Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wildcard thread 2017/18

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 650 ✭✭✭PVA

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Huh? Why and how do you come to this theory that Eriksen is must have?

Only an opinion, but the simple version would focus on the theory that most will eventually have either Alli or Eriksen in their team (if not both), and I feel the latter will be the one to pick. Solid PL history, solid pre-season scoring against Juventus and PSG, and has been involved with every Spurs goal to date... and they will score plenty this season. He's on free-kicks, corners etc

It's similar to saying one of Mane/Salah is a 'must-have', or one of Pogba/Mkhitryan, although I do think Eriksen is a season keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

PVA wrote: »
    Huh? Why and how do you come to this theory that Eriksen is must have?

Only an opinion, but the simple version would focus on the theory that most will eventually have either Alli or Eriksen in their team (if not both), and I feel the latter will be the one to pick. Solid PL history, solid pre-season scoring against Juventus and PSG, and has been involved with every Spurs goal to date... and they will score plenty this season. He's on free-kicks, corners etc

It's similar to saying one of Mane/Salah is a 'must-have', or one of Pogba/Mkhitryan, although I do think Eriksen is a season keeper.

Season keeping a must have is some one in the ilk of Suarez, Ronaldo, Sanchez / Aguero a few years back.... Eriksen is not in this bracket!

Eriksen will go up and down in terms of returns

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

FHFC wrote: »
    Even the one year I played before price rises rates slowed dramatically the week after the IB had far more rises. Can't comment on before that but my whole point in that in 5 years a surprising amount of people haven't accepted the status quo. IB is crap for price rises.
    Are you sure about that? I mean there's a diff between the number of rises and the number of £0.2m rises that allow a direct £0.1m profit. And that is a very specific category since it only includes players like Capoue or Mooy this year for example, who started the season great but that you don't consider in your mid-term WC plan and it doesn't include premium players like Lukaku this year for instance.

The year you refer to (2013/14 IIRC) was also special in that FPL removed the weighting factors for price changes. But I remember playing my WC during the first international break (I think it was the first season I played an early team value maker WC - I used to keep it for late DGWs) and gaining at least £0.3m from rising players I did not want to keep at all (I even remember making £0.2m on 1 or 2 players I had kept and transferred the following GWs since they had their 4th rise for deadline day eve)). Don't think that would have been possible the following GW.

Anyway, that strategy is dead and buried now.

Season keeping a must have is some one in the ilk of Suarez, Ronaldo, Sanchez / Aguero a few years back.... Eriksen is not in this bracket!

Eriksen will go up and down in terms of returns

Every player will go up and down! It's very rare to have any player as consistent as Suarez, Aguero etc. This season may not even have any, that doesn't mean there are no players that should form the backbone of your team for the season. It's all about value. Vardy and Mahrez would have fit the bill in 2015/16, Alonso last season

The four players you mention were all in the £12m-£13m bracket and had the bonus of being the obvious captaincy choice each week. This honour will likely fall to Kane this season, despite his bad start, although Lukaku, Aguero, Sanchez and Hazard could all make a claim to this spot.The difference being, Eriksen is £9.5m. Most teams have 2-3 midfielders in the £9m-£10m bracket, and I feel Eriksen will be the top scorer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

macraignil wrote: »
    OK. Well below respectable points from start of season and wildcard activated.
    DeGea Foster
    Hegazi Jones Alonso McGuire Zanka
    Ali Mane Phillips Jese Mooy
    Morata Lukaku Okazaki

Some might say two good goalkeepers is overspending on that area but Foster at 4.5 is almost the cheapest available and has got one more point than DeGea so far (on my bench). Got caught last year when Loris got injured and had bench fodder for a second goalkeeper so not likely to change there. Only them and Ali, Mane and Lukaku keeping their place so well worth the wild card I reckon. Okazaki and Zanka mainly in because of their price. Got 300,000 in bank after above selection after loosing 600,000 on Darmian so can't see much improvement possible myself. Any advice on the new selection appreciated.

Careful, Slimani scored twice there last night I believe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭macraignil

km79 wrote: »
    How did you lose .6 on darmian? He hasnt dropped 6 times

I had him in the squad at the start of the season and thought he was then 6m and since I used up my transfer the first week I had to wait for another game week to get him out on a free transfer and by then he was down to 5.4m. Actually you are probably right and I was wrong about the opening price as he was probably 5.5 to start. Down to 5.3 now anyway so good to get him out of the team. Sorry about the confusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

macraignil wrote: »
    I had him in the squad at the start of the season and thought he was then 6m and since I used up my transfer the first week I had to wait for another game week to get him out on a free transfer and by then he was down to 5.4m. Actually you are probably right and I was wrong about the opening price as he was probably 5.5 to start. Down to 5.3 now anyway so good to get him out of the team. Sorry about the confusion.

he was 5.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭macraignil

Careful, Slimani scored twice there last night I believe!

Thanks for the warning.

Not sure if any of the alternatives at that price have a nailed down first team place at the same time and not eager to get rid of any of the others in the team to free up more cash. Not convinced Calvert lewin will keep his place at Everton when Sandro is fit again, Tammy Abraham could be the most likely to get their game but I reckon Swansea are likely to be going down this season and even if playing he's not likely to get much goals if they are defending for most of their games. Okaka from Watford looks good from their 1 st week but no idea why they were left out game week 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Team at the moment is
    Foster Elliot
    Taa Danilo Stephens cresswell smith
    Kdb mane Ramsey iwobi and Walters
    Jesus Kane gabbi

Option A
    Kdb and Walters out for mhki and richarlison

Option b
    Wildcard it and have
    Foster Elliot
    Alonso jones Robertson Schindler mbemba
    Mane Antonio Mkhi richarlison rlc
    Kane Jesus Hernandez

Thoughts please

Team at the moment is
    Foster Elliot
    Jesus Kane gabbi

Option A

Option b
    Wildcard it and have
    Foster Elliot
    Kane Jesus Hernandez

Thoughts please

I'd def go for option A and slog it out because that WC will be worth a lot more once the window has closed and players are back from international duty. Just ride it out man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Team at the moment is
    Foster Elliot
    Jesus Kane gabbi

Option A

Option b
    Wildcard it and have
    Foster Elliot
    Kane Jesus Hernandez

Thoughts please

Seems like you may be carrying over a FT?
    If so I would go Option A and wouldn't be afraid to take it to a -4 or -8 if really necessary (it doesn't look like it is).

With a -8 you would be very close to your WC team. I wouldn't be throwing Robertson into a team for a while.

I'd def go for option A and slog it out because that WC will be worth a lot more once the window has closed and players are back from international duty. Just ride it out man.

Could be worth more... it really depends on current team vs wildcard team.

Plenty of people can knee-jerk and use the wildcard too early, god knows selling Alonso has definitely played a part in my decision! That being said, I do think people can put too much value on the wildcard imo, taking -8 and -12 point hits rather than activating it.

The international break could be carnage, and could really hurt people like myself that activated the WC early. Does anyone have any stats on previous years international breaks? Has there ever been injuries to 3+ high owned players?

Correct. I should have said could. I'm dying to WC myself but no chance I'm doing it before international break. The window is less of a concern.

Correct. I should have said could. I'm dying to WC myself but no chance I'm doing it before international break. The window is less of a concern.

Yep, the decision to wildcard this week should have been taken on Sun night, latest Monday.

Wildcarding this early will always have risks attached, however it would take a large number of injuries over the Int break to specific players to be forced to take the -8 or -12 point hits people are currently discussing. I would be more concerned about the likes of Sanchez/Hazard etc coming back, or the decision to go without Lukaku, who will often be given the captaincy by the masses.

