Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instant pot

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

loyatemu wrote: »
    if the pin has dropped then the pressure is already gone.

In general you can either do a manual quick-release - i.e. as soon as the pot beeps, turn the release valve; this will produce a lot of steam

OR you can do natural release - i.e. leave it on the keep-warm setting after it beeps until the pin drops (for most dishes, if the pin hasn't dropped after 15 minutes you can then manually release, but check what the recipe says). The L00:05 is counting up how much time has passed since it beeped.

Just on doing a quick release vs natural I presume that if you let it do natural for 15 minutes then the food is still cooking for that 15 extra minutes? I made the beef stew the other night and let it go for 15 mins naturally but the spuds came out like mash. Im not sure was that over cooking or if it was because they were right down the bottom of the pot and the ladle easily mashed them when serving. Will put them on top next time out. Ive seen a few videos where they wrap the carrots/spuds in foil and place it on top of the meat to prevent it overcooking, it seems a good technique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Did Meatball/Bolognese combination in mine last night which were a big big with everyone today.

Still getting use to the fact that I can sautee the meat in the same pot that I slow/pressure cook and steam in.

Oh what a time to be alive!:D

IMG-20191216-184231.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

loyatemu wrote: »
    I did a Biryani loosely based on this recipe over the weekend, turned out really nice. The lamb which can be a bit tough when boiled in a curry or casserole, was meltingly soft from being steamed with the rice.

The main change I made to the recipe was to increase the amount of rice, as I don't know on what planet 185g of rice is enough for 6 people. I also skipped the grilled onion garnish.

My quantities were 600g diced lamb, 400g basmati rice, the spice measures in the recipe x 1.5, and I also add a couple of chopped peppers. Highly recommended, everyone loved it.

I've used a couple of the twosleevers recipes and they always work out great. I make a biryani from the 'myheartbeets' blog, she has some great indian instant pot recipes you may like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the Instant Pot UK FB group has a massive list of recipes here:
    https://www.feistytapas.com/InstantPotUKCommunityRecipeIndex.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just on doing a quick release vs natural I presume that if you let it do natural for 15 minutes then the food is still cooking for that 15 extra minutes?
    Yes, since it is fairly well insulated it takes a while to drop in temp.

You have to factor in how much you are adding too. If you put a few small potatoes in with a half cup of water it would heat up fairly quickly, so it gets to pressure quicker and the programmed timer starts then. Then as there is only a small amount of water it will cool down fast and so the pressure plug will drop fairly fast.

If you dumped 2-3L of water and a load of potatoes on the same time setting of say 10mins high pressure then they will spend a much longer time cooking overall, from pressing go until the pin drops. It is only 1kW so takes a while to heat up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭54and56

I'm one of those people who bought an Instant Pot Duo 6qt a couple of years ago but once the honeymoon period had passed I never seem to use it much any more, preferring to use an Airfryer for anything which needs to be cooked to a crisp finish and a plain old slow cooker for stews, curry's and bolognese type dishes but one of my 2020 resolutions is to make more use of the IP or else get rid rid of it all together.

To get the ball rolling I've 1kg of minced lamb which I was going to use for a bolognese type dish but open to suggestions for something alternative which can be done in the IP.

Any favourite recipies using lamb mince?

did the Xmas ham in the IP on Christmas Eve - turned out great.

500ml bottle of cider in the pot and about 250ml of water, whole cloves and bay leaves, ham sitting on the trivet.
    12 mins per 500G on high, turn off "keep warm" and then leave it it to naturally release until the pin drops.

(optional: glaze the ham and bung in a hot oven for 30 mins).

54and56 wrote: »
    I'm one of those people who bought an Instant Pot Duo 6qt a couple of years ago but once the honeymoon period had passed I never seem to use it much any more, preferring to use an Airfryer for anything which needs to be cooked to a crisp finish and a plain old slow cooker for stews, curry's and bolognese type dishes but one of my 2020 resolutions is to make more use of the IP or else get rid rid of it all together.

To get the ball rolling I've 1kg of minced lamb which I was going to use for a bolognese type dish but open to suggestions for something alternative which can be done in the IP.

Any favourite recipies using lamb mince?

For me the IP replaces the slow cooker. Recipies that used to take 8 hours in the slow cooker can be done in about an hour in the IP. Which means less planning to get a dish on by 11am so it can be eaten at 7pm.

For me the IP replaces the slow cooker.
    +1, if you were going to get rid of an appliance it would be the slow cooker, as the IP is one.

rubadub wrote: »
    +1, if you were going to get rid of an appliance it would be the slow cooker, as the IP is one.

gave away our slow cooker as soon as I got the IP (hadn't used the former in about a year).

• Advertisement

I did butter chicken in mine tonight, but think I might have kept it in too long, the chicken pieces had shrunk by roughly half when I dished it out.

Don't get me wrong the texture was perfect etc, but the big chunks I cut the chicken into reduced to almost shag all when it was lifted.

Saut chicken with garlic ginger and corriander, added spices and then sauce, cooked on high pressure for 16 mins.

Think I'll try about 5 mins next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭54and56

rubadub wrote: »

I think the reasons I kept using the slow cooker are, in order of preference:-

1. I like the fact you can see whats happening and it's very easy to lift the lid to stir and/or taste.

2. The IP is more cumbersome to use both in terms of weight/size and functionality. I know it's not exactly complex but the slow cooker is absolute simplicity. Low/High/Auto.

I'm going to give the IP another go but don't think I'll be throwing out the Slow Cooker just yet!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

54and56 wrote: »
    I think the reasons I kept using the slow cooker are, in order of preference:-

1. I like the fact you can see whats happening and it's very easy to lift the lid to stir and/or taste.

2. The IP is more cumbersome to use both in terms of weight/size and functionality. I know it's not exactly complex but the slow cooker is absolute simplicity. Low/High/Auto.

I'm going to give the IP another go but don't think I'll be throwing out the Slow Cooker just yet!!
    I got rid of my slow cooker when I bought the IP.
    I use an ikea giant glass lid on it in slow cooker mode, though as mentioned by others, I just pressure cook what I used to slow cook in less time.
    Like, bolognaise, I'm never not doing it in the IP. It's way better pressure cooked than slow cooked. You need to try it.

Have in mine just now,

Cajun pork loin
    One massive spud cut into chunks
    Can of chilli beans
    Couple of thinly sliced scallions
    Teaspoon of ancho chilli flakes.

Have it set to high pressure for twenty mins.

Hoping to produce some kind of a pork and beans stew.

I will report back.

I made Sparks' Chilli recipe from the Cooking Club in the IP last night. Worked great and fantastic to have it on the table so much quicker than slow cooking it all day. I wanted it ready for the football game at 8pm and only began it at 6.45pm but still sat down with it for kick off. Its a recipe I didnt cook that often because of the planning of slow cooking but it will be a lot more often now with the IP.

Ive to do a batch of curry base next week from Curry Addicts Indian restaurant curry recipe and it should pressure cook that in about 45 minutes rather than the usual 3 hours of simmering and checking. My favourite curry is beef rendang but unfortunately as it is a dry curry I think it would be pointless doing it in the IP as you'd have to simmer down all the liquid until the meat soaks it up anyway.

Have made veg soup and seafood chowder in it too recently. Theres no major time advantage in doing soups in it vs. in a large pot on the stove. But still handy enough to do soups in the IP. Must say Im very happy with the IP, between it and the airfryer the oven is now more or less redundant except for the odd pizza and joints.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Have in mine just now,

Cajun pork loin
    One massive spud cut into chunks
    Can of chilli beans
    Couple of thinly sliced scallions
    Teaspoon of ancho chilli flakes.

Have it set to high pressure for twenty mins.

