Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card never used in ATM but got skimmed

• 13-08-2017 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Someone just tried to use my credit card (not NFC enabled) to withdraw money from an ATM in the US, but the transaction was blocked and I received an SMS notification thanks to Verify by Visa from AIB.

My question is the following: I have never used my CC in an ATM, only in shops in Dublin, therefore I have no idea how they managed to skim my card. Any idea how they managed to skim my card?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Amouar wrote: »
    Hi,

Someone just tried to use my credit card (not NFC enabled) to withdraw money from an ATM in the US, but the transaction was blocked and I received an SMS notification thanks to Verify by Visa from AIB.

My question is the following: I have never used my CC in an ATM, only in shops in Dublin, therefore I have no idea how they managed to skim my card. Any idea how they managed to skim my card?

Skimmers have been seen in "normal" retail outlets as well, a few years back a supermarket in Galway was the victim when bogus service techs "updated" some of the card readers attached to the Tills in the store.

Self Service Petrol pumps just as risky perhaps as an ATM.

There is also the rogue sales assistant with a card reader, whom might swipe your card twice, once for the shop and once for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Amouar

Skimmers have been seen in retailers, a few years back a supermarket in Galway was the victim when bogus service techs "updated" all the card readers attached to the Tills in the store.

Self Service Petrol pumps just as risky perhaps as an ATM.

I never used it in petrol pumps neither. I'm surprised that they were able to get the PIN aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

OP....It could also be a 'scareware scam'.

I posted to the BOI subforum here on boards and they did confirm that a website I was sent was fake. About a week and a half ago, I received a text (those ****ers were able to emulate the real BOI number when typed in Google) saying that my account was locked and I needed to click on a site to unblock it.

I thought it had been locked so I first went on my computer instead of clicking on the link. It was fine so I got quite suspicious. Visiting the fake but extremely convincing site on my phone revealed that it was indeed a scam. Had I not know about those scareware scams a few years ago when I was a kid, I would have almost certainly fallen for it.

Not saying that your money wasn't stolen but...proceed with caution. A lot of people are scammed by this type of effective social engineering.

jeanjolie wrote: »
    OP....It could also be a 'scareware scam'.

I posted to the BOI subforum here on boards and they did confirm it was a fake. About a week and a half ago, I received a text (those ****ers were able to emulate the real BOI number when typed in Google) saying that my account was locked and I needed to click on a site to unblock it.

I thought it had been locked so I first went on my computer instead of clicking on the link. It was fine so I got quite suspicious. Visiting the fake but extremely convincing site on my phone revealed that it was indeed a scam. Had I not know about those scareware scams a few years ago when I was a kid, I would have almost certainly fallen for it.

Not saying that your money wasn't stolen but...proceed with caution. A lot of people are scammed by this type of effective social engineering.

There were no links sent. The SMS from AIB asked to send Y or N to either confirm or deny the transaction. I also called them and they confirmed that someone used a skimmed card and the correct pin and tried to withdraw 200$ from an ATM in NY.

There were no links sent. The SMS from AIB asked to send Y or N to either confirm the transaction. I also called them and they confirmed that someone used a skimmed card and the correct pin and tried to withdraw 200$ from an ATM in NY.

Interesting..wonder where they stole your info. Have you ever gone to shops that seem even the slightest bit of 'sketchy'?

• Advertisement

jeanjolie wrote: »
    Interesting..wonder where they stole your info. Have you ever gone to shops that seem even the slightest bit of 'sketchy'?
    Not at all. I'm also really curious to know where this happened , as I only use my CC in shops and retails in Dublin city center, no where else.

I never used it in petrol pumps neither. I'm surprised that they were able to get the PIN aswell.

Some one shoulder surfed you when you are in Dunnes/Tesco/Local Symbol Store perhaps.

There is also in interesting little gadget one can fit on a Chip&Pin card, it basically short circuits the chips response to the ATM, and always confirms the pin is correct.

Card fraud is a multi-billion pound/dollar/euro "industry".

Some one shoulder surfed you when you are in Dunnes/Tesco/Local Symbol Store perhaps.

There is also in interesting little gadget one can fit on a Chip&Pin card, it basically short circuits the chips response to the ATM, and always confirms the pin is correct.

At least he's not in the US where SS number is perhaps more devastating to have stolen (from what I hear).

Used to live there but heard of people who's lives were ruined because their info was stolen.

I guess I will be only using my revolut card from now on unless I really need a credit card for something (car hire, hotel etc)

I guess I will be only using my revolut card from now on unless I really need a credit card for something (car hire, hotel etc)

No card is immune to fraud.

• Advertisement

Yes, but I only load revolut right before buying something and therefore even if it's gets skimmed, there will be nothing on the card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

While quite true you can do great damage limitation with N26 and the other smart banks.

With one tap I can disable all out of Ireland transactions and with another enable it again. That wipes out 99% of scimmers as they usually sell the number to other countries.

Advertisement