Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga 2017/18 Superthread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

irishman86 wrote: »
    :confused: Mascherano has long been considered one of the top dm in the world and a very good defender

He was forced into being a centre back, he definitely was not thought of as "a very good defender" beforehand as far as I remember. He grew in to the position and became a very decent defender.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    He was forced into being a centre back, he definitely was not thought of as "a very good defender" beforehand as far as I remember. He grew in to the position and became a very decent defender.

Who the hell thought that :confused:
    He possibly had the best timing in football for a tackle since Nesta/Maldini
    He wasnt forced, he played there as it helped the team
    He has always been a brilliant defender, he was the leader of the Argentine defence for about 15 years.
    His job in the team has been defending his whole career. He played cb for Barca in recent years but he has always been a defender

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

:confused: Mascherano has long been considered one of the top dm in the world and a very good defender

Lots of people questioned the signing at the time and in the following years, usually phrased like "He's not a CB, he's a CDM who plays CB"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

He has always been a brilliant defender, he was the leader of the Argentine defence for about 15 years.
    His job in the team has been defending his whole career. He played cb for Barca in recent years but he has always been a defender
    No it's true, he was a midfielder when he joined W Ham. None other than Fergie described him as 'the new Keane'... https://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/aug/31/newsstory.westhamunited

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Valencia, Sevilla, Leganes and Espanyol for the cup semis? We can dream!

Lots of people questioned the signing at the time and in the following years, usually phrased like "He's not a CB, he's a CDM who plays CB"
    No it's true, he was a midfielder when he joined W Ham. None other than Fergie described him as 'the new Keane'... https://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/aug/31/newsstory.westhamunited

Thats what i just said, hes a dm "Defensive Midfielder"
    A midfielder that DEFENDS, so one of the best defenders in football
    You do realise its not just cbs and fbs that defend in football

https://www.transfermarkt.com/javier-mascherano/nationalmannschaft/spieler/19981

How accurate those stats are, I don't know but of all the listings for his position with Argentina there isn't a single one for CB until June '17.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/javier-mascherano/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/19981/saison//verein/0/liga/0/wettbewerb//trainer_id/0/pos/3

From that link he didn't play a single game as a CB before Barca...

https://www.transfermarkt.com/javier-mascherano/nationalmannschaft/spieler/19981

How accurate those stats are, I don't know but of all the listings for his position with Argentina there isn't a single one for CB until June '17.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/javier-mascherano/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/19981/saison//verein/0/liga/0/wettbewerb//trainer_id/0/pos/3

From that link he didn't play a single game as a CB before Barca...

Who said anything about cb, i didnt as i pointed out all ready
    I said he was one of the best defenders in football
    Ye were the ones talking about cb which i then replied to

Then why in the name of jaysus are you arguing a point that wasn't made. No one said he didn't defend, but he wasn't a defender playing as a CB before Barca and wasn't thought of as a decent defender (CB) until he made a name for himself at Barca.

You'd argue the colour of grass if you had the chance. A more argumentative poster I've never come across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

On another note, Real down 1-0 at home to Leganes in 2nd leg of cope del Rey. Level on aggregate now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

I do realise that, however what you're failing to grasp is that the signing didn't wasn't warmly received by the wider football public, not because Mascherano can't defend or doesn't have the IQ for it, but because he wasn't a traditional Centre Back. I'm just saying how I'm glad upon reflecting on his career at Barca that he was able to silence the critics who remarked that he wasn't a fitting replacement for Puyol at CB, namely because he wasn't a defender, he was a midfielder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

You probably think Kane is a great defender because he comes back to clear a few corners :rolleyes::rolleyes: I give up.

Then why in the name of jaysus are you arguing a point that wasn't made. No one said he didn't defend, but he wasn't a defender playing as a CB before Barca and wasn't thought of as a decent defender (CB) until he made a name for himself at Barca.

You'd argue the colour of grass if you had the chance. A more argumentative poster I've never come across.

Because he is a defender, like i said not just cbs and fbs defend
    In fact id say he defends alot more than most cbs
    Im not arguing anything buddy, im merely pointing out that nobody was shocked he was good at defending

I do realise that, however what you're failing to grasp is that the signing didn't wasn't warmly received by the wider football public, not because Mascherano can't defend or doesn't have the IQ for it, but because he wasn't a traditional Centre Back. I'm just saying how I'm glad upon reflecting on his career at Barca that he was able to silence the critics who remarked that he wasn't a fitting replacement for Puyol at CB, namely because he wasn't a defender, he was a midfielder.

