Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The no speculating rule on the Trevor Deely thread

Options
  • 13-08-2017 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this belongs here or in feedback as they both seem to be the same at the moment. The mods in the Trevor Deely thread are getting annoyed at people speculating about the disappearance of Trevor Deely. I find this a little odd as this is one of the biggest mysteries in the last two decades. How are people not supposed to speculate? What's the point of the thread at this stage? Why is speculating such an issue in a case that very few facts are known?

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I can't speak for the moderators but I would guess that it's perhaps because they are conscious that the Deely family may read the thread and all of the suggestions/speculations in it. However to be sure, you should PM one of the mods to ask, there may be another reason behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

As the mod who done it I can confirm what Niamh said above. Ireland is a small place and their is a good chance that someone who is related to or knows someone related to Trevor is very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

"We don't want to be sued" is at least understandable.

Surely the reason "somebody might get upset" is not a good enough reason to halt discussion? On a discussion forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

And why should that be an issue for Boards? It's been 17 years with almost no leads. I'm sure they've gone over every scenario possible. What's the point in a thread about an unsolved disappearance where speculating is not allowed? The thread is full of people speculating as it is. I get that there would be an issue with naming suspects but I can't see why speculating about the possible circumstances of his disappearance should be an issue.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

And why should that be an issue for Boards? It's been 17 years with almost no leads. I'm sure they've gone over every scenario possible. What's the point in a thread about an unsolved disappearance where speculating is not allowed? The thread is full of people speculating as it is. I get that there would be an issue with naming suspects but I can't see why speculating about the possible circumstances of his disappearance should be an issue.

There's been an update in the thread regarding speculation this afternoon: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104382993#post104382993

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Thanks that clarifies things

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement