Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga 2017/18 Superthread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The supposed strength of Madrid was in their 'supporting cast'. Asensio, Isco, Kovacic etc. covering up the gaps, where the big names can play poorly and get by. Isco aside who really shouldn't be classed as a backup, I think those backups were vastly over-rated.

Now the same gaps aren't being covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

NIMAN wrote: »
    How quickly Madrid have gone from different class to pants.

There must be something going on behind the scenes, in-fighting etc. Didn't I read recently that Ramos slagged off Ronaldo?

On the subject of Ronaldo, watching him last night he was a pale shadow of himself 12 months ago. Looked really slow and seems to have lost his touch. Perhaps harsh to judge him on that one game, but he has had some other very quiet games I've seen this season too. Madrid really need to plan for replacing him, and soon.

If I was them, I'd be going all out for Neymar.

Ronaldos goals in the Champions League paper over his decline over the last few years .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

How quickly Madrid have gone from different class to pants.

There must be something going on behind the scenes, in-fighting etc. Didn't I read recently that Ramos slagged off Ronaldo?

On the subject of Ronaldo, watching him last night he was a pale shadow of himself 12 months ago. Looked really slow and seems to have lost his touch. Perhaps harsh to judge him on that one game, but he has had some other very quiet games I've seen this season too. Madrid really need to plan for replacing him, and soon.

If I was them, I'd be going all out for Neymar.

That wouldnt surprise me with Madrid, its a dressing room built on massive, massive egos, it would only take one incident to screw the whole thing up.

If they went after Neymar in the next 24months, PSG would be looking for probably half a billion to sell him.

I think Real will have to rely on unsettling players and hope they push for moves, its nearly impossible to turn down Barca or Real but everyone knows Real have to rebuild an ageing squad and theyre rich, they'll be taking to the cleaners by clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

After the Spanish Super cup who could of predicted this . It was meant to be the other way around. Credit to Barca . Especially Messi, Ter Stegan and Umtiti . All having great seasons.

I think people got a bit carried away with their predictions of Reals future dominance ,some people were saying Real would win the league for the next 10 years .
    I'm not sure whether they genuinely believed in Madrids quality or was it more due to a dislike of Barcelona .

Real only won the league last season by 3 points ,it went down to the last match .
    Real won alot of matches ,especially in the first half of the season with late goals ,they had a great winning streak where they were very difficult to beat .
    Zidane had instilled an unbelievable hunger for winning .

This season they are not getting those late winners that they were last season .

Barcelona's away form last season at the mid to lower table sides is what lost them the league and won it for Real.
    Barcelona threw away points against inferior sides ,they have corrected that this season.

In the Champions league Madrid were extremely forutnate to get past Bayern thanks to some preferential refereeing decisions ,something they had benefiited greatly from in La Liga as well.
    They dont seem to be getting as many decisions this season.

Real look a tired team ,their exertions over the last couple of years has drained them ,all those late winners, all the energy expended chasing wins ,they look burnt out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Their front end is shagged, Ronaldo is going to be a massive mistake for some club with more money than sense when he moves, ditto Bale. Not sure what Benzema is notionally worth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Hazard and Icardi in the summer?

I expect Hazard to go, either this summer or next.

His contract is up in 2020, so if he doesnt sign this year and Real do come knocking, Chelsea will be left with a huge dilemma, sell for an insane fee or lose him for free in 2020, where he'll be 29, turning 30 at the start of 2021.

I'd prefer Hazard to be signed onto an extension until 2022 but if iots between selling for a huge fee or lose him for free, I'd take the latter, dig in like Arsenal and let him leave.

Courtois did allude recently that its likely both would stay at Chelsea so theres hope yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Their front end is shagged, Ronaldo is going to be a massive mistake for some club with more money than sense when he moves, ditto Bale. Not sure what Benzema is notionally worth.

Ronaldos will move to the states where he will be the best player into his forties
    He is still in the top two players in the world if that was the angle you were going for.
    Bale just scored twice, i would put the blame more on the midfield than the forwards

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Hazard and Icardi in the summer?

Wont be Icardi, he said he wouldnt play there plus he was a youth player at Barca

irishman86 wrote: »
    Ronaldos will move to the states where he will be the best player into his forties
    He is still in the top two players in the world if that was the angle you were going for.
    Bale just scored twice, i would put the blame more on the midfield than the forwards

Hmmmm, I think those two goals are papering over the cracks for Bale. Not nearly at the level he was before IMO. Injuries not helping at all.

• Advertisement

Hmmmm, I think those two goals are papering over the cracks for Bale. Not nearly at the level he was before IMO. Injuries not helping at all.

Well off course, but a strange time to have a dig when he played decently and got two goals
    Give him a run in the team without injury and he will be dominant again
    For me the biggest culprits in form this season has been Ramos/Casemiro/Kroos
    Casemiro seems to have lost that what got him into the team in the first place

Kroos and Casimiro, Casemiro in particular, were two I thought have been playing well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

For me their biggest problem has been motivation. Happens to all great sides eventually. Winning back to back Champions leagues was such a massive achievement and psychological hurdle for any side to overcome that it kinda leaves a "how to we top that" attitude the year after. Their passing isn't as snappy, they're not closing down fast enough, they're basically a yard short this year and that comes down to hunger and not wanting it enough.

