Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wildcard thread 2017/18

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

remoteboy wrote: »
    Torn as to whether or not to Wildcard. Feel like I'm losing a little bit of ground each week and need to nip it in the bud. Current team

DDG Eliot
    Alonso Otamendi Duffy Kenny Ogbonna
    Salah Sterling Lingard Fraser Walcott
    Kane Giroud Firmino

It's solid but there are weak spots in every position

Here's what I'm looking at -
    DDG Hennessy
    Alonso Laporte Francis Bardsley Gomez
    Salah Sterling Martial Kenedy Amartey
    Aguero Wilson Kane

1.1m left over

Aguero is only until Jesus gets back. Will shift him out then and look to get Sanchez in or possibly Auba once we see how the new recruits settle in.

Is it worth pulling the trigger?

Thanks.

Defo not
    Original team is fine for this week
    Wildcarding 2 hours before deadline never ends well
    I think Kane and aguero will score similar this week anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Posted this team Tuesday before Walcott, Ayew and Wilson scored, and haven't really moved off it yet.

Think I'll put in Bardsley instead of Ward as I don't want 2 defenders coming back from injury (Simpson being the other). Slightly worried about Rambo, whether he splits time with Wilshire. Will move to Arnie if he doesn't get time.

Fabianski - (Coleman)
    Alonso - Jones - Simpson/Bardsley - (Hunnemier)
    Salah - Sterling - Sanchez - Walcott - Ramsey
    Kane - Ayew/Wilson

Still have 0.5 in the bank, any suggestions for an upgrade? Robertson instead of one of Simpson/Bardsley?
    Eventful day....
    11:20 - Hear Jones isn't playing. Rush to computer to try to switch him for Laporte. Don't make it in time :mad:
    11:30 - Laporte dropped :)
    1:30 - Bardsley off injured :mad:
    2:00 - Jones not starting :mad:
    3:20 - Goes to boards.ie to thank Iused2likebusts for reccomending Bauer - on for a clean sheet :)
    3:25 - **** Bauer :mad:
    3:30 - Had Shaquiri in my pre-wildcard team :mad:
    4:30 - Sanchez (c) scores, haul on the way - I'm a genius :)
    4:31 - Realise I had Lossl in my prewildcard team who saved the penalty :mad:
    5:35 - Thank god I picked Ramsey :)
    5:50 - Aaron would be a good name for my next child :pac:
    7:00 - I love Aaron Ramsey :pac:
    7:30 - Opens champagne :p

km79 wrote: »
    if aguero rises and kane drops I can afford Hennessy and Adrian and be almost certain of having a keeper for the blanks. And probably never ever getting a clean sheet again!!!!I just cant buy foster again.......alternatively I could sign hegazi and fabianski and non playing keeper. Think id prefer to have the 2 playing keepers and mawson
    Also I once again have 2 swans in my team. Every year. No idea how it keeps happening

2 cleanies out of 2 from the keepers
    And I don’t own Ben Foster
    For that alone I’m declaring my WC a success

99 pts
    I’m never leaving my WC this late again
    Last 3 seasons it has put me top of my work league when played early January
    Experimented this year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Thinking of pulling the trigger on something like the below. Too many players not playing or out of form, Elliott, Stones, Lingard, JRod and Zanka.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Contemplating this team with my wildcard. Need to make up loads of ground so might as well go for it. Any thoughts ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

threein99 wrote: »
    Contemplating this team with my wildcard. Need to make up loads of ground so might as well go for it. Any thoughts ?

Apologies for being so blunt, but thats madness.

You will be playing one of McArthur or Carroll every week and the other will be your only (possible) playing sub. Shaqiri is not consistent enough to be a 3rd midfielder. If any rotation hits (you have 5 attackers with CL commitments) you will struggle to field XI.

You have no Man Utd defensive cover, the best defence in the league.

You have 6 'big hitters' in Alonso, Sterling, Salah, Kane, Firmino and Aguero. I'd reckon most people have 4 of these, possibly 5, so I'm not sure how much ground this team would realistically make up.

How far behind are u?

Benimar wrote: »
    Apologies for being so blunt, but thats madness.

You will be playing one of McArthur or Carroll every week and the other will be your only (possible) playing sub. Shaqiri is not consistent enough to be a 3rd midfielder. If any rotation hits (you have 5 attackers with CL commitments) you will struggle to field XI.

You have no Man Utd defensive cover, the best defence in the league.

You have 6 'big hitters' in Alonso, Sterling, Salah, Kane, Firmino and Aguero. I'd reckon most people have 4 of these, possibly 5, so I'm not sure how much ground this team would realistically make up.

How far behind are u?

