Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga 2017/18 Superthread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

dfx- wrote: »
    have we not learned already this season not to judge Real on one or two games...

I'm not talking about Real though
    Real's midfield for me has been the problem not Ronaldo
    Some of Kroos,Modric and Casemiros play has been horrendous
    Casemiro has imo started to think he's a superstar and forgotten it was his graft that got him into the team
    And lets not talk about Ramos and Varane
    I also said 7 in his last 4 even talking just about Ronaldo

Marcelo off
    Looks like hes tweaked his hamstring

How do players like Nacho play for Real Madrid
    They are so far below the standard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Joaquin is still going. I remember him in 2002 World Cup.

10 in 6 now for Ronaldo
    Came out and killed Betis in the second half

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

irishman86 wrote: »
    10 in 6 now for Ronaldo
    my granny scored twice against them last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

10 in 6 now for Ronaldo

What's your obsession with Ronaldo's goal count? If he catches Messi, therefore he's better? Teenage fanboyism at it's best. Messi doesn't even give a fúck how many goals he's scored, Ronaldo and his fanboys are desperate for goal stats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

He's now 1 goal behind Messi for goals in all comps this season. And whats that? Messi has played 7 more games.

And yet there's plenty of corners of this soccer forum that say he's deteriorating.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    He's now 1 goal behind Messi for goals in all comps this season. And whats that? Messi has played 7 more games.

And yet there's plenty of corners of this soccer forum that say he's deteriorating.

So what if he's one goal behind Messi? Whats the point exactly? You think Messi's greatness is measured by how many goals he scores? Ronaldo is deteriorating. He's regularly going through large periods of the season being lethargic, and every so often scores a few when Madrid drub a team to plump up his numbers which papers over the cracks. Are you actually suggesting that over a season Ronaldo is still the player he was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

What's your obsession with Ronaldo's goal count? If he catches Messi, therefore he's better? Teenage fanboyism at it's best. Messi doesn't even give a fúck how many goals he's scored, Ronaldo and his fanboys are desperate for goal stats.

You of all people are criticising someone for their 'obsession' with Ronaldo?

Amazing.

Corholio wrote: »
    Shocked you of all people would be criticising someone for their 'obsession' with Ronaldo.

I just call it how it is.

So what if he's one goal behind Messi? Whats the point exactly? You think Messi's greatness is measured by how many goals he scores? Ronaldo is deteriorating. He's regularly going through large periods of the season being lethargic, and every so often scores a few when Madrid drub a team to plump up his numbers which papers over the cracks. Are you actually suggesting that over a season Ronaldo is still the player he was?

I've already given my hot take on Ronaldo this year. i think he purposely eased his way in so he's peaking for the world cup, the one thing left he hasn't won. He's been unplayable of late though.

I've always thought Messi is slightly better but there's been far too much rubbish talked in this forum this season about Ron, almost like people relished in his slow start, but he's makin all those look foolish now.

I've already given my hot take on Ronaldo this year. i think he purposely eased his way in so he's peaking for the world cup, the one thing left he hasn't won. He's been unplayable of late though.

I've always thought Messi is slightly better but there's been far too much rubbish talked in this forum this season about Ron, almost like people relished in his slow start, but he's makin all those look foolish now.

Ye making them look real foolish! Unplayable? He was invisible tonight for most of the match (as he is in a growing number of games), getting a goal against a cannon fodder defense in match Madrid would have won anyway

I'm merely admiring a great player
    Why so angry dude
    Dont worry you will see how much a fanboy i am when Zlatan comes back

Oh deary me friend. Can people not enjoy a player. Whats with the obsession in comparing him to Messi
    Cant we enjoy the two players, i know i do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Just back from the game and I'm sickened. I thought we were better for larger periods of that and the ref rightly screwed us over. Casemiro and Ramos should have seen red, i mean they were pretty much assaulting any betis player that touched the ball. We also had a shout for a penalty that could have changed the game at the time. The sheer time wasting from Madrid was laughable and should have been finished. Also lorén did not deserve that yellow card. I now realise how great an achievement the recent winning of la liga by Atlético was as Madrid going on tonight evidence get everything on a silver platter. I was actually disappointed that marcelo went off as I think he's fantastic. Asensio was great in the middle for them. We should have made a changed around the 60th minute mark as I saw our midfield was getting a bit leggy. That Junior needs to learn when to push on and I think durmisi would have been a better option tonight. Amat is a disaster waiting to happen and it happened again tonight for ronaldos goal, why wasnt javi garcía playing? Anyways I've never experienced an atmosphere like tonight before. I was talking to a couple from sheffield on the bus home(wednesday fans) and they were blown away. I'll try and upload a vídeo on here in the next few days of the atmosphere. I'm proud of Betis and i think this project of playing good stuff will bring good times. Vamos mi betis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I'm probably in the minority here but I don't think Ronaldo has had a good game all season yet.