Hoping to produce some kind of a pork and beans stew.

I will report back.
    IMG-20200103-184911.jpg

Photos don't do it justice.

Pulled pork meets a chilli style stew.

Will add that twenty minutes wasn't long enough, put it back on for another ten minutes (after a quick release of pressure) but am guessing if I allowed it to nrp it would have been grand - but this was for the spuds only, the meat would have been grand after twenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Love mine, and gifted two to ... let say family likes.

- recently I realized there is a second version - no Manual button for example...

While I am not using additional accessories for it - after having bought a couple of spare silicon rings - started being tempted to buy a backup (how mad is that); so I dare to ask ... anyone knows how long they might last ??
    - or have had experiences when it stopped working after * number of years ?

mvl wrote: »
    Love mine, and gifted two to ... let say family likes.

- recently I realized there is a second version - no Manual button for example...

While I am not using additional accessories for it - after having bought a couple of spare silicon rings - started being tempted to buy a backup (how mad is that); so I dare to ask ... anyone knows how long they might last ??
    - or have had experiences when it stopped working after * number of years ?

Id hope to get at least 4 maybe 5 years out of it. I wouldnt worry about getting a back up just for it to sit in storage, when ever yours does break down they will still be available for sale except they'll likely have more bells and whistles than before.

Just posted this in another thread

See this third party lid

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mealthy-CrispLid-220v-Electric-Pressure/dp/B07VGN5PF6

hqdefault.jpg

TRANSFORM YOUR PRESSURE COOKER INTO AN AIR FRYER: air fry, broil, and crisp directly in the stainless steel pot of your electric pressure cooker. Includes UK and EU power Cord.

Bought a steamer basket for the Instant Pot on fleabay for about a tenner delivered and gave it a run out tonight.

I put about 200ml water in the pot then the trivet and the basket with carrots and broccoli inside on top and selected the steam function. The steam setting was giving 2 minutes at pressure but I upped it to 5. It got to pressure and was all done in about 10 minutes with a quick release.

The carrots and broccoli tasted really good, it is remarkable about how much more flavoursome steaming veg is over than boiling it where Id guess a lot of flavour gets lost in the water. The steam function is another string on the bow of the IP for me, will definitely be doing all veg this way in future. Looking forward to steaming some fresh fish next and ifs thats as tasty it'll get me away from always buying frozen fish with batters on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭vidapura

Hiya,
    Confusing array of steamer baskets on ebay.. any chance you'd put up the link to the one you got? That way I know its ok.

Thanks
    Vida
    Bought a steamer basket for the Instant Pot on fleabay for about a tenner delivered and gave it a run out tonight.

I put about 200ml water in the pot then the trivet and the basket with carrots and broccoli inside on top and selected the steam function. The steam setting was giving 2 minutes at pressure but I upped it to 5. It got to pressure and was all done in about 10 minutes with a quick release.

The carrots and broccoli tasted really good, it is remarkable about how much more flavoursome steaming veg is over than boiling it where Id guess a lot of flavour gets lost in the water. The steam function is another string on the bow of the IP for me, will definitely be doing all veg this way in future. Looking forward to steaming some fresh fish next and ifs thats as tasty it'll get me away from always buying frozen fish with batters on them.

