Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wildcard thread 2017/18

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Forster/Elliot
    Lowe Jones Hegazi /Rangel Mbemba
    Pogba Eirksen Mkhitaryan Mooy /Carroll
    Aguero Kane Firmino.

Kane and Aguero seem to be differentials for now and will rake in the points, Firmino on penos and is a huge threat and no brainer really.
    Pogba potenial on pens and seems to be firing off alot more shots than last season decent form.Eirkson cert for points on set pieces ,Mkhitaryan looks like to be living up to his Germany stats Mooy cheap and good form,Carroll starter bench fodder.
    Back line taking a hit with 3 starters but potential for high return need to change Mbemba as he might be injured.

I think Aguero over Lukaku could play out well playing 2 United mids as alot of the attack goes through them,City midfield is difficult to pick and Aguero wont play every minute but I expect him to get alot.

Thoughts and improvements ?

Defence is a bit dodgy, Hegazi Rangel and Mbemba may not start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Forster/Elliot
    Lowe Jones Hegazi /Rangel Mbemba
    Pogba Eirksen Mkhitaryan Mooy /Carroll
    Aguero Kane Firmino.

Kane and Aguero seem to be differentials for now and will rake in the points, Firmino on penos and is a huge threat and no brainer really.
    Pogba potenial on pens and seems to be firing off alot more shots than last season decent form.Eirkson cert for points on set pieces ,Mkhitaryan looks like to be living up to his Germany stats Mooy cheap and good form,Carroll starter bench fodder.
    Back line taking a hit with 3 starters but potential for high return need to change Mbemba as he might be injured.

I think Aguero over Lukaku could play out well playing 2 United mids as alot of the attack goes through them,City midfield is difficult to pick and Aguero wont play every minute but I expect him to get alot.

Thoughts and improvements ?

I have hegazi but I would not be keeping in that defence on a WC with McCauley back just in case
    Rangel won't play mbemba won't play
    You are asking for trouble then having hegazi along with jones in your only 3 starters
    Midfield is ok but personally not mad on double united mids
    There is no reason to justify that outlay on aguero
    First chance he got pep dropped him. And that was the last game ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

Currently on

Foster Elliot
    Mee Jones Naughton Cedric Schindler
    Mkhi Eriksen Mahrez RLC Carroll
    Kane Lukaku Firmino

Main question marks are:
    Keep Firmino or downgrade to Chicarito
    Swap Mahrez and one of the cheap mids to two mid priced options.

Thoughts?

I'd look at downgrading Mee or Schindler (Personally I'd prefer Lowe from Huddersfield as we think he's on penalties) to a 4.0 enabler and upgrading Mahrez to Salah.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 650 ✭✭✭PVA

Colking wrote: »
    I'd look at downgrading Mee or Schindler (Personally I'd prefer Lowe from Huddersfield as we think he's on penalties) to a 4.0 enabler and upgrading Mahrez to Salah.

Chatting to a Huddersfield fan last week (they exist!) who was surprised I asked about Lowe and penalties. Its his understanding that Mooy is their primary pen taker.

I have both, but only chose Lowe pre-season due to the chance he could be on pens. Not too bothered as its not like there is a stand out £4.5m option, and Huddersfield have somehow kept three clean sheets.

Good to know for those on a wildcard.

If I get another rise out of Hegazi I'll have exactly enough to downgrade Schindler to Francis and do Mahrez to Salah then. I don't really want a non playing defender going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

If I get another rise out of Hegazi I'll have exactly enough to downgrade Schindler to Francis and do Mahrez to Salah then. I don't really want a non playing defender going forward.

Good thinking. You also have Wimmer for Stoke and Yedlin for Newcastle @ 4.4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

To Sanchez or not to Sanchez..... On form he'd be a great captain option in 4 of the next 5 weeks and no champions league to worry about this year.. Its either him or Kane as the big hitter and Kane will be playing an awful lot of football over the next few days think it will be 5 games in 21 days possibly 6 if you add in the league cup it just seems a heavy workload to me

Drawn up an intersting 1st draft

Elliot foster
    Nyom naughton mee Cedric tuanzebe
    Pogba Sanchez eriksen salah hazard
    Calvert lewin Hernandez Gabbi

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭SeamusAFA

Foster Lossl
    Hegazi Clark Maguire Keane Naughton
    Alli Mane Mikhit Matic Sanches (swansea)
    Rooney Firmino Lukaku

I know defence is piss poor but doing that to get the rest.
    Rooney is a worry, what will happen him with the drink driving stuff

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭SeamusAFA

WD_Raceway wrote: »
    Foster Lossl
    Hegazi Clark Maguire Keane Naughton
    Alli Mane Mikhit Matic Sanches (swansea)
    Rooney Firmino Lukaku

I know defence is piss poor but doing that to get the rest.
    Rooney is a worry, what will happen him with the drink driving stuff

Changed to
    Foster Elliot
    Hegazi Clark Maguire Jones Naughton
    Alli Mane Mikhit Richarlison Sanches(swansea)
    Vardy Firmino Lukaku

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,885 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Drawn up an intersting 1st draft

Elliot foster Nyom naughton mee Cedric tuanzebe Pogba Sanchez eriksen salah hazard Calvert lewin Hernandez Gabbi

Interesting is one way of putting it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I nearly always go 3-4-3, but wasn't able to fit a team I was 100% happy with.

Going with this:

Lossl (Elliot)
    Bailly/Yoshida/Davies/Hegazi (Duffy)
    Salah/Alli/Mkhitaryan (Cork/Carroll)
    Lukaku/Morata/Firminho

No City players is the big issue, but Pep's rotation is a nightmare.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Interesting is one way of putting it.

Not your cup of tea? The midfield looks fun but risky with Sanchez and hazard only back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

To Sanchez or not to Sanchez..... On form he'd be a great captain option in 4 of the next 5 weeks and no champions league to worry about this year.. Its either him or Kane as the big hitter and Kane will be playing an awful lot of football over the next few days think it will be 5 games in 21 days possibly 6 if you add in the league cup it just seems a heavy workload to me

It's a risk of sorts, especially for the price, but I'm going for him anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,510 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Looking at:
    Elliot/Woodman
    Daniels/Jones/Cedric/Mee/Hunemeier (if he drops by Saturday morning)
    Carroll (ahead of a 4.4 if Hunemeier drops)/Renato Sanches/Mane/Alli/Pogba
    Kane/Lukaku/Firmino

It's a strong team I think, but it's definitely a cause for concern that I'm doubled up on United, Tottenham and Liverpool in attacking areas with no attacking players from Chelsea, City or Arsenal. But it's hard to find someone from those 3 that I would actually want until Alexis or Hazard find their way back into a rhythm.

Not your cup of tea? The midfield looks fun but risky with Sanchez and hazard only back

If Sanchez and Hazard show the kind of FF form we all know they are capable of then that midfield could compensate for the light front line.

Id be more conservative and would downgrade one of your midfielders to a 4.5/5 to allow you to upgrade one of your front 2 to include 1 from Lukaku, Kane or Aguero

....or even a less risky combo of something like 2 fron Jesus/Firmino/Morata

GLaDOS wrote:
    Lossl (Elliot) Bailly/Yoshida/Davies/Hegazi (Duffy) Salah/Alli/Mkhitaryan (Cork/Carroll) Lukaku/Morata/Firminho

I too have Yoshida, Davies and Hegazi but Im not wildcarding yet as all 3 are going to be under pressure to keep their places in the coming weeks.

Which is crazy considering how much they've scored so far this season but Rose will be back soon, VVD and that new signing for Southampton are both in contention and Hegazi could be effected by McAuleys return (not to mention that howler by Hegazi that cost WBA points in gw3)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I too have Yoshida, Davies and Hegazi but Im not wildcarding yet as all 3 are going to be under pressure to keep their places in the coming weeks.

Which is crazy considering how much they've scored so far this season but Rose will be back soon, VVD and that new signing for Southampton are both in contention and Hegazi could be effected by McAuleys return (not to mention that howler by Hegazi that cost WBA points in gw3)

Cheers for that, valid points.

Had actually forgotten about VVD! Will bring in Cedric instead for the same price.

Davies I reckon will be ok for a few weeks. FPL have Rose back next week, but physioroom has him out til the end of September and they're usually reliable. Given the severity of his injury I'd say he'll be eased back in.

Hegazi is a tricky one. Would like a WBA defender, but there's a lot of uncertainty as to who will start. May have to look elsewhere.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Think I'm set on the bulk of my team.

Currently trying to debate if I can go without Lukaku and double up on Pogba/Mkhitaryan instead.

Also considering going 3-5-2 and adding Siggy to the mix.

For premium players I think I've a choice of Alonso/Jesus or Kane/Maguire. Don't think I can fit Kane AND Alonso.

