Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wildcard thread 2017/18

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

Paully D wrote: »
    Pickford
    Alonso Jones Stones (Ogbonna, Simpson)
    Salah Sterling Lingard Arnautovic (McArthur)
    Kane Aguero Wilson

Walcott in for Lingard next week.

Very similar to my current team

Only differences are
    I have
    Francis instead of Simpson
    RLC instead of McArthur
    I have West Ham and CIty clean sheets covered with different players

And Simpson and Stones are in my short term plans, as well as offloading Lingard for someone cheaper and eventually RLC for a <4.5 MF.

I wish you and your team nothing but good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,317 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

First of all, well done to those for whom the second WC has already paid dividends. There is no definitive 'right time' to use it as every team has different issues.

I'm trying my very best to hold.

This transfer window is proving eventful. Walcott, Sanchez and Mkhi are 3 viable players who could now become very, very live options. Never mind Aubamayang! Usually very little business in January makes a difference to FPL plans, but it's different this season.

I'll hold until at least the end of the transfer window.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

SlickRic wrote: »
    First of all, well done to those for whom the second WC has already paid dividends. There is no definitive 'right time' to use it as every team has different issues.

I'm trying my very best to hold.

This transfer window is proving eventful. Walcott, Sanchez and Mkhi are 3 viable players who could now become very, very live options. Never mind Aubamayang! Usually very little business in January makes a difference to FPL plans, but it's different this season.

I'll hold until at least the end of the transfer window.

People think you have to hold the wildcard for the big dgws at all costs as they remember the score the get in a big dgw. Of course your going to get a huge score as its a dgw, you have probably used your BB and you have also used a wildcard. A lot of people forget that you can also get a boost on your score in any gw with the BB and that in most cases the wildcard will give you a boost over a few gws unless you are unlucky. The problem with a dgw wildcard can be felt in the weeks after you wildcard when your team has all its eggs in a few teams baskets. I've always said if your happy with your team its best to keep it. If your not play it if your team needs major surgery. I played mine in gw 22 as my team was in a bad way and so far so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

People think you have to hold the wildcard to the big dgws at all costs as they remember the score the get in a big dgw. Of course your going to get a huge score as its a dgw, you have probably used your BB and you have also used a wildcard. A lot of people forget that you can also get a boost on your score in any gw with the BB and that in most cases the wildcard will give you a boost over a few gws unless you are unlucky. The problem with a dgw wildcard can be felt in the weeks after you wildcard when your team has all its eggs in a few teams baskets. I've always said if your happy with your team its best to keep it. If your not play it if your team needs major surgery. I played mine in gw 22 as my team was in a bad way and so far so good.
    I usually play it around same time as you
    Was a big factor in last 2 league wins
    Have not done so this year hence no aguero and over 100 PTS off top spot. I've done decided with that league gone I'll experiment a little and try the other tactic
    I'm not optimistic!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

km79 wrote: »
    I usually play it around same time as you
    Was a big factor in last 2 league wins
    Have not done so this year hence no aguero and over 100 PTS off top spot. I've done decided with that league gone I'll experiment a little and try the other tactic
    I'm not optimistic!

I wasn't planning on playing it but when I thought about it . I was on an 8 pt hit for the dgw and was still carrying coutinho, salah was injured , 2 of my defenders injured and I'd DCl. Jesus getting injured opened up an opportunity to go aguero for a month and restructure my team .It also meant no hit for the double and I could get 6 dgw players for free and was happy enough to play 4 of them for the rest of January. It also meant I could get sterling and Alonso back into my team who I sold to get hazard just before sterling and Alonso went goal crazy and hazard forgot how to kick a ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

I understand the merits of using the wildcard as soon as its needed but I take the opposite strategy to the 2nd wildcard every year since the January wildcard was changed to the 2nd half of the season option.

I normally use the first wildcard in week 3/4/5 as its needed by then, getting rid of players that aren't certain starters, getting bandwagons, OOP players and any starting cheapies in

Reasons I hold the 2nd WC as long as possible are;
    -I usually spend most of the first half of the season putting out fires with my transfers so by January I'm usually happy with my squad overall.
    The seasons I had to use the January wildcard I left it as late as possible and didn't make too many moves so I felt like I was wasting it.

-Wildcard and bench boost the following week in DGW. Seems a no brainer to me having 15 starters with 2 games, hoping the fixtures fall similarly this year, but I haven't given too much thought to it yet.

-After missing 2 opportunities to use my free hit, I am planning on holding it as long as possible now. either to sort out a potential post wildcard mess or if there is a second significant DGW.
    Again having 11 starters with 2 games seems a no brainer if it can be pulled off. I've kind of fallen into this plan. If theres a very skinny GW and I can field 7/8 players I'll be holding my Free Hit.

-As usual I've blown my Triple captain, if I still had it I'd have likely used it in a later DGW, and my FRee Hit plans would be different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

First experiment. Won't be long now.

Had Kane, Aguero, Sanchez and Hazard in the same team. Alonso too. Too much fun.