About 100 points in any leagues I care about. Alonso and Valencia is a swap I could make, especially if Chelsea continue to implode. The way I see it is if I leave it as it is I'll finish 100 points behind. I still have all my chips

About 100 points in any leagues I care about. Alonso and Valencia is a swap I could make, especially if Chelsea continue to implode. The way I see it is if I leave it as it is I'll finish 100 points behind. I still have all my chips

You won't be using BB with that team!

Hard to give full advice without seeing your current team, but with all your chips left, I'd be trying to hit on a couple of captain picks, especially the TC and using the WC to set up your BB.

You won't be using BB with that team!

Hard to give full advice without seeing your current team, but with all your chips left, I'd be trying to hit on a couple of captain picks, especially the TC and using the WC to set up your BB.

My current team

• Advertisement

My current team

Your bench is killing you, there must have been weeks where you haven't been able to field 11. Downgrade Hazard (and possibly Alonso) and upgrade your 5th mid or 3rd striker.

You are currently essentially committed to playing the same 11 players each week (and a 4-4-2 formation)

Also, I know you are chasing, but I'd have captained Salah or Aguero this week, especially if your ML rivals were likely to captain either of them. 78% of the captain poll captained one or the other. Sometimes you just have to go with the 'obvious' choice and try make up ground elsewhere.

Your bench is killing you, there must have been weeks where you haven't been able to field 11. Downgrade Hazard (and possibly Alonso) and upgrade your 5th mid or 3rd striker.

You are currently essentially committed to playing the same 11 players each week (and a 4-4-2 formation)

Also, I know you are chasing, but I'd have captained Salah or Aguero this week, especially if your ML rivals were likely to captain either of them. 78% of the captain poll captained one or the other. Sometimes you just have to go with the 'obvious' choice and try make up ground elsewhere.

Hazard is one of the few players I have the others dont, so I figured captaining him could help me make ground up. I'm still only 10-12 points off the others game week total who captained Salah and Aguero with my captain and two others to play tonight.

I do need more squad depth though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Fabianski

Van Djik Naughton Lowton Tarkowski Long

Salah Eriksen Son Ramsey Tarroll

Kane Aguero Vardy/Aubameyang

Concentrating my resources on a few teams: Liverpool,Spurs,Arsenal for attack and Sawnsea/Burnley for budget defence.

Think I'll switch Vardy for Aubameyang and possibly Son for Mhki after Arsenal play City depending on form of players involved. Will free hit GW31 and aim to play bench boost in GW34 with as many DGWers as possible (Arsenal, Spurs, Burnley and Swansea are all possible DGWs so could have about 10 from those teams - depending on FA cup progression/scheduling etc and then adjust the last few positions with transfers.

Played my TC on Kane already and have pretty much been marooned at between 100k and 200k since gameweek 7 so need this WC to pay dividends or its going to be my most disappointing season in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Do people not leave the 2nd wildcard for double gameweeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Fabianski

Concentrating my resources on a few teams: Liverpool,Spurs,Arsenal for attack and Sawnsea/Burnley for budget defence.

Think I'll switch Vardy for Aubameyang and possibly Son for Mhki after Arsenal play City depending on form of players involved. Will free hit GW31 and aim to play bench boost in GW34 with as many DGWers as possible (Arsenal, Spurs, Burnley and Swansea are all possible DGWs so could have about 10 from those teams - depending on FA cup progression/scheduling etc and then adjust the last few positions with transfers.

Played my TC on Kane already and have pretty much been marooned at between 100k and 200k since gameweek 7 so need this WC to pay dividends or its going to be my most disappointing season in years.

I'm thinking of a similar approach with Spurs & Arsenal attack along with a Spurs full back (I know they are rotated but they offer good attacking returns and then one of my cheap defenders will fill in).
    I came up with this
    Karius (Coleman)
    Fernandez Trippier  Mee (Chilwell, Lowton)
    Salah Eriksen Ramsey Deulofeu (JWP)
    Kane Aubameyang Firmino

Crazy going without Aguero - I know but City have 3 fixtures before there next PL game and then have Arsenal & Chelsea. Think Aguero will play all 3 before PL game and potential Jesus will be back then.
    It's a punt, I'm chasing some leagues, but it is a punt Im willing take

• Registered Users Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Fabianski

I'm thinking of a similar approach with Spurs & Arsenal attack along with a Spurs full back (I know they are rotated but they offer good attacking returns and then one of my cheap defenders will fill in).
    I came up with this
    Karius (Coleman)
    Kane Aubameyang Firmino

Crazy going without Aguero - I know but City have 3 fixtures before there next PL game and then have Arsenal & Chelsea. Think Aguero will play all 3 before PL game and potential Jesus will be back then.
    Need Utd defence in there I think

