kelly, a sure starter, in for Long, but with Alonso, Jones and Stones at the back and Ogbonna as backup, along with the schedule having settled down immensely now and therefore less rotation expected, there's surely enough there to get me by?
    What's you TV Paully?

Last time I can recall checking, it was £104.9m mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,772 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Got the same 3 strikers and 3 of your midfield, one player I would suggest getting if you can fit him in is Mahrez - he seems to have fallen under the radar this year, but his returns are incredible. 7 goals and 10 assists - since GW8, he only has a return of 2 points 3 times, no rotation risk and at 8.6 I think is a bargain.

How do you fit him in? Richarlison out and you need to find about 2m?

So - Downgrade Pickford to someone like Ryan or Adrian - should free up ~0.5m
    Jones to Shaw/Lindelof - saves you another 0.8m - as you say you have the west ham lad to sub in if needed.

Stone was at fault for the last few goals that city have conceded, I think someone like an Everton defender - for the reasons you outlined yourself above - potential to save a million here so you would end up with

Adrian/Ryan (Joel)
    Alonso, Shaw/Lindelof, Martina, Ogbonna, long/Kelly
    Mahrez, Salah, Sterling, Arnie, Lingard
    Aguero, Kane, Ayew

Alternatively if you want to keep the say Stones and Jones you could do either Richarlison /lingard to a 4.3 player - Romeu for instance. and that will give you around 1.8m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Pulled the trigger:

Went with this as first draft:

De Gea
    Maguire,Mustafi Alonso Kenny
    Sterling,Mahrez,Salah,KDB,Sane
    Firmino

Bench:
    Joel Pereira,Crouch,Ayew,Gomez

That'll be the team currently for GW24

Pulled the trigger:

Went with this as first draft:

De Gea
    Maguire,Mustafi Alonso Kenny
    Sterling,Mahrez,Salah,KDB,Sane
    Firmino

Bench:
    Joel Pereira,Crouch,Ayew,Gomez

That'll be the team currently for GW24

Is there any particular reason you won’t sign Kane ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Is there any particular reason you won’t sign Kane ?

Mainly because I just need differentials in my league. I've had him multiple times this season and he's blanked on all of them bar 1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Checking in here.

Having neglected team value this season, and being burnt a couple of times (mainly by Salah not dropping grrrrrrrr), I'm finding it very tough to put a good looking team together. TV currently 101.8, RV 100.5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Here we go:

Elioot - Foster

-Rudiger -- Stones -- Ogbonna - Smalling - Long

Salah -- Arne -- Sterling -- LoftusCheek - Ibe

Aguero - Kane - Firmino

Is the heavy front three a viable option? Alonso the main casualty for this to happen?

Here we go:

Elioot - Foster

-Rudiger -- Stones -- Ogbonna - Smalling - Long

Salah -- Arne -- Sterling -- LoftusCheek - Ibe

Aguero - Kane - Firmino

Is the heavy front three a viable option? Alonso the main casualty for this to happen?

Sure looks good to me !
    However aguero non performance yday may push Pep towards Sanchez again !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

So after playing my wildcard for GW 22.

GW 22: 1.1 mil --> 940,000
    GW 23: 940,000 --> 530,000

Team value has climbed from £101.5 m --> £102.7 m

In 10 years I've finished outside the top 500k just the once, so a bit of work still to do.

Starting to look at going back to 3-4-3 now and taking Busts advice re: Wilson on board.

This also allows me to strengthen my overall squad and have 15 starters across the board (Elliot will get his place back and Simpson, who rotates reasonably well with Ogbonna, will slot back in when fit in a couple of weeks):

Pickford
    Alonso Jones Stones
    Salah Sterling Lingard Arnautovic
    Kane Aguero Wilson

Subs: Elliot, Ogbonna, Simpson, McArthur

I have enough in the bank (and a little more spare change just in case of rises/falls) to do Lingard to Walcott as well. Once Sanchez signs for United I think Lingard may be the one to suffer and I really fancy Walcott as a differential anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Paully D wrote: »
    :

Pickford
    Alonso Jones Stones
    Kane Aguero Wilson

Subs: Elliot, Ogbonna, Simpson, McArthur.

Have alot in common with this team myself although an favouring a 4-4-2 at the minute;

Pickford
    Alonso Jones Stones VVD
    Salah Sterling Lingard Son
    Firminio Aguero

Subs: Elliot, Lascelles, Ayew, Gros

Not happy with my bench and don't see Lingard as a long term option either, would really like to fit Mahrez in. Only have 0.3m in bank

Starting to look at going back to 3-4-3 now and taking Busts advice re: Wilson on board.