It will be interesting to see what % of the top managers use their Wildcard this week and next. Is there any site or twitter account that tracks this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,148 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

PVA wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what % of the top managers use their Wildcard this week and next. Is there any site or twitter account that tracks this?

fpldiscovery.wordpress.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

gameweek deadline looming and Richarlison has found his way in to my wildcard team :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

iroced wrote: »
    Are you sure about that? I mean there's a diff between the number of rises and the number of £0.2m rises that allow a direct £0.1m profit. And that is a very specific category since it only includes players like Capoue or Mooy this year for example, who started the season great but that you don't consider in your mid-term WC plan and it doesn't include premium players like Lukaku this year for instance.

The year you refer to (2013/14 IIRC) was also special in that FPL removed the weighting factors for price changes. But I remember playing my WC during the first international break (I think it was the first season I played an early team value maker WC - I used to keep it for late DGWs) and gaining at least £0.3m from rising players I did not want to keep at all (I even remember making £0.2m on 1 or 2 players I had kept and transferred the following GWs since they had their 4th rise for deadline day eve)). Don't think that would have been possible the following GW.

Anyway, that strategy is dead and buried now.

Yeah I remember that season (13/14) as it was my first and I was learning the ropes of the whole team value thing. I remember especially as I found this forum during that first IB. I watched and learned and made my tentative first post. And I wildcarded the week after and gaining 0.5 or 0.6 reselling people, and after getting a triple rise out of Ramsey decided to hold him a while just in case i got the 0.4 the week after. The only reason I ended up owning Ramsey for that whole mental run!!

So yeah, I know there was money to be made in the IB back then, but I definitely remember doing better the week after. One of the reasons I started studying this whole thing.

Current WC team:
    Hennessey Elliot
    Alonso Jones Briots (Hegazi Mbemba)
    Eriksen Mikki Ramsey Mooy (RLC)
    Kane (c) Lukaku Chicarito
    No Liverpool at present, will ride out and switch Eriksen to Mane after City
    Currently considering going Ramsey to Richarlison for this week, which will leave me with 1.6m ITB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Thoughts on the draft below would be very much appreciated folks!

Foster (Elliot)

Bailly Cedric Alonso ( Zanka, Rangel)

Siggy Ramsey, Alli, David Silva ( RLC)

Firmino Lukaku Chicarito

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Think I'm just about done:

Forster(Elliott)
    Jones Trippier Hegazy (Mee Mbemba)
    Mané Eriksen Mkyryan Pogba (Carroll)
    Kane Chicharito Firmino

A little bit concerned about defense in terms of fitness/first choice. Hegazy and Mee to rotate. Will check back on team news later.

• Advertisement

My WC team is quite similar manual_man, 7/8 same attackers.

De Gea (Elliott)
    Alonso Bertrand Hegazi (Lowe Mbemba)
    Mané Eriksen Mkyryan Mooy (Carroll)
    Kane Chicharito Firmino

I'm still not 100% sold on Bertrand over Trippier, partly down to this article - https://hotspurhq.com/2017/08/22/tottenham-might-not-thrive-kieran-trippier/. Having defensive coverage from three of United, Chelsea, Spurs, Southampton is a must IMO. I pulled back from Jones due to the lack of attacking quality, I want goals and assists from all of my defenders! Worth the extra £0.5m imo

Mane, Eriksen and Mkyryan are the picks of Liverpool, Spurs and United mids, but there really isn't much in it. Salah, Alli and Pogba could easily come out on top. It's like Liverpool MF roulette X 3 :( You've counteracted this a bit by getting both Pogba and Mkhitaryan in, could work out well. I really want Alonso in my team though, so this means downgrading somewhere. Lukaku and the strong 4th MF had to go... I thought about RLC but feel Carroll is the way forward for £4.5m MF, without Siggy he could come into his own this season.

Exactly the same strikeforce, I think there's solid value in Firmino and Chicharito although I'd be lying if I said a Lukaku/Aguero brace doesn't scare me! In Kane we trust...

