Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wildcard thread 2017/18

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Rikand wrote: »
    Surely city will be going all out for the 100 points in a season mark. I read somewhere that pep was looking to do that, that its only been done by a handful of clubs in Europe ever.

It's definitely a good counter argument. I don't doubt that Guardiola won't want to let up and will be going out to win all remaining PL games with a very professional and intense attitude.

It's just I'm really unsure who to go with from City and they do have such quality in reserve that they could still be really trying for this whilst also prioritising the CL.

Aguero and Jesus when both fit are kind of viewed almost on an equal footing so Jesus' return rules them both out for me as you get at best 60 minutes from your expensive striker and a lot of uncertainty.

Then you have 2 places for Sterling, Sane and B. Silva to fit in. B. Silva has been very effective and it's not really hugely weakening the team to put him in there. I just can't really see any one of these 3 playing every league match from here on out.

Then you have D. Silva and KDB who are fairly nailed when fit (but again you would wonder if Foden and Gundogan are given some time here from GW34 on).

Laporte has been given time in the league and Guardiola may not want to risk such a new signing in big CL games. CB is a position that needs less resting for sure, so Otamendi could still play every match, but again I would lean towards him being rested here and there with the quality in depth City have at CB - can see Stones and Laporte seeing out the season (even just for Pep to get a good look at them), as the main pairing of Otter and Kompany take on the big CL ties.

Ederson is the only nailed one imo to play every game.

B.Silva and Laporte are well worth keeping an eye on as cheaper ways in who might get regular time.

With GW34 having one match against Spurs, I could see some of their more established players being played in that one (a tough fixture) and perhaps rested for the easier game, so it's not a hugely attractive DGW for City imo.

There are definitely valid counter arguments against going Cityless when you think about how lethal they've been. There's a great chance that one of their big hitters scores huge in DGW 34 but I'm really not sure which one to choose. As I'm WCing now to take advantage of a BB in 34 (and a good team leading into that), City are not that attractive when I can't guarantee Sterling (or Sane or whoever) to play both 34 fixtures.

I see the likes of Mahrez in midfield, Mustafi in defence or Auba in attack as better options for 32, 33, and DGW 34.

Worth keeping in mind also however that the QF against Liverpool is far from a foregone conclusion and City could be out of the CL by GW34. This would obviously mean less rotation likely. They also have the best fixture in 35 so may well look to bring players back in for that one.

Hopefully more info on who might play at that point based on Pep's selections leading into it and confirmation on CL progress (we may well see a pattern of - or even some Pep comments - for example, Jesus / B.Silva / Laporte being used exclusively in PL at this point).

If that's the case we should have some FTs to bring one or two back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

Latest wildcard draft, not sure about two Chelsea mids but cant see who else with spurs having such poor fixtures.

https://imgur.com/a/2TMR9

mccard wrote: »
    Latest wildcard draft, not sure about two Chelsea mids but cant see who else with spurs having such poor fixtures.

Mahrez would be my choice and use the extra funds in defence/gk.

I would say that chelsea and united cleanies are must haves in this wc.

Then again if you're far behind in your mini league and looking for diferrentials Hazard could be a great one. So if that's the case your team looks good for a possible dice roll.

But Mahrez is a nailed on pick for any WC imo, and that defence looks a little light to me.

One name I haven't seen mentioned much is Arnoutovic.

Still a major threat at his price imo. Playing up top, everything going through him. Could easily have had a few goals against Burnley recently.

He's in my wc team as things stand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Thoughts on Chelsea defenders? Also considering of dropping DDG for Ryan, not a huge loss on potential points return, but will free up cash for else where, second keeper is Fab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭patmac

Current pick is
    DDG,Fabianski,
    Davies, Mee, Morgan,Mawson, PVA(looking for a replacement 5.1)
    Son,Salah,Mahrez, Silva, Kennedy,
    Barnes,Augh,Lukaku

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Cartman78

More tinkering....this is my first City-less draft :eek:

DDG | Fabianski

Cedric| Mee | Azpi | Robertson | Morgan

Kenedy | Salah | Son | Ki | Mahrez

Lukaku | Aubameyang | Murray

Will probably bottle it in the end and get Dilva/Sane/Sterling in at the last minute...will deffo need some cover for GW35

Morzadec wrote: »
    Mahrez would be my choice and use the extra funds in defence/gk.

I would say that chelsea and united cleanies are must haves in this wc.

Then again if you're far behind in your mini league and looking for diferrentials Hazard could be a great one. So if that's the case your team looks good for a possible dice roll.

But Mahrez is a nailed on pick for any WC imo, and that defence looks a little light to me.

Had Mahrez but swapped for Vardy. Cant have both IMO. Agreed on defence though. Have since swapped out Hazard for Sterling and Jesus to Aubameyang which frees up 1.4 for defence.

Thanks.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Thoughts on Chelsea defenders? Also considering of dropping DDG for Ryan, not a huge loss on potential points return, but will free up cash for else where, second keeper is Fab.

Courtois, Alonso and Azpi should be nailed.

Was looking into this a bit and apparently Christensen should be as good as nailed. He's basically always played when fit recently, Luiz has no set return date and is out of favour with Conte.

I can't be 100% he will play every game, but I've taken the risk on Christy as he really frees up a huge amount of funds, and I genuinely do think he probably will play the remaining games.

Re: DDG, I find it hard to leave him out, based on the logic that I can't be totally sure if Smalling, Jones or Bailly are nailed, and Valencia is very overpriced.

Smalling has played almost every match recently but that's co-incided with injuries for Bailly and Jones. United fans may correct me but I feel that those two are considered the best pairing by Mourinho and Smalling might end up on the bench. Too much doubt over all 3 imo.

Then Valencia doesn't really offer the bonus / attacking threat for that price imo (much better to go with Alonso / Azpi for premium defender)

United cleanies are a must-have based on their fixtures and cleany track record, so based on the above reasoning I feel DDG has to included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Can you cancel your wildcard, and take the points hit ?

Edit: To answer my own question, no you can not. Well that is a pain in the ass!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Morzadec wrote: »
    Courtois, Alonso and Azpi should be nailed.

Was looking into this a bit and apparently Christensen should be as good as nailed. He's basically always played when fit recently, Luiz has no set return date and is out of favour with Conte.

I can't be 100% he will play every game, but I've taken the risk on Christy as he really frees up a huge amount of funds, and I genuinely do think he probably will play the remaining games.

Re: DDG, I find it hard to leave him out, based on the logic that I can't be totally sure if Smalling, Jones or Bailly are nailed, and Valencia is very overpriced.

Smalling has played almost every match recently but that's co-incided with injuries for Bailly and Jones. United fans may correct me but I feel that those two are considered the best pairing by Mourinho and Smalling might end up on the bench. Too much doubt over all 3 imo.

Then Valencia doesn't really offer the bonus / attacking threat for that price imo (much better to go with Alonso / Azpi for premium defender)

United cleanies are a must-have based on their fixtures and cleany track record, so based on the above reasoning I feel DDG has to included.

I wouldnt say best pairing, more like least terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

United,
    Chelsea,
    Leicester,
    Southampton,
    Burnley,
    Salah and Son

the base for my wildcard, and fitting in the rest around that. Working towards 14 dgw'ers for BB34, and 10 dgw'ers for 37. The other will obviously be Salah in both.

It would all be working out very nicely if I hadn't spunked the TC on Kane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭COH

Wow that spreadsheet is feckin' brilliant!

Being on the WC this week I'm now definitely aiming for a 34BB (14DGW + Salah), 35FH (thank the baby jeebus for this) and 37TC (10 DGWers + Salah)

De Gea - Ryan
    Davies - Smalling - Christensen - Lowton - Morgan
    Salah - Willian - Son - Mahrez - Gudmundson
    Lukaku - Vardy - Barnes

0.5ITB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Currently on this:

DDG Hennessy
    Tarkowski Lowton Monreal Dunk Morgan
    Salah Mahrez Gudmondson Son Willian
    Auba Lukaku Vardy

0 itb. BB in 34. No FH so will probably sell Mahrez and Lukaku with fts get up to 10 for 35. The expensive frontline might be too hard on my defence though. No Chelsea/Spurs defensive cover is a worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

COH wrote: »
    Wow that spreadsheet is feckin' brilliant!

Being on the WC this week I'm now definitely aiming for a 34BB (14DGW + Salah), 35FH (thank the baby jeebus for this) and 37TC (10 DGWers + Salah)

De Gea - Ryan
    Davies - Smalling - Christensen - Lowton - Morgan
    Salah - Willian - Son - Mahrez - Gudmundson
    Lukaku - Vardy - Barnes

0.5ITB

Looking at similar with

Barnes - Murray
    Davies - Dunk

rest are all different players but same teams in defence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

Getting there with it:
    DDG Fab
    Monreal Christie Simpson Tark Stephens
    Salah Son Kenedy Mahrez Willian
    Auba Barnes Lukaku

Any feedback appreciated

DDG Ryan

Tarkowski Morgan Alonso Bailly Dunk

Son Mahrez Gudmunsson Salah Willian

Lukaku Vardy Murray

Might swap Auba for Lukaku but revert to this for 34

Thoughts?

bantee wrote: »
    Getting there with it:
    DDG Fab
    Monreal Christie Simpson Tark Stephens
    Salah Son Kenedy Mahrez Willian
    Auba Barnes Lukaku

Any feedback appreciated

What chips you have? And when BBing?

naughtb4 wrote: »
    What chips you have? And when BBing?
    I’m planning on BB 34, FH 35 and TC 37

Swap Fab for Double player? Ryan maybe as rotates with DDG for City game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭patmac

DDG,Ryan,
    Davies, Mee, Morgan, Tark,Azpi
    Son,Salah,Mahrez, Willian,Kennedy,
    Barnes,Augh,Lukaku

All chips in play BB in 34, FH35, TC 37,
    3 Burnley, no city and Davies my current concerns. Augh to Vardy fo 34.
    Thoughts please.

Yep just did that, need to check Cartmans planning sheet now again but I should be up to 24 DGW players with a plan to move Auba out before 34 and increase to 26

patmac wrote: »
    DDG,Ryan,
    Davies, Mee, Morgan, Tark,Azpi
    Son,Salah,Mahrez, Willian,Kennedy,
    Barnes,Augh,Lukaku

All chips in play BB in 34, FH35, TC 37,
    3 Burnley, no city and Davies my current concerns. Augh to Vardy fo 34.
    Thoughts please.
    Practically identical team and plan that I have! I like it

I just can't see Davies playing both games

Ya that’s why I went without him, might go Monreal to Vert before 34 too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Davies played both games in their last double game week and that was with a cup game in the mix too. Wasn't the semi final of course...

I see Christensen was sent home from Denmark squad with fatigue. Throws a spanner in the works..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I see Christensen was sent home from Denmark squad with fatigue. Throws a spanner in the works..

Probably trained for 59:59 before leaving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

dsmythy wrote: »
    Davies played both games in their last double game week and that was with a cup game in the mix too. Wasn't the semi final of course...

That was because Rose was being given the cup game. Davies is first choice and I’d be amazed if he doesn’t get the City and Cup SF games, with Rose playing at Brighton.

Lloris or one of the CBs is the only way into Spurs defence for the First DGW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

De Gea, Ryan
    Morgan, Alonso, Dunk, Stephens, Tarkowski
    Salah, Son, Gross, Willian, Mahrez
    Lukaku, Barnes, Aubameyang

Happy enough. Gross Barnes could easily be Gud Murray. Aub should become Vardy in 34. About 1.3 itb to somehow shoehorn Kane in for 37

Advertisement