Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuse Board position

Options
  • 13-08-2017 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Could someone tell me if there is regulation where Fuse board must be positioned. Im doing a self build and want put Fuse board, alarm, cctv, TV cables etc in one room like central hub for everything making it easier to distribute around house and for chopping and changing in future.

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭iioklo

Q: Why do the Wiring Rules place so much importance on the location of the Distribution Board?
    A: The Distribution Board is an extremely important part of an electrical installation. It is the safety control of the electrical installation. It provides two essential functions:

(1) - The overload, short circuit and earth fault protection.
    (2) - the isolating function of the installation.

Obviously to provide these functions it must be protected against abuse either mechanical or environmental. It must be readily accessible at all times and it must properly ventilated. Distribution Boards, dissipate heat and have been known to overheat and this must be considered in their installation and location.

Fuse Board are usually located inside the back door of newly built houses. I dont know if the reg's specify this, I've highlighted a line above which states the board must be readily accessible at all times. I think this is in the event of a house fire that the fire service can easily cut power to the house before they start spraying water over everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,100 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

iioklo wrote:
    Fuse Board are usually located inside the back door of newly built houses. I dont know if the reg's specify this, I've highlighted a line above which states the board must be readily accessible at all times. I think this is in the event of a house fire that the fire service can easily cut power to the house before they start spraying water over everything.

Any homes I'd be in would be 8 years or older. I haven't come across any at the back door in Dublin.
    I wonder have I just not noticed or is it a builder by builder type of thing. Some at the front & some at the back door.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

crf450 wrote:
    Could someone tell me if there is regulation where Fuse board must be positioned. Im doing a self build and want put Fuse board, alarm, cctv, TV cables etc in one room like central hub for everything making it easier to distribute around house and for chopping and changing in future.

The rules give specific heights for boards and look for isolation near the outside walls to prevent fireman from having to go deep into a house to isolate the electricity. I think this is probably not an issue now with an mcb being fitted on the supply cable in all meter cabinets now so as long as your fuse board is easily accessible, well vented and in a room not a press I don't see any issue with your plan.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

crf450 wrote: »
    Im doing a self build and want put Fuse board, alarm, cctv, TV cables etc in one room like central hub for everything making it easier to distribute around house and for chopping and changing in future.

This is a good idea, I have done this many times. Once you adhere to the points made by the above posters and apply common sense this location will be permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭crf450

iioklo wrote: »

Cheers for info iioklo, apologies for late reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭crf450

Hey all I have attached pic of where Id like mount flush fuse board. would anyone be able tell me if it might be permitted to mount it there of foresee any problems in doing so ?

TIA,

Advertisement