Adrian Elliot
    Alonso jones Vvd Mee mariappa
    Shaq salah Arnie Ricky sterling
    Kane firmino DCl

Use it yes or no
    TV is already incredibly poor and 3 players are likely to drop within next few days

Team for next week isn’t THAT bad I suppose but I’m really not sure why I’ve held it this season or what I’m holding it for
    Not using it to get Kun is hurting me

I've done a quick team up with Kane kun firmino front line ...........no money ITB and possible price changes tonight .........I'm very tempted just to do it
    Have to sell Alonso if I want it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,873 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Adrian Elliot
    Alonso jones Vvd Mee mariappa
    Shaq salah Arnie Ricky sterling
    Kane firmino DCl

Use it yes or no
    TV is already incredibly poor and 3 players are likely to drop within next few days

Team for next week isn’t THAT bad I suppose but I’m really not sure why I’ve held it this season or what I’m holding it for
    Not using it to get Kun is hurting me
    Just get rid of DCL and Richarlison

• Advertisement

ShaneU wrote: »
    Just get rid of DCL and Richarlison

Arnie is now injured too though AND I've only .2 ITB so who do I get in for them ?
    I dunno I'm damn tempted by kane kun firmino frontline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,873 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I would punt on Mkhitaryan £7.6m

ShaneU wrote: »
    I would punt on Mkhitaryan £7.6m

Could get him if I sold kane fir aguero and keep WC...........I'm going to sleep on it now anyway
    Wait to see who has the blank 28 .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Is McArthur nailed? Need a cheapie benchwarmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I have no injuries bar Arny who I transferred out for Willian this GW, but I'm feeling like I want to use my WC. I don't have Aguero and have some deadwoodin my team like Rooney, Duffy, Ogbonna, Lingard (who might not start with Sanchez) and have Son who has some hard fixtures coming up. Have 8 transfers that I'd make.

Is the benefits of holding on to the WC really that great? I've read some comments here saying to hold for the DGW. I still have Free Hit, TC, and bench boost. Thinking using it now would be just as good a time but I'd love to hear some more thoughts on this. Not sure what to do at all.

I have no injuries bar Arny who I transferred out for Willian this GW, but I'm feeling like I want to use my WC. I don't have Aguero and have some deadwoodin my team like Rooney, Duffy, Ogbonna, Lingard (who might not start with Sanchez) and have Son who has some hard fixtures coming up. Have 8 transfers that I'd make.

Is the benefits of holding on to the WC really that great? I've read some comments here saying to hold for the DGW. I still have Free Hit, TC, and bench boost. Thinking using it now would be just as good a time but I'd love to hear some more thoughts on this. Not sure what to do at all.

I’m like you but without free hit
    Now that city and arsenal have a game in 28 I don’t see much point limping along

I’m thinkIng I’m gonna do it and go with Kane firmino aguero frontline .......no Alonso then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

I’m thinkIng I’m gonna do it and go with Kane firmino aguero frontline .......no Alonso then

Same here. I've rowed back on my plan to take a massive hit. I can get Kun, EMCM & a 4.3 mid for Crouch, Arnie & Eriksen for a -4. It'll mean I'll still have some non-performers in my team. But at least I'll still have the wildcard.

Edit: Reading back your post it looks like you're using the wildcard, which makes my post look like I'm gloating at being able to hold onto mine. Which wasn't my intention at all at all! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

You sure on that? Chelsea next 3 look like games he could profit from.

dahat wrote: »
    You sure on that? Chelsea next 3 look like games he could profit from.

I am not at all sure on it !!!!!
    I am very very unsure on what to do
    The most unsure I've ever been on anything which is why I'm reluctant to wildcard
    A lot of my players have good fixtures short term but Elliot Arnieappa and DCL means I currently no bench and rotation will hit next 2 gameweeks without doubt
    I also don't have aguero who is running away with captaincy poll

Now............I am considering Kane to kun.........alonsoss fixtures then turn when lanes turn back more or less too and I'd still have WC
    Probably sell Arnie too for a hit

My head is wrecked with it
    Don't want to make early transfers either but the WC team has 0 ITB..........given how uncertain I am I think I should hold WC and then decide what to do with Kane/kun

Oh my word I had been considering Willian as an early transfer and just got very lucky
    He was also in my WC team that had exact money for
    No transfer before Sunday now

• Advertisement

I think if you are so unsure then hold it.

I think if you are so unsure then hold it.

You are right thanks
    I’ll see if aguero starts at weekend and then decide what to do transfer wise

You are right thanks
    I’ll see if aguero starts at weekend and then decide what to do transfer wise

Fwiw I don’t expect him to start. If he does then Pep is possibly a lunatic manager.

Fwiw I don’t expect him to start. If he does then Pep is possibly a lunatic manager.

Sterling up top I think
    If not then he we start there instead of aguero Vs west brom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Pulled the trigger on the WC. Not too worried tbh. My plan is to see which DGW has the better teams playing doubles and aim towards that. TC on that GW and Free hit for the lesser teams or blank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Sterling up top I think
    If not then he we start there instead of aguero Vs west brom

Silva as a false 9 is another option. He's done it before

manual_man wrote: »
    Silva as a false 9 is another option. He's done it before

I'm getting tempted to bring Silva in actually for arnie
    One of many plans in my head !

Defo not doing it this week
    But next week
    Sanchez
    Maybe
    Maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Checking in.

What does a wildcard team look like these days?
    Any way of fitting Alonso/Salah/Sanchez/Kane into the same team?

• Advertisement

Sanchez at 99.9 % to a rise ..........

Advertisement