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭slimshady007

This. Or more specifically De Gea. Out of all the keepers and defenders in the league only Alonso is ahead of him by 1 point. Yes he's 5.9 but he's rotation proof and his save stats are incredible. 15 clean sheets in 27 games says it all. Put a 4.0 keeper with him and cheap out on budget defenders if you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Fabianski

I came up with this
    Karius (Coleman)
    Kane Aubameyang Firmino

Liverpool have kept 17 clean sheets in their last 33 games. In their last 6 PL games towards the CL (Top4) run-in they secured 5 out of 6 clean sheets.
    Liverpool yesterday looked like a team that are happy enough to revert back to this style as the season looks to be finishing up.
    Karius is nailed on No.1 now.
    Liverpool have 11 PL clean sheets this year, Man Utd have 15.
    Liverpool have West Ham, Watford & Newcastle at home in 3 of their next 4 PL matches.
    I'm happy enough with this

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bezuaua

TO WILDCARD OR NOT... there is the question...

Adrian --» DDG
    Elliot --» Coleman

Mee
    Cuco Martina
    Jones --» Naughton
    Ake --» 4.5
    Gomez --» Robertson

Salah
    Walcott
    Bernardo Silva -- » Sterling
    Richarlison --» JWP
    RLC --» McArthur

Aguero
    Kane
    Firmino

Any considerations are more than welcome... before deadline :D

Fabianski

Naughton Ward Lowton Tarkowski Simpson

Salah Eriksen Mane Mhki Tarroll

Kane Firmino Vardy

Latest draft - 3 Liverpool attackers is always fun.

3 Burnley defenders - hard to know who will start RB for the rest of season? seemed Bardsley had established himself but Lowton did well against City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Blanco100 wrote: »

That's what the smart money does ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rikand wrote: »
    That's what the smart money does ;)

I was tempted to wildcard but feck it,bar a couple of tweaks there's not enough changes to be made to warrant wildcarding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,317 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Blanco100 wrote: »

i nearly always do it early. there is no rule for the second wildcard.

if your team is in a jock, it could well be the perfect time to do it.
    if you like your team, and you're scoring well, and see no reason for wholesale changes, then saving it for a DGW is a fine plan.

I'm trying to save for the DGW this year, purely because i don't mind the look of my team currently.

my plan is to WC around GW32 hopefully. it's an international week, and we should also know the entire lay of the land in terms of when fixtures will be played. i should be able to prepare my team for the run in (though nothing is ever guaranteed).

i repeat though: there is no perfect time to do it.

i WC'd in early January the last couple of years, and it ended up ok. i didn't lose out to the late wildcarders.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I wildcarded in Jan and went from 430k to 100k. My team was a mess. Holding the wildcard wouldn't have given me the same boost. If your team is fine hold the wildcard if your team needs major surgery its pointless holding it for dgws.

I wildcarded in Jan and went from 430k to 100k. My team was a mess. Holding the wildcard wouldn't have given me the same boost. If your team is fine hold the wildcard if your team needs major surgery its pointless holding it for dgws.

I didn’t for the first time ever and waited at approx 430k for another month !!!!
    Even after 2 good weeks I’m only just inside top 300k
    Won’t be holding it next year

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

2nd wildcarded last year around game week 26. Went from 300k to 30k in 5/6 gameweeks (got Lukaku, Coleman, Josh King etc)
    However I got killed in the double gameweeks by lads who wildcarded late.
    If I had it back again I would have taken a -20 with 2 FT's and kept my wildcard.
    Unless my team needs a total overhaul (at least 10 transfers) I think it's worth taking a points hit over 1/2 gameweeks and keep the wildcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Seaba wrote: »
    2nd wildcarded last year around game week 26. Went from 300k to 30k in 5/6 gameweeks (got Lukaku, Coleman, Josh King etc)
    However I got killed in the double gameweeks by lads who wildcarded late.
    If I had it back again I would have taken a -20 with 2 FT's and kept my wildcard.
    Unless my team needs a total overhaul (at least 10 transfers) I think it's worth taking a points hit over 1/2 gameweeks and keep the wildcard.

Or you could take a -20 for the dgws.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Or you could take a -20 for the dgws.

True, but come DGW time I would be looking to make more than say 7 changes (-20 and 2FT) - it's usually closer to 12, sticking with the few essential keepers and then the rest based on form, what teams have something to play for and what the fixtures are like in the DGW and the weeks to follow.
    As many have said there is no right time to place the wildcard. For me in the future my team must be in tatters to play the wildcard otherwise a -16 or -20 with 2FT should be enough to sort the main problems out.

Fabianski

Naughton Ward Lowton Long Simpson

Mane Salah Eriksen Mahrez Carroll

Kane Firmino Vardy

My latest draft - will be seriously pissed if this snow storm comes to fruition next week and messes up all my long term planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Active

Advertisement