I'm considering Mane, Eriksen and Pogba/Mkhitaryan essentials, trying to avoid doubling Mane with Firmino but he's the best sub 10m striker at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 650 ✭✭✭PVA

CSF wrote: »
    Looking at:
    Elliot/Woodman
    Daniels/Jones/Cedric/Mee/Hunemeier (if he drops by Saturday morning)
    Carroll (ahead of a 4.4 if Hunemeier drops)/Renato Sanches/Mane/Alli/Pogba
    Kane/Lukaku/Firmino

It's a strong team I think, but it's definitely a cause for concern that I'm doubled up on United, Tottenham and Liverpool in attacking areas with no attacking players from Chelsea, City or Arsenal. But it's hard to find someone from those 3 that I would actually want until Alexis or Hazard find their way back into a rhythm.

2 x £4m keepers is asking for trouble, although I think we can be confident in Elliot until Christmas. The problem is, will he get many clean sheets? Also, whats the craic with Darlow? If for some reason he ends up playing you may need to take a points hit to have a playing keeper... Defence is OK although some concerns around Daniels - a tough run of fixtures, you would play him every week and may be relying on attacking points. Jones and Cedric seem to have cemented their spots, for now.

Midfield you've gone with the Spurs/Liverpool/United mix which is becoming something of a template. I think Carroll is still the standout £4.5m 5th MF, although I'm not sold on Renato Sanchez. If you go with 3-4-3 you would be playing one of these every week. Up front is where you are really strong, with 1/3 of your total budget spent on three strikers. This is at the expense of a premium keeper, premium defender, and 4th midfielder. It also leaves you with a decision on captaincy, which will inevitably lead to frustration some weeks!

There's no right or wrong decision, but the £4m-£5m you could save by downgrading either Kane or Lukaku could really strengthen the rest of the team. I think an inherent part of the £11m+ pricetag on players is linked to the return when you captain them.

• Advertisement

Good thinking. You also have Wimmer for Stoke and Yedlin for Newcastle @ 4.4

Great shout on Yedlin, he looks the pick of the 4.4 defenders I think. Will probably ditch Francis for him, Bournemouth can't defend and Wimmer's fixtures don't look appealing for another month or so.

Alli vs Eriksen and Pogba vs Mkhi is wrecking my head. Alli being suspended for the first 3 CL games might swing it in his favour. Mkhi is more creative but will probably see less game. Will probably end up going Alli/Pogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Alli vs Eriksen and Pogba vs Mkhi is wrecking my head. Alli being suspended for the first 3 CL games might swing it in his favour. Mkhi is more creative but will probably see less game. Will probably end up going Alli/Pogba.

Gone with Pogba and Eirksen myself,Pogba might be on Penos and Eirksen edges it slightly for me even tho theres not much in it.

Sanchez is temping me aswell,is Yedlin going to start?

Gone with Pogba and Eirksen myself,Pogba might be on Penos and Eirksen edges it slightly for me even tho theres not much in it.

Sanchez is temping me aswell,is Yedlin going to start?

He should do, pretty sure he was first choice last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,148 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

If Sanchez and Hazard show the kind of FF form we all know they are capable of then that midfield could compensate for the light front line.

Id be more conservative and would downgrade one of your midfielders to a 4.5/5 to allow you to upgrade one of your front 2 to include 1 from Lukaku, Kane or Aguero

....or even a less risky combo of something like 2 fron Jesus/Firmino/Morata

Aguero? He's an 11.5 million rotation risk now. Not a good fantasy asset in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Surely Hazard goes straight back into the Chelsea team,nicely eased in by Belgium in both games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭patmac

Team A (current Wildcard team)
    Foster, Elliot,
    Alonso,Jones, Bavies, Cedric, Rosenior,
    Mane, Pogba, Eriksen, Brady, Carroll
    Lukaku, Firmino,Chicarito
    Team B
    De Gea,Elliot,
    Jones, Bavies, Gomez, Yedlin,Cedric,
    Mane, Pogba, Eriksen, Brady, Sanches
    Kane, Firmino,Chicarito
    No Chelsea or City in B but I prefer that one I think.

Final draft hopefully, not a penny left in the bank

Foster Elliot
    Jones Cedric Naughton Mee Yedlin
    Salah Eriksen Mkhi Carroll RLC
    Kane Lukaku Firmino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Any love for Siggy, he got two goals few nights ago, I'm thinking about getting him in.

• Advertisement

Any love for Siggy, he got two goals few nights ago, I'm thinking about getting him in.

In 2 weeks his fixtures take a nice upturn

Advertisement