This also allows me to strengthen my overall squad and have 15 starters across the board (Elliot will get his place back and Simpson, who rotates reasonably well with Ogbonna, will slot back in when fit in a couple of weeks):

Pickford
    Alonso Jones Stones
    Kane Aguero Wilson

Subs: Elliot, Ogbonna, Simpson, McArthur

I have enough in the bank (and a little more spare change just in case of rises/falls) to do Lingard to Walcott as well. Once Sanchez signs for United I think Lingard may be the one to suffer and I really fancy Walcott as a differential anyway.

Nice team I'd probably go firmino and son over Kane and lingard if I was wildcarding this week and keep the funds to upgrade aguero to Kane in a few gws. Your probably not going to captain Kane in the next 4 gws and then in 4 gws Jesus should be back and Kane's fixtures turn. Son will probably offset a fair bit of the Kane damage.

Nice team I'd probably go firmino and son over Kane and lingard if I was wildcarding this week and keep the funds to upgrade aguero to Kane in a few gws. Your probably not going to captain Kane in the next 4 gws and then in 4 gws Jesus should be back and Kane's fixtures turn. Son will probably offset a fair bit of the Kane damage.

Kane is top of FFS captaincy pool for next weekend with 33% votes
    That’s alwya a good indication of how widely captained he will be
    There is no way is go without him for this weekend especially on a WC

Kane is top of FFS captaincy pool for next weekend with 33% votes
    That’s alwya a good indication of how widely captained he will be
    There is no way is go without him for this weekend especially on a WC

Depends on your rank. I think paullyd needs to make up ground, perhaps take a risk. There are options salah and aguero as good this week. In the next 3 gws after there are options better than kane. Having son might offset what Kane could do. Firmino also has 2 nice fixtures. Its easy for me to say as I'm not doing it just giving him food for thought. I might sell Kane next gw for 3 gws as I won't be captaining him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

This is my wildcard so fair. Might make one or two changes

Elliott Courtois
    Otamendi Rudiger Maguire Ogbonna Mbemba
    Mahrez Sane Sterling Arnie Salah
    Kane Wilson Mcburnie

What do people think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

jamesbere wrote: »
    This is my wildcard so fair. Might make one or two changes

Elliott Courtois
    Otamendi Rudiger Maguire Ogbonna Mbemba
    Mahrez Sane Sterling Arnie Salah
    Kane Wilson Mcburnie

What do people think

Rudiger won't play every game. I'd go Jones over him (or possibly Smalling if the cash saved helps?). Sane could be a bit risky if City change their mind and go back in for Sanchez. Although for the short-term i can see the appeal and then maybe look to move on for Son after Spurs' little tricky run of fixtures ends. Your bench could cost you trouble with McBurnie not a realistic starter long-term and Mbemba not a realistic starter full stop. A decent playing bench is certainly more important in the 2nd half of the season. Quaner would be a better pick than McBurnie if you're intent on cheaping out. Look to upgrade Mbemba to someone who's likely to start most games - there's options there at £4.3m and above. Otherwise it looks a pretty solid team.

p.s. one player missing is Alonso obviously - you'd have to downgrade someone obviously - but one option would be change Sane to Lanzini(edit* or Shaqiri?) thus giving you the cash to get Alonso in defense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

manual_man wrote: »
    Rudiger won't play every game. I'd go Jones over him (or possibly Smalling if the cash saved helps?). Sane could be a bit risky if City change their mind and go back in for Sanchez. Although for the short-term i can see the appeal and then maybe look to move on for Son after Spurs' little tricky run of fixtures ends. Your bench could cost you trouble with McBurnie not a realistic starter long-term and Mbemba not a realistic starter full stop. A decent playing bench is certainly more important in the 2nd half of the season. Quaner would be a better pick than McBurnie if you're intent on cheaping out. Look to upgrade Mbemba to someone who's likely to start most games - there's options there at £4.3m and above. Otherwise it looks a pretty solid team.

p.s. one player missing is Alonso obviously - you'd have to downgrade someone obviously - but one option would be change Sane to Lanzini(edit* or Shaqiri?) thus giving you the cash to get Alonso in defense.

Good advice thanks

Alonso is in my thinking but he's expensive and it means downgrading fairly heavily on a few areas to bring him in.
    This is another option

Elliott Courtois
    Otamendi Ogbonna Maguire Chilwell Tomkins
    Salah sterling arnie Mahrez Milivojevic
    Firmino kane Wilson

Gives me a stronger front three and better sub options. Leicester double defence is risky but I like there fixtures and think theres cs potential in them. I would prefer a united defender but there next couple of fixtures are sticky and defensively I am not confident with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

jamesbere wrote: »
    Good advice thanks

Alonso is in my thinking but he's expensive and it means downgrading fairly heavily on a few areas to bring him in.
    This is another option

Elliott Courtois
    Otamendi Ogbonna Maguire Chilwell Tomkins
    Salah sterling arnie Mahrez Milivojevic
    Firmino kane Wilson

Gives me a stronger front three and better sub options. Leicester double defence is risky but I like there fixtures and think theres cs potential in them. I would prefer a united defender but there next couple of fixtures are sticky and defensively I am not confident with them.