Hell his penalty against PSG was almost a double touch. Years ago that 1v1 versus aeurola after Marcelo amazing pass would have been tucked away. It was a good save but you don't expect ronnie to faceplant the keeper in those situations

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

10 in 6 now for Ronaldo

So one guy praised Ronaldo for scoring 10 goals in 6 games, that some how riled you up and brought Messi into discussion and you talk about obsession and fanboyism?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

To be fair, you're probably in the vast minority if you think he isn't deteriorating. It's not just corners of this soccer forum.

He's 33, it's natural that he's not as good as he once was.

elefant wrote: »
    To be fair, you're probably in the vast minority if you think he isn't deteriorating. It's not just corners of this soccer forum.

He's 33, it's natural that he's not as good as he once was.

What do we measure these things by though? He's peaking last couple of years in terms of personal and team success. Since turning 30 he's won both player of the year awards, two CL's breaking knockout stages goal records in that competition, a league and a European Cup for his country. He's always been successful but it's definitely his winning most period. His style may not be as awesome on the eye any longer but he's altered his game to be more effective when it matters and now produces goals in nearly every big match he plays spearheading his club and country to trophies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

What do we measure these things by though? He's peaking last couple of years in terms of personal and team success. Since turning 30 he's won both player of the year awards, two CL's breaking knockout stages goal records in that competition, a league and a European Cup for his country. He's always been successful but it's definitely his winning most period. His style may not be as awesome on the eye any longer but he's altered his game to be more effective when it matters and now produces goals in nearly every big match he plays spearheading his club and country to trophies.

He was nearly unstoppable in Spain with his goalscoring up until this season though. This season players of the calibre of Zaza, Stuani and Portu have similar or better scoring returns. Surely by any measure that's a backwards step for a player like CR.

His performances in the CL last season were brilliant. Very little about him has been as brilliant this season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I can't really remember the last time he beat a man one-on-one, his pace has slowed down considerably. To be fair, I think his poor return in the League reflects a lack of focus from the team in general, and he is still prolific in the bigger CL matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

There's La Liga action in twenty minutes on Sky Sports Football as Leganes host Real Madrid. Team news:
    Leganes XI: Cuellar; Tito, Siovas, Bustinza, Diego Rico; Gabriel, Gumbau, Eraso; Omar Ramos, Beauvue, El Zhar.

Real Madrid XI: Kiko Casilla; Carvajal, Ramos, Varane, Theo Hernandez; Kovacic, Casemiro, Isco; Asensio, Benzema, Lucas Vazquez.

Zidane has rested Ronaldo while Modric, Kroos and Marcelo are said to be carrying injuries.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    So one guy praised Ronaldo for scoring 10 goals in 6 games, that some how riled you up and brought Messi into discussion and you talk about obsession and fanboyism?

I didn't bring Messi up lad!

Oh deary me friend. Can people not enjoy a player. Whats with the obsession in comparing him to Messi
    Cant we enjoy the two players, i know i do

YOU are the one comparing them, their goal-scoring that is, between this and the Champions League thread and I was questioning why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Leganes lead Madrid 1-0 via Bustinza.

Update: Not for long! Lucas Vazquez makes it 1-1.

Goal: Casemiro makes it 2-1. Fifteen minutes remaining in the first half.

Half-Time: Madrid lead at the break. Lucas Vazquez with a goal and an assist. Apparently only Ronaldo has been involved in more Madrid goals this year than him.

Penalty for Madrid in the final minute of normal time. Ramos will take it. And he scores.

Full-Time: Real win 3-1. Not their finest performance but they got the job done. Theo Hernandez impressed at times but I'd still worry for them playing PSG without Marcelo. I'm sure he'll be back by then though. Bale looked good when he came on as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Bale on the bench in 3 of the last 4 games.

Played decent this season too. Looks Real making a statement he is for sale in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Any side signing Bale should be wary with his injury record and age, hes 29 in the summer, and how much he depends on his pace and power.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Atleti's visit to Barca sunday week could blow the title race open again. Costa's presence seems to be making a difference there already. I feel every team in the world could do with a Diego Costa, he'll spill blood for you on the pitch and a huge character in the dressing room, pure scumbag too but in a charming I'll spit in your face but hug you after the match way. I'm his biggest fan.

• Advertisement

YOU are the one comparing them, their goal-scoring that is, between this and the Champions League thread and I was questioning why?

