Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

70.3 six weeks before IM - train or taper ?

Options
  • 13-08-2017 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

I'm doing Dublin next Sunday 6 weeks before IM Barcelona. Not sure how to train this coming week?

Was thinking get a long swim and run in by Thursday and have an easy session Friday and rest sat?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I would not have sheduled a HIM 6 weeks out, you essentially lose 2 weeks, week taper and week recovery. I would train through and not taper for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Steroo wrote: »
    I'm doing Dublin next Sunday 6 weeks before IM Barcelona. Not sure how to train this coming week?

Was thinking get a long swim and run in by Thursday and have an easy session Friday and rest sat?

Depends, which race is more important? If Barcelona then a 5-6 hour IM paced bike Saturday and the rest of the week normal im training. Swap your long run for the half though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Barcelona 100% more important so thanks for the advice lads. Full steam ahead

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I trained through Tyrone which was 8 weeks out. Assume you'd likely have a recovery week scheduled for the week after Dublin IM anyway (6 weeks out)? Best time to race is just before a recovery week, if you're going to race during IM or marathon training I'd try and schedule it for for weekend before a recovery week kicks off so you're not losing that training week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

I'm in the very same boat as the OP, just have to decide whether I go easy in Dublin and have a sh1te result in Barca, or go balls out in Dublin and have a really sh1te result in Barca.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

out of interest how do you think you can get a serious answer with the info you give ?
    if you want something a bit more substantioal you also have to think a bit more what info to provide.

overall a 70.3 race can be something great and something bad depending how you do it and overall if its not an A race i would not taper too much and would think how i approach the race so you dont need to uch recovery time or you have planned an easy week after the race ...

peter kern wrote: »
    out of interest how do you think you can get a serious answer with the info you give ?
    if you want something a bit more substantioal you also have to think a bit more what info to provide.

overall a 70.3 race can be something great and something bad depending how you do it and overall if its not an A race i would not taper too much and would think how i approach the race so you dont need to uch recovery time or you have planned an easy week after the race ...

Hi Peter, I'm just asking the general approach as it's the first time I've been in this situation. I'm hoping for a PB in Dublin (I got a 5:57 in 2015), but also hoping not to affect my performance in Barcelona... can I do both? I was hoping I'd get a good indication of my fitness in Dublin.
    In Barcelona I'm not too fussed on times, I'm in the 'happy to finish' bracket but if I can do it under 13 hours I'lll be happy.

I don't know what the plan is for the week after Dublin... I am looking for advice there also. recovery or keep up the volume with maybe a day off Monday? I had a low volume week just gone so I feel I need the volume.

EC1000 wrote: »
    I'm in the very same boat as the OP, just have to decide whether I go easy in Dublin and have a sh1te result in Barca, or go balls out in Dublin and have a really sh1te result in Barca.....

Will it upset things that much 6 weeks out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Hi Peter, I'm just asking the general approach as it's the first time I've been in this situation. I'm hoping for a PB in Dublin (I got a 5:57 in 2015), but also hoping not to affect my performance in Barcelona... can I do both? I was hoping I'd get a good indication of my fitness in Dublin.
    In Barcelona I'm not too fussed on times, I'm in the 'happy to finish' bracket but if I can do it under 13 hours I'lll be happy.

I don't know what the plan is for the week after Dublin... I am looking for advice there also. recovery or keep up the volume with maybe a day off Monday? I had a low volume week just gone so I feel I need the volume.

i had a very quick look at your log and i dont think you have done enough training to do a 70.3 fastish and then not need a good time of recovery so i would suggest used it as a fast training session then do 2-3 days a bit easeir and then back into training .
    maybe do 2days a bit easier before the race ( after all you paid some money for the race ) do the long run toady or tomorrow to get it out of the way ASAP.
    on the upsite for you the race can be a good nutrition practise so dont eat too much before the race and then practise nutrition intake during the race and see what works and what dosnt.

peter kern wrote: »
    i had a very quick look at your log and i dont think you have done enough training to do a 70.3 fastish and then not need a good time of recovery so i would suggest used it as a fast training session then do 2-3 days a bit easeir and then back into training .
    maybe do 2days a bit easier before the race ( after all you paid some money for the race ) do the long run toady or tomorrow to get it out of the way ASAP.
    on the upsite for you the race can be a good nutrition practise so dont eat too much before the race and then practise nutrition intake during the race and see what works and what dosnt.

Sounds like a plan - Thanks Peter

• Advertisement
Advertisement