I think you have to treat Alonso as midfielder.
    Would I pay 7.3 for a nailed on Chelsea winger (if he was classed as a midfielder?-YES in a heartbeat.

Moses is a bugdget OOP option for Chelsea but I think Alonso is worth the premium over him

Not sure how much you have to play around with but have looked at some cost saving options

you could go with:
    Ederson(5.5)-Alonso(7.3 ) =12.8
    over
    Courtois(5.5)-Otamendi.(6.5) =12.0

Meaning you only need to make up 0.8 elsewhere

If you're going with a premium Keeper, will you ever play Elliot?
    There are options available at 3.9. Saving you either 0.1 or 0.2.

Is there a reason for doubling up on Maguire and Chilwell? They do have a good run, but
    Re: Maguire: I think 5.4 is a serious wedge for a Leicester Defender.
    If you want double Leicester, Simpson is due back soon at 4.3.
    Simpson will be nailed on, I'm not convinced Chilwell will be nailed on over Fuchs unless Chilwell reverts to playing MF as he did a few weeks back.(probably unlikely)

Doubling up on City MF could spell trouble if Pep starts rotating again.
    Downgrading Sane or Sterling to Pogba for example is another place to make up funds.
    If I had both I'm not sure who I'd drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Decided I am going to go without Aguero. Hurts the rest of my team too much. Pretty excited by whats left

---- Eliott -- Pickford

Stones -- Smalling -- Alonso -- Chilwell -- Wimmer

Mahrez - Salah - Arne - Sterling - Shaquiri

---- Kane -- Firmino -- Niasse

Will decide on possible changes for Chilwell, Wimmer & Niasse before deadline. Thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,062 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Decided I am going to go without Aguero. Hurts the rest of my team too much. Pretty excited by whats left

---- Eliott -- Pickford

Stones -- Smalling -- Alonso -- Chilwell -- Wimmer

Mahrez - Salah - Arne - Sterling - Shaquiri

---- Kane -- Firmino -- Niasse

Will decide on possible changes for Chilwell, Wimmer & Niasse before deadline. Thoughts?

Get niasse out of there. Now behind tosun, dcl and possibly Walcott

Everyone must have more fcukin money than me.

Heres my current draft

Pickford Coleman
    Jones Stones VVD Tomkins Mbemba
    Salah Sterling Arni Lingard McCarther
    Kane Aguero Wilson

Non playing sub GK and one non playing defender. No risk it no biscuit :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭skippy15

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Everyone must have more fcukin money than me.

Heres my current draft

Pickford Coleman
    Jones Stones VVD Tomkins Mbemba
    Salah Sterling Arni Lingard McCarther
    Kane Aguero Wilson

Non playing sub GK and one non playing defender. No risk it no biscuit :P
    Team value comes into it a lot on the second wildcard and something lot ppl work toward.
    In comparison i have
    Coutois adrian
    Jones otamendi alonso ogbonna mbemba
    Salah sterling lingard rlc carroll
    Kane aguero firmino
    Prob leaves a 2/3million difference

Depends on your rank. I think paullyd needs to make up ground, perhaps take a risk. There are options salah and aguero as good this week. In the next 3 gws after there are options better than kane. Having son might offset what Kane could do. Firmino also has 2 nice fixtures. Its easy for me to say as I'm not doing it just giving him food for thought. I might sell Kane next gw for 3 gws as I won't be captaining him.

Believe it or not mate, but Kane is a huge differential in my main private league. The leader is storming ahead now but doesn’t have him, so I’ll hold him.

Believe it or not mate, but Kane is a huge differential in my main private league. The leader is storming ahead now but doesn’t have him, so I’ll hold him.

What did you go with in the end.

What did you go with in the end.

Pickford
    Alonso Jones Stones (Ogbonna, Simpson)
    Salah Sterling Lingard Arnautovic (McArthur)
    Kane Aguero Wilson

Walcott in for Lingard next week.

• Advertisement

Pickford
    Alonso Jones Stones (Ogbonna, Simpson)
    Salah Sterling Lingard Arnautovic (McArthur)
    Kane Aguero Wilson

Walcott in for Lingard next week.

We ended up with 12/15 of the same players on WC, and the exact same front 8. Great minds :P

Main difference is that I was stupid with TV this year so couldn't afford Alonso, had to go with VVD instead.

Advertisement