Im not comparing them. They are different players. I only ever mention Messi to Ronaldo when people slam the opposition Ronaldo scores against but Messi doing it is amazing

So what if he's one goal behind Messi? Whats the point exactly? You think Messi's greatness

Thats exactly what you said

You show everytime you talk about Ronaldo a level of childishness that is beyond hilarious

Atleti's visit to Barca sunday week could blow the title race open again. Costa's presence seems to be making a difference there already. I feel every team in the world could do with a Diego Costa, he'll spill blood for you on the pitch and a huge character in the dressing room, pure scumbag too but in a charming I'll spit in your face but hug you after the match way. I'm his biggest fan.

I like him to, hes like the bully in school but who picks on the big lads so secretly everyone loves him

Im not comparing them. They are different players. I only ever mention Messi to Ronaldo when people slam the opposition Ronaldo scores against but Messi doing it is amazing

So what if he's one goal behind Messi? Whats the point exactly? You think Messi's greatness

Thats exactly what you said

You show everytime you talk about Ronaldo a level of childishness that is beyond hilarious

You say they are different but are rating them by the same criteria.... goal scoring. Maybe people don't slam the opposition Messi scores against because they don't rave about Messi's goal scoring to begin with, nor rate him on that criteria alone, it's hardly ever mentioned as he has far more strings to his bow. If people are calling Messi amazing, they aren't referring to his goal scoring stats and ratio's......there's some food for thought!

11/7 now for Ronaldo amazing turn around in La Liga for him
    Is there a more inform player in the world right now, not for me there isnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

11/7 now for Ronaldo amazing turn around in La Liga for him
    Is there a more inform player in the world right now, not for me there isnt

Salah definitely.

Second half of the season Madrid, and Ronaldo are different beasts entirely. Normally their first half season is good enough to have them very close to the top of the league anyway, but this season they were dreadful (by their standards) in the league until recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Madrid 4 - 0 Alaves.

I see Ronaldo got 2, but was still on the pitch when Benzema got number 4, which would have been a hattrick for Ron. Wonder why he didn't take it?

Plus, from what I could make of the crazy commentary, it might have been Goal No. 300 for Ron in La Liga?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

NIMAN wrote: »
    Madrid 4 - 0 Alaves.

I see Ronaldo got 2, but was still on the pitch when Benzema got number 4, which would have been a hattrick for Ron. Wonder why he didn't take it?

Plus, from what I could make of the crazy commentary, it might have been Goal No. 300 for Ron in La Liga?

Was literally coming to ask the same question. Anyone here watching it know why he didn't take it as he was on the pitch looking at the team info on flash score

You'd like to think he was letting Benzema get a bit of confidence but that really doesn't sound like Ronaldo at all ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

By all accounts he did give it to Benzema, was probably fighting back tears doing it.

• Advertisement

Salah definitely.

Second half of the season Madrid, and Ronaldo are different beasts entirely. Normally their first half season is good enough to have them very close to the top of the league anyway, but this season they were dreadful (by their standards) in the league until recently.

Cant see Salah currently being better
    Hes had a better league season though

NIMAN wrote: »
    Madrid 4 - 0 Alaves.

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Im nearly certain it was so the BBC could all get a goal.

You'd like to think he was letting Benzema get a bit of confidence but that really doesn't sound like Ronaldo at all ha.

Sound what the media would have you think Ronaldo is :pac:
    Its quiet common place in football though, didnt Forlan get one for United when he was going through a bad spell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Cant see Salah currently being better
    Hes had a better league season though

You didn't say anything about better players, you said "in form". Salah has ridiculous form at the moment.

You didn't say anything about better players, you said "in form". Salah has ridiculous form at the moment.

I dont disagree with you dude. Currently being in better form i meant
    I love Salah and agree in great form 8 goals in 8 games. 12 goals in 7 is better for me so i cant agree hes currently playing better than Ronaldo
    Will be good to see the two of them together next year in Madrid :pac::pac:

Barca going for a record today
    Expect a hammering for poor Girona

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

L
    O
    L

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    L
    O
    L

Yikes :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Back to normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

I hope you are all watching this Messi performance. No one in this generation can do what he does, silly ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I dont disagree with you dude. Currently being in better form i meant
    I love Salah and agree in great form 8 goals in 8 games. 12 goals in 7 is better for me so i cant agree hes currently playing better than Ronaldo
    Will be good to see the two of them together next year in Madrid :pac::pac:
    Does goals have to equate to form?
    Mane has 4 goals in 2 games (and that could easily be 8 goals with some of the chances he missed). But his form has not been good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement