Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary teachers returning from U.K.

Options
  • 13-08-2017 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have been teaching in the UK for the last seven years. I am now in a middle management position in a school in the West Midlands.My partner is a Head of Languages. However, with recent concerns about my family back in Ireland and the ugliness around Brexit I'm drawn to think about home more and any opportunities.
    I know there's not many jobs...especially for someone qualified to teach English. The second subject scenario is not a concern in England. However, if I felt my partner and I could reasonably expect to get teaching jobs in Ireland I would be keen to investigate- even if it meant slight realising and a pay cut (?)

Any thoughts/insight/advice especially from anybody who has been in a similar position?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

I think its worth investigating but I think you are jumping gun on Brexit. Its very unlikely Irish citzens will be denied residence in the UK. Realistically ,residence will be granted to all EU citizens in the UK who have been there awhile bu on top of that assurance you got to remember there has been free movement between the UK and Ireland always. Even post 1922
    Teaching is very different here. We are just starting down the paper trail that has made your lives in teaching such a 'pleasure'. We have no heads of department in the way you have. Middle management such as it is has been decimated.

It depends on where you want to settle? There is a crisis in housing. I think your best bet is to get into a school thats expanding and needs a resource teacher or English teacher.
    If you can hack teaching in the UK you can hack it here no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

I think its worth investigating but I think you are jumping gun on Brexit. Its very unlikely Irish citzens will be denied residence in the UK. Realistically ,residence will be granted to all EU citizens in the UK who have been there awhile bu on top of that assurance you got to remember there has been free movement between the UK and Ireland always. Even post 1922
    Teaching is very different here. We are just starting down the paper trail that has made your lives in teaching such a 'pleasure'. We have no heads of department in the way you have. Middle management such as it is has been decimated.

It depends on where you want to settle? There is a crisis in housing. I think your best bet is to get into a school thats expanding and needs a resource teacher or English teacher.
    If you can hack teaching in the UK you can hack it here no problem

Teaching here is a far cry from what it is in England. You have a large degree of professional autonomy and the paperwork is far from what it is in the UK.

Most of the people who decry the English system have never worked in it. They do a lot of crazy stuff over there certainly but its not all bad.

Hopefully we will have some restoration in posts of responsibility here shortly. Also we had a lot of trouble recruiting a teacher of English this year for 22hours post. We will have another next year due to a retirement too that I'm not looking forward to filling.

The worst thing you could do is nothing. Look up edcationposts.ie, ring schools, be upfront and ask outright and you'll get the lie if the land. It would be hard to get herself a job in the same school or area, but depending on subjects you could hit the jackpot.

As for pay, your service in UK will count so you won't be at the bottom of the scale.

You're probably better doing your own research on it, they can be moany enough here, :)

Advertisement