Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga 2017/18 Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Messi has been superb. Playing some wonderful passes. Good chance of a hat-trick you'd imagine. Suarez on for one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Messi is the best since Maradona.

No-one else even gets close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

How's Coutinho being doing at Barca ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Does goals have to equate to form?

It absolutely does, they're literally the biggest component in winning games. Having the intelligence and almost telepathic ability to always be in the right place at the right time may not look as good as the player who skins two players and puts it top corner but it's just as valuable to a team and there hopes of winning games.

Anyway what we're still thankfully seeing is two genius' at their craft continuing to stand out from the rest into their 30's.

Bret Hart wrote: »
    How's Coutinho being doing at Barca ?

Prettay good. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

What a goal that is by Coutinho. Great strike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Rekop dog wrote: »
    It absolutely does, they're literally the biggest component in winning games. Having the intelligence and almost telepathic ability to always be in the right place at the right time may not look as good as the player who skins two players and puts it top corner but it's just as valuable to a team and there hopes of winning games.

Anyway what we're still thankfully seeing is two genius' at their craft continuing to stand out from the rest into their 30's.
    But form doesn’t equal goals.
    A mid putting in repeated top performances, but without an assist/goal, doesn’t mean he’s not in top form. Roy Keane was great dominating midfield without the goals. Same as Javi.
    Goals = Goals.
    Form has many other factors.

A mid putting in repeated top performances, but without an assist/goal, doesn’t mean he’s not in top form. Roy Keane was great dominating midfield without the goals. Same as Javi.
    Goals = Goals.

Thanks for that compelling insight. We're not talking about defensive midfielders.

A strikers main task first and foremost is to be the leading provider of goals for his side. If he's doing that consistently at a goal per game rate he's very much in form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

6-1 for Barca and Suarez scored or assisted every goal!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Goals = Goals.

But were talking about two goal scoring wingers whos job is to well score goals
    So yes goals does mean form

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

irishman86 wrote: »
    But were talking about two goal scoring wingers whos job is to well score goals
    So yes goals does mean form

Nope.

Thanks for that compelling insight. We're not talking about defensive midfielders.
    You asked if anyone was in better form. You didn’t limit it to goals or strikers.
    Ronnie is in good form, playing well and scoring goals.
    Form doesn’t have to equal goals. Goals are stats. Form is judged by watching the player (as per Mane, who’s form isn’t good despite the goals).

I would say Salah’s form, or deGea, or De Bruyne; all who’s form has been great for months, would be ahead of Ronaldo.

You asked if anyone was in better form.

I didn't

And funny how all the players you mention are in one league.

I didn't
    Apologies, I thought it was you. But the question was "Is there a more inform player in the world right now". So that doesn't have to equate to goals or not include non-strikers.
    Not funny. Just pointing out some of the players that have been in great form all season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

JPA wrote: »
    6-1 for Barca and Suarez scored or assisted every goal!

Season of two halves (or maybe one third/two thirds) for him.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Nope.

Yes.

I didn't

Funny but i'm sure youve learned not shocking

Apologies, I thought it was you. But the question was "Is there a more inform player in the world right now". So that doesn't have to equate to goals or not include non-strikers.

I'm aware of that thanks, I think there's plenty of players in the argument this year(including some you've mentioned and others), and whoever has the biggest influence over where the Champions league goes and world cup will take the player of the year honours.

My only gripe was with you challenging that Ronaldo isn't in form which is a ludicrous argument imo.

My only gripe was with you challenging that Ronaldo isn't in form which is a ludicrous argument imo.
    As ludicrous as suggesting that was my argument; which I didn't make.
    So maybe I do need to make you aware of it.
    Ronnie is in good form, playing well and scoring goals.

• Advertisement

Not watching the game but apparently Diego Costa has had an eventful evening...

https://twitter.com/BGinge8/status/967857479249006592

Atleti's visit to Barca sunday week could blow the title race open again. Costa's presence seems to be making a difference there already. I feel every team in the world could do with a Diego Costa, he'll spill blood for you on the pitch and a huge character in the dressing room, pure scumbag too but in a charming I'll spit in your face but hug you after the match way. I'm his biggest fan.

28th minute: starts a fight, dives and gets a yellow
    29th minute: goal and knee slides in front of the Seville crowd.

So move love.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Im guessing Sevilla's home run is up in smoke now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sevilla are the arsenal of la liga at the moment. It's just impossible to know which side is going to show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭beya2009

It was pretty harsh Sevilla sacking their last coach. Always a gamble sacking the manager during the season and league form inconsistent. Atletico Madrid are doing really well and maybe they can push Barcelona close but they would have to beat Barca away from home and they still have some tricky away games to Real Madrid and Valencia and demands of Europa League playing on Thursday and then Sunday means it's a tough ask.

I saw the Barca home game against Girona and Messi was unplayable. I know it was inferior opposition but even at the age of 30 the guy is out of this world. I remember a couple of months ago sky pundit Tony Gale stated on premier league daily that Kevin De Bruyne was the best player in the world on current form but anything KDB does, Messi does it too and score more goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

beya2009 wrote: »
    I remember a couple of months ago sky pundit Tony Gale stated on premier league daily that Kevin De Bruyne was the best player in the world on current form but anything KDB does, Messi does it too and score more goals.

hes-talking-out-of-his-arse-you-know.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

I see carrasco and gaitan have been sold to some Chinese club with Wanda in their name, same name as their new stadium so I assume there is ties.
    I knew gaitan has pretty much been a flop but carrasco really fell out of the pecking order considering he scored in a champions league final for em only 2 years ago he always seemed a guaranteed starter for a long spell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

a757839f7d3dd9d91e63d2b45768fffd.png

Yeah well.... their accountants will not complain but careers.....

La Liga action tonight from 7 as Espanyol host Real Madrid. Game is on Sky Sports Mix. Team news:
    Espanyol XI: Diego Lopez; Navarro, David Lopez, Duarte, Aaron; Darder, Victor Sanchez, Carlos Sanchez; Sergio Garcia, Moreno, Piatti.

Real Madrid XI: Navas; Achraf, Ramos, Varane, Nacho; Isco, Llorente, Kovacic; Lucas Vazquez, Asensio, Bale.

No Ronaldo tonight. Benzema on the bench while Bale leads the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Some fairly sloppy stuff from Real.

They should be 1-0 down already with a goal incorrectly given as offside.

They've made a half-chance off a deflected cross but not much else.
    Bale has barely featured and Vasquez and Asensio are getting on the ball a bit but not affecting the game much.

• Advertisement

Yeah Espanyol will be very happy with things so far. 0-0 at Half-Time and Moreno unlucky to have his goal ruled offside. Madrid struggling to create much.

Interestingly Bale today equals Beckham's record of 116 games for most appearances by a British player in La Liga.

MORENOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Espanyol win it in injury time!

I'd say it's hard for Real to get motivated for league matches now. Won't win title but comfortably top 4 so there's little to play for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Yeah that's an absolute belter, possible slight deflection or no.

I like Gerard Moreno. I thought he did well last season too. I didn't realise some in Spain were calling for him to make the World Cup squad. That would be an interesting shout. I'm sensing Costa and Aspas would be nailed on to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

This season is great with Madrid doing so bad. Now to watch the highlights of this game ten times before I go to bed and revel in their disappointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd say theres extra pressure on Madrid to win the CL now but thats an understatement, surely they cant win it a 3rd time?

Theyve been a shambles in the league.

Theyre in no real danger of finishing below 4th but its unlikely that they'll catch Atletico in 2nd.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'd say theres extra pressure on Madrid to win the CL now but thats an understatement, surely they cant win it a 3rd time?

Theyve been a shambles in the league.

Theyre in no real danger of finishing below 4th but its unlikely that they'll catch Atletico in 2nd.

No fear of them catching Atletico
    They will end up third, everything is in the CL basket
    Madness to leave Ronaldo out, he has the ability to gloss over Madrids midfields performances

Looks like Griezmann is back :D
    At least Atletico are making the race for the title somewhat interesting

Looks like Griezmann is back :D
    At least Atletico are making the race for the title somewhat interesting

Lose their next game and there could be 10 in it with 10 to play. Atleti making a go of it but they haven't a hope IMO

• Advertisement

Lose their next game and there could be 10 in it with 10 to play. Atleti making a go of it but they haven't a hope IMO

:confused: right now they are four
    Using your logic it could be one point if Barca lose tomorrow and against Atletico its 1 point
    I think Atletico have every chance and are on a very good run in the league, Barca also have Chelsea to take care off

You are correct, they are four behind right now.

I find it amusing how you get confused so easily

:confused:

Of course, that could happen. Of course Barca might not win another game for the rest of the season. But. But! I gave ave my opinion based on what is probable, in my opinion. I don't think Atleti have it in them to gain enough points nor Barca to lose enough points for there to be any real concern.

You are correct, they are four behind right now.

I find it amusing how you get confused so easily

:confused:

Of course, that could happen. Of course Barca might not win another game for the rest of the season. But. But! I gave ave my opinion based on what is probable, in my opinion. I don't think Atleti have it in them to gain enough points nor Barca to lose enough points for there to be any real concern.

Im not confused at all buddy
    I find it funny myself how you dismiss a team in second and playing brilliant
    Your point was well pointless about them being ten points behind if they lose as of right now they arent they are 4 and in the race

Your point was well pointless about them being ten points behind if they lose as of right now they arent they are 4 and in the race

I think we've established that there's 4 points in the difference right now, we can probably move on from that now, buddy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

What a **** ****ing time to put on a game, half 7. I couldn't go because of work and as you can see not many other people either as the stadium is almost empty. Anyways Betis 0 sociedad 0 at half time. Seems fairly even from what ive seen. However I can see sociedad stealing it as Betis must be wrecked from monday.

Awesome free kick by Messi.

Great result for Las Palmas and Atletico
    Messi got man of the match on the US channel i watched when any of the Las Palmas team deserved it a whole lot more. Gotta love fan voted motm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

What was the penalty given for?

I'm not your buddy, guy :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Why Barca didn't play Coutinho & Dembele after last weekend is beyond me. Both help stretch the game too which is the weakness in the current side.

Advertisement