Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU @ at 100%, the 4GB memory is @ 50%

Options
  • 13-08-2017 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

Hi there, i need advice on my brother's laptop as the CPU's currently at 100%, the 4GB memory is @ 50%

The keys were unresponsive, so i added my mouse to it & seemed to work around it,
    I opened up Task Manager & it showed me the percentages, but to be honest, a lot of it says System & i wouldn't know which one to end the process

He's using a wireless dongle & using Chrome, which it is showing that Chrome is no longer supported on XP & Vista, no doubt changing to another browser will fix that problem.

I seen on the taskbar, that AVG & WIN updates have failed, so i set about updating AVG & has on the front saying, "If i restart it, the problem will be fixed"
    But that same thing was there, when i did restart it, so i set about starting the scan, but is at a snail's pace:(

He had it mentioned to him, it could be all the start up processes & see which one is stalling it?
    I remember CCCleaner had a similar application on it, that you could tick off which one you didn't really need on Start-up?

Thanks for any advice received.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

What is the OS and make/model of the laptop?

I'm going to be "that person" and say that if it's running XP, I'd recommend do so at your own risk and suggest chucking Linux on it.

My suggestions are to get rid of AVG and install another av on it.
    Ccleaner will help stop startup programs and generally speed it up.

4GB isn't a lot of RAM nowadays and chrome will eat that up. Switching to another browser might help (I'm not sure if Firefox is still supported on older machines).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

hmm.

the ram isn't the issue here, as it only 50% utilised. 4gb isn't great but it doesn't make such difference in this case.

its the processes that are taking the cpu time we need to focus on.

1st up, you have rebooted at least once, before posting here? that's absolutely the 1st thing to do. second for me would be to update the antivirus, and run a full scan - however long it takes.

after that- OP can you look at the task manager under processes and sort by cpu. see which process or processes are taking 100% of the cpu available resources. post the name of the process.

in your reply can you confirm you have rebooted, that antivirus is up to date and the full system scan was clean?

Advertisement