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

FHFC wrote: »
    So yeah, I know there was money to be made in the IB back then, but I definitely remember doing better the week after. One of the reasons I started studying this whole thing.
    £0.5m-£0.6m thtat's huge! Fair played!
    Then again, that season was very different from the previous ones with the removal of the weighting factors.

I don't have detailed data from the previous seasons and I wasn't playing the team value game in full mode. But because the rises were not going as fast as now (since 13/14) - again weighting factors were applied - I feel the IBs were better thanks to their length. Despite the very quiet middle, the first 3/4 days and last 2/3 rush plus the (very) slow but steady middle were enough to get the sexcond rise and accumulate the £0.1m profits. In normal weeks, it required a lot of transfers to get the second rise. And there were barely 2m players too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

On the lash tonight so gotta lock in the WC now, I regret pulling the midweek trigger but f*ck it.

Please thoughts on this?

De Gea

Yoshida/Hegazi/Britos

Mane/D.Silva/Eriksen/Doucore

Kane/Lukaku/Mounie

Subs : Elliot/Brady/Schindler/Mbemba

On the lash tonight so gotta lock in the WC now, I regret pulling the midweek trigger but f*ck it.

Please thoughts on this?

De Gea

Yoshida/Hegazi/Britos

Kane/Lukaku/Mounie

Saints have signed a new central defender so Stephens or Yoshida could be for the chop. Consensus is it will Yoshida.

So if you defo want a Saint then Cedric would be the safe choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

In a bit of a trouble finishing my team.

Can have either DeBruyne or Mane. Can't have both, no matter what.

Mane is explosive, but going without one City player could be risky, too.
    Have Firmino, so some Liverpool cover in place.

Looking at DeBruyne he wasn't as dangerous as Mane (far from it), but last game with Walker's red card can't really be taken too seriously when assessing his form.

Any thoughts?

Thanks. (Edit: team below)

426183.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Please thoughts on this?

De Gea

Yoshida/Hegazi/Britos

Kane/Lukaku/Mounie

Brady should not be a bencher imo.
    I had Britos last year but I'm not sure he's ahead of Prodl in the order now.

wonski wrote: »

Looking at DeBruyne he wasn't as dangerous as Mane (far from it), but last game with Walker's red card can't really be taken too seriously when assessing his form.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

What are your other attackers. I'm going with no Liverpool or City coverage. Double Utd & Spurs

Kane + Eriksen
    Lukaku + Mikki
    (1.6 ITB)

Plan is to bring Mane in after the City game. Aguero going in after Liverpool for Kane or Lukaku

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

What are your other attackers. I'm going with no Liverpool or City coverage. Double Utd & Spurs

Kane + Eriksen
    Lukaku + Mikki
    (1.6 ITB)

Plan is to bring Mane in after the City game. Aguero going in after Liverpool for Kane or Lukaku

Just attached,

Kane Lukaku, Firmino and Chicharito, Eriksen and Pogba in midfield supported by Mooy. Carroll for bench. And Alonso :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Just attached,

Kane, Firmino and Chicharito, Eriksen and Pogba in midfield supported by Mooy. Carroll for bench. And Alonso :D

Short answer for me is Mane. More captainable :p too.
    A return is needed from KDB to survive a drop tomo.

• Advertisement

Any thoughts?

Thanks. (Edit: team below)

426183.png

Going on current form I'd go Mane over KDB.

I think the time for guessing is GW 1. I think when it comes to WC you go with the facts.

If it was my WC I would not be worried about City cover but if I had to be then it'd be Kun or Jesus.

Having Firmino shouldn't sway your decision. Its still a straight choice between Mane and KDB regardless of other players in your team.

Mane scored about 40 points less than KDB last season but played about 600 less minutes. He was also new to the Liverpool team and his season was interrupted by AFCON and injury. You know he will play every week and in what position.

After 2 games we still don't know what's going on with KDB. Well I don't. He was too deep last season and I fear that there are too many City mids that can play further up than him so he may find a position deeper in midfield again. Barring injury he will be my FT out after the internationals.

Advertisement