He wasnt signed as a cb though, i'm happy to, one of the modern greats
    Appreciated by most fans
    I never heard him signed as a Puyol replacement, perhaps im wrong

You probably think Kane is a great defender because he comes back to clear a few corners :rolleyes::rolleyes: I give up.

Because thats exactly the same as one of the best dm's of the modern era

On another note, Real down 1-0 at home to Leganes in 2nd leg of cope del Rey. Level on aggregate now

2-1 ahead now, not sure if away goals count

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

2-1 ahead now, not sure if away goals count

Just looking at how annoyed the Madrid players are leaving the pitch, I'd say away goals count!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Because he is a defender, like i said not just cbs and fbs defend
    In fact id say he defends alot more than most cbs
    Im not arguing anything buddy, im merely pointing out that nobody was shocked he was good at defending
    he wasn't a defender. He was a midfielder. Playing a defensive midfield role and playing centre-half are very different. What's so hard to grasp about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Real Madrid are out of the Copa Del Rey

• Advertisement

Absolutely nuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

For Madrid's sake zizu has to be gone tomorrow. Get in a coach who will have them competitive in the UCL.

Turtwig wrote: »
    For Madrid's sake zizu has to be gone tomorrow. Get in a coach who will have them competitive in the UCL.

From all conquering coach to tube in 6 months.

Footballs a funny old game.

NIMAN wrote: »
    From all conquering coach to tube in 6 months.

Footballs a funny old game.

A simple game that's complicated by idiots. :)

Either that or go big this transfer market, even still they should have won tonight. Cristiano and Bale not playing tonight was a terrible call

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

in the pantheon of Madrid exits in the Copa del Rey in the 21st century, it isn't the worst. That still must be losing 4-0 at Alcorcon under Pellegrini iirc.

But that's one win at home in seven games I think...

• Advertisement

Surely it has to be fielding a suspended player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Luis Suarez makes it 1-0 Barcelona with a header against Espanyol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Messi scores and makes it 2-0 Barcelona with 26 mins gone in the match

I feel sorry for defenders when Messi runs with the ball. He doesnt do anything difficult but manages to make people look very stupid with a drop of the shoulder

Delighted to see Paulinho carded for that nonsense
    Pathetic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I feel sorry for defenders when Messi runs with the ball. He doesnt do anything difficult but manages to make people look very stupid with a drop of the shoulder

Always a good time to post this one again

inforfun wrote: »
    Always a good time to post this one again

Exactly nothing difficult, he just makes everything easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Big game on at the minute. Valencia vs Real Madrid, 3rd vs 4th. Could be Zidane's last game should Real lose.

Stupid penalty given away by Montoya of Valencia. 1-0 down and they'd been the better side so far.

sligeach wrote: »
    Stupid penalty given away by Montoya of Valencia.

Deja vu

Another penalty to Real. 2-0. What a ******** joke! Montoya again responsible for giving it away. Don't think it was a penalty.

Deja vu

What was he at, he just jumped into him
    terrible defending

sligeach wrote: »
    Another penalty to Real. 2-0. What a ******** joke! Montoya again responsible for giving it away. Don't think it was a penalty.

It was defo a penalty, terrible defending

What was he at, he just jumped into him
    terrible defending

Liverpool almost signed him at one stage. Would have been a perfect fit.

Valencia must be disgusted. Another great chance missed. Not as bad as the one Kondogbia missed earlier. Valencia don't deserve to be losing.

• Advertisement

Deserved goal for Valencia

Valencia back in it. 2-1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Better team so far 2nd half. Came see them completing the comeback.

Varane not progressing or imoroving as a centre back. He's not the future of Madrid.

Valencia really piling on the pressure. They deserve a draw at least. Navas just about made that save with his feet.

Where you all watching this?

Bein

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Bein

Which number?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Which number?

I dunno, says bein sports HD, I've got a subscription package and it's the only English commentary channel showing it.

• Advertisement

Game set and match

Valencia looked tired.

Advertisement