I cant find the seller but this is the one I bought, it comes with an egg rack and a divider too. Its a perfect fit for the Instant Pot. It has enough space to cook veg for two people, if you're cooking for more then you might need a deeper one which are also available on ebay and Amazon, just search Instant Pot steamer basket. Whatever you get make sure it has handles to pick it up as it gets quite hot under steam pressure.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-A-Set-Instant-Pot-Accessories-Steamer-Basket-With-Egg-Steamer-Rack-Divider/323820216422?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item4b65306066:g:E4cAAOSw-0JdguW1&enc=AQAEAAACUBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qV%2FTRdMm5CNF%2Fqr6X7S%2BRbjQ86LAx4tCNyKY7rgvoO0nw3GyKMk5n8FjfUBlT1MjGTcbV0Tv2%2FkYimmD5bUMiJ%2BCDcf%2FLME2uQ8zqQrqM7nMjHe%2FglBThh0Td9E7VHsL6sLTP99%2FJk2ExTEUjfSSxF%2F3mOORtQ9lndeW9T4aASw0j3F4DEs6P2LAsGju7iwiJT9ur5xvomBiDVCWrjwZa7P4Twzi2jYgSkrwCYKt0UsIgIp8JX6%2BT1E9g5EILkJaJT4UMTjmeZaBlLJW2DrxcR0MRbjg36v0Rb8JpJmoPHmsmzW3q3%2Bx%2B5l64Q%2B%2FodgBmXkWON7ehZtQpd6WcSMg4m9RgRUibUgJELHyY%2BntoMzcId5bvPiygaIBMIcZwqYJXHHp0nDAiAIdE0LKNOVJ%2F3GBxx4BG92nZK5ODBujYM1vGxFkdmmlvH59IQ9NtFizjTABV7SUrmQE64p6bSq0k7aaqIiJxdF9aaOGLpHzN80LrNAkXn4hFxKlN0diWv5pQXnO%2BKgyxkk7EBturfiORJsI695fJUGiIbm0nruu9RZslTo1E5B%2BPkMhlJt26t1W5TWjs05P4E0Y3lzq112xa17OQyaJsFQ%2F%2BbXsg8KZ34uZ2xalP32vAdmHjhKs2CA98e%2BHiNutD6FIqMvpNTAN3imJnxNBmbJoL7Xsk9jsUoeQ1imXfL2dqXYHdMwjduwyJi9dYI7DDR86CVW6ln5r%2Bz2dMTCOtxjXmVkSspg%2BC2bgC58dRbJ%2Bnhsf8Z64ALJMkY%3D&checksum=323820216422448d8a07039045da9ec450d64c46716d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭vidapura

Brilliant, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Honest question :

Why would you need an instant pot to steam something?
    Surely much easier to use and clean a saucepan with a steamer insert (costs a couple of euros) or steamer that sits on top of the saucepan.

For me its the ability to set it and forget it, its on a timer and it bleeps when its done so theres no need for me to keep an eye on it. It takes any guesswork or checking out of the process, when it bleeps it is done. Allows me to go sit down and watch tv while its cooking without thinking about a pot of boiling water on the stove. Safer too for those who have children.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭LJ3103

Has anyone cooked a loin of bacon in their instant pot?, I am not sure what cooking times per kg to go with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

No, but
    Instant Pot Pork Loin Roast - DadCooksDinner
    might give you a start.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

LJ3103 wrote: »
    Has anyone cooked a loin of bacon in their instant pot?, I am not sure what cooking times per kg to go with

Do you plan to pressure cook it?

Edited to say:

It's a bit of a guessing game with joints.

About 11 minutes per 500g should work well for a standard loin of bacon on the high pressure cook setting, with a cup of water or apple juice in there. This should be sliceable for you. If you want it falling apart with a fork go for 15 minutes per 500g.

Remember the bigger your joint the longer it takes to cook per 500g.

Your other options in your instant pot are to simmer it on the saute setting for 20 mins per 500g + 20 minutes extra, or slow cook it on high for 3-4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭LJ3103

Thanks mystery egg

I was thinking of doing a 1.2kg joint on the pressure setting and then taking it out and finishing it with some honey mustard in the oven

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

LJ3103 wrote: »
    Thanks mystery egg

I was thinking of doing a 1.2kg joint on the pressure setting and then taking it out and finishing it with some honey mustard in the oven

If I was you, I'd do 25 minutes on high pressure and then 20 minutes glazed in the oven, which should give you a beautiful result. It's a guessing game with a few guidelines really!

Advertisement