Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour's dogs barking all day every day

• 13-08-2017 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭

There's a young couple living about 150 meters from me and they are both out all day Mon-Sat. and they have two large collies out in their back garden who bark all day long till the couple return in the evening.

I'm a distance away and the continuous barking is driving me mad so I can imagine how their immediate neighbours suffer. This is going on about two years now and no-one seems to have approached these people about getting the barking stopped.

How would I attempt to do something about this? Is the ISPCA interested in this sort of problem? I'm not sure the dogs are actually being mistreated, apart from being locked in a garden from morning till evening, or if that is even considered mistreatment by the ISPCA? Also, I doubt the Guards would have any interest in this sort of thing.

I'm slow to approach these people as I'm not an immediate neighbour, and I have a feeling they don't care about the situation anyway.

Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I have had an issue like this myself. The ispca warden reported me to the guards for harassing him because I kept calling as nothing was being done. The guards informed me it is a noise pollution issue and they cannot do anything and I was to contact the council.

So in short no, there is nothing you can do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Had a similar issue here, you can complain to the District Court by picking up a Noise Abatement Order from your local Garda station.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

You can report it to the district court but must notify the owners by filling out a form regarding your intention to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Talk to the couple first. They might not even be aware it's an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Yep simple letter through the door stated '' the neighbours '' when theyre in work with your requests. Failing that to work my next letter would be a lot more stern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Grid. wrote: »
    Had a similar issue here, you can complain to the District Court by picking up a Noise Abatement Order from your local Garda station.;)

You can download that form too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

My neigbhours dog barks for a sold 5 minutes each morning when the owner leaves. Obviously he doesn't know about it and it's only a few minutes so no big deal.

I'm surrounded by neighbours and dogs and although one of the dogs appears to have ADHD they are good because they bark when anyone they don't know is near our houses.

Summer is a b*tch because your windows are open but other times of the year I can't really hear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭daisyscience

I agree with putting a letter through the door from the neighbours also. Be nice about it but dont mince on how it is disturbing you and probably shift workers in the neighbourhood aswell. I have 2 dogs myself and would be mortified if it turned out that they barked the whole time I was away. We set up a doggie camera to watch ours while we were out though to be sure and we make sure they are tired. The dogs probably need a longer walk in the morning before the owners go to work, or they could go to a dog minder during the day, or a dog walker could take them out too. I feel sad for dogs that are left alone all day like this. They're bored! Collies are really smart and need to be mentally as well as physically challenged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Berty wrote: »
    one of the dogs appears to have ADHD

I've heard it all now :confused:

Advertisement