Whereas Barca players and staff had to hear themselves being wildly dismissed at the start of the season by media and pundits, all the talk was of Real superiority and the biggest gap between sides in some time. Their motivation writes itself.

Kroos and Casimiro, Casemiro in particular, were two I thought have been playing well!

I guess we see it very differently :pac:
    Casemiro for me has got very sloppy on the ball and Kroos doesnt have the same control as last year
    I think they have gotten comfortable with the fact Zidane isnt going to drop them
    In reality Ceballos & Isco should be getting a lot more game time
    I've been a massive defender of Benzema but hes been awful this season (i think he needs a move) and should be dropped for Isco if Zidane feels Bale has to play

Its been mentioned for sometime now but I reckon Ronaldo isnt far off becoming an out and out number 9, as it stands, hes basically playing up there with Benzema anyway but if Real were to tweak the system by dropping Benzema and deploying Ronaldo own his own in a #9 role, he'd still score 30-40 goals a year.

I cant remember how it was, Graham Hunter or Sid Lowe, but they mentioned that the time is approaching where Real may consider that offering Ronaldo contract extensions and raises are not economically viable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

dfx- wrote: »
    The supposed strength of Madrid was in their 'supporting cast'. Asensio, Isco, Kovacic etc. covering up the gaps, where the big names can play poorly and get by. Isco aside who really shouldn't be classed as a backup, I think those backups were vastly over-rated.

Now the same gaps aren't being covered.

Why was'nt he played in the Classico.

Probably game of the day in Europe coming up here. Bit of pressure on Zizu now. I expect a big performance today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Considering Barca have their annual drop points at Sociadad coming up Real have to win.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Considering Barca have their annual drop points at Sociadad coming up Real have to win.

Remember the days of Nihat and Kovačević

Dangerous position time for Ronaldo to put it a mile over the bar :pac:

• Advertisement

How does the ref miss that penalty on Ronaldo :confused:

That could be Zidane done
    Bad miss from the lines man aswell for the offside on the goal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Madrid really are dreadful, it's amazing.

I love seeing Madrid lose

Looks very silly getting rid of Pepe now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

It would be gas if they dropped out of the top 4. The hysteria.

Couldn't get a good stream for it. Were the white hanky's out?

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Couldn't get a good stream for it. Were the white hanky's out?

Didnt notice them tbh
    Its funny they idolise Zidane so i presume they will wait till PSG game for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Think that could be the nail in the coffin for Zidane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I love seeing Madrid lose

It's fantastic, in the papers here in Spain they have like 13 pages dedicated to them. Their fans are also not very nice, remember watching betis in a bar and insults were disgusting. Also on television they have about 30 minutes everyday dedicated to madrid on the sports news. Its a great feeling when they lose. I am loving this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Has there ever been a team that has gone from 'all conquering' to absolute muck in such a short space of time?

Last year they were saying how this Madrid team would dominate for years to come. Guys like Asensio was having buy out clauses of 500mill put on him, everyone was raving.......now 6 months later they are awful to watch.

As usual with Madrid, there has to be issues behind the scenes. The cliques must be in full flow. Said it already, PSG are going to take them to the cleaners if they play like this in both the CL legs.

I think its time to shift a load of players there. Far too many there too long.

Ronaldo, Ramos, Marcelo, Benzema, Bale would all be gone asap if I was in charge.

They need to make a statement and buy Kane for a world record fee.

Not sure I'd pay a WR fee for Kane. You mean more than 225 million that Neymar went for? That would be madness imho.

But I think he'd be a great fit at Madrid. As long as they build the team around him. Ronnie would have to go. He's gone downhill very quickly this season, but as long as he's there the team would have to play to him. It need a clean break from him and his influence.

He's younger and better than Neymar so by today's crazy markets standard I think he's worth more.

Just reading Roanldo's stats there, and from the last 94 shots at goal, he has scored 4 times.

I don't like stats but that is shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Just reading Roanldo's stats there, and from the last 94 shots at goal, he has scored 4 times.

I don't like stats but that is shocking.

It's not falling for him at all. You can't carry him and Benzema in your XI. Bale has looked quite good, when he's actually fit though.

The team just don't seem to have the desire to push themselves this season. Their best performances have been in the CL, maybe it's the glamour of the competition that appeals to so many of them. Either way that front 3 needs shaking up in the summr, trying to take Kane and Poch from Spurs would be a shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

How many chances did levante need against vigo to score a goal. They could be there until 12 o clock tonight and wouldn't score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Was really impressed with how Valencia moved the ball around last night, exciting team to watch with many skilful players, both goals they scored were the luckiest you'll see all season. Deportivo missed a chance in the 6 yard box in injury time to make it a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Some dive from Rakitic resulting in Sociadad's second goal being disallowed.

Just sticking it on now

• Advertisement

2-0 Sociedad

Fortunate but they deserve it after Rakitic earlier!

Nice ball over the top. Barca in trouble

2-1
    Paulinho pulls one back.

Nice ball over the top. Barca in trouble

Back in it now.

Sociedad's forwards having been timing their runs very well tonight.

Outstanding from Suarez

Nice...

Esse85 wrote: »
    Outstanding from Suarez

Miss hit pass imo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/fcb_OneTouch/status/952645783102267392

Reminds me of a goal Eto'o got against Panathinaikos a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Another good goal by Suarez, he looks like he could be rediscovering his form after a dreadful 2017.

• Advertisement
Advertisement