Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga 2017/18 Superthread

Comments

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I assumed he'd get 4 games, it was a nothing push.

Di Canios push was much more forceful, 2 hands and he had a meltdown at the time too going for Winterburn and a few other Arsenal players.

He got the minimum punishment. Probably right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Before he joined, I thought paulinho would be an excellent signing for spurs. He was pretty good for Brazil back then. Then he joined and flopped spectacularly. He's been rather good for Brazil again. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt to prove himself.

If I was a Barca fan I'd have more umbrage over signing Coutinho for hundred plus million than Paulinho for say 75 million. They badly need his type of player. Maybe not necessarily him but who else is actually available?

Only time will tell if he turns into the next Alex Song. Which to be fair would be some achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

blueser wrote: »
    Are we allowed to use language like that? Or is it a different rule for mods? Just looking for clarification, that's all. If we are, great.

What is wrong with it?
    I described the way he fell (look back at the clip M!Ck^ posted) not the man himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

https://www.instagram.com/p/BX3HP3_l1_Q
    cristiano Impossível ficar imune a esta situação, 5 jogos!!
    Parece-me exagerado e ridículo, isto chama-se perseguição!
    Obrigado aos meus companheiros pelo apoio e aos adeptos!!!
    Impossible to be immune in this situation, 5 games !!
    It seems to me exaggerated and ridiculous, this is called persecution!
    Thanks to my teammates for the support and the fans !!!

I don't give a crap about the persecution complex for refereeing decisions. The part I find pathetic is the attempted narrative to build the tax investiagations in CR7 as a persecution complex because of who he is. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's just wall to wall persecution complexes in Spain. It's very tiresome.

Arghus wrote: »
    It's just wall to wall persecution complexes in Spain. It's very tiresome.

Yup Barca fan:
    Blah blah refereeing conspiracy against Catalans. Madrid conspiracy against Messi for taxes.

Madrid fan.
    Anti Madrid conspiracy by refereeing officials. Government conspiracy funded by wealthy Catalans to vilify Ronaldo's tax affairs because of Messi's conviction.

They're both kind of pathetic tbh.
    Although in all fairness, the vast majority of these clubs fans see how cringy this stuff is too.

Wow, expecting this Barca the to take a whooping

Miles behind this Madrid team, even without Ronnie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Bad start! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Asensio what the actual ****.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Stunning goal from Asensio to open scoring for Madrid.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Wow, expecting this Barca the to take a whooping

Miles behind this Madrid team, even without Ronnie

Ha and bale Barca are in transition :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Golazo
    Real will dominate for the next few seasons in Spain
    The gap is massive between the squads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Messi & Suarez very isolated in this formation.

Doesn't suit Barca at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mad how quickly the gap between the two teams has opened up, especially with Madrid looking in a much healthier state going forward too. Good age range to build around.

League will still be close of course, as Barca will still batter the majority of the other teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Early days but it seems like there is a huge gulf now.

Messi looking very human without Xavi and co. Ronaldo could totally leave him behind despite his age

Madrid dominating here
    Some speed in attack

Should be two. Barca are clueless

Magic

What a goal, amazing team goal
    The pressure on the ball is relentless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Boom, way to easy. Barcelona clueless, awful awful defending

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Horrendous defending - great touch and finish by Benzema!

Benzima is in some serious form

Madrid really are so impressive these days. Asensio.. what a player. Barca must really be kicking themselves over missing out on him, haggling over what are effectively pennies compared to his current worth. Like Liverpool and Delle Ali.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Mad how quickly the gap between the two teams has opened up, especially with Madrid looking in a much healthier state going forward too. Good age range to build around.

League will still be close of course, as Barca will still batter the majority of the other teams.

I dont think the gap is as big as people think.

Barcelona beat Real at the Bernabeu in late April in the league,they gave them a footballing lesson that night to be honest ,they also beat them in Miami last month .

Real are going through a purple patch at the moment ,they are high on confidence ,Barcelona are hurting after the Neymar debacle .
    Players like Iniesta ,Busquets ,are not fit and Suarez is bang out of form (has been for all of 2017).
    They need a few key signings ,primarily a good centre back as Umtiti is rubbish .
    They also need to sort out the away form ,they look very lackadasical in matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

When will this dynasty end. I don't think football will ever be competitive again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Barcelona will only get worse. messi, Suarez, pique, busquets all 30. Iniesta even older. The transfers have been appallingly bad the last few years, underlined by the 40m signing of paulinho this week.

Gap is massive it psychologically big Madrid have so much going for them with their squad where as Barca just lost one of the Best players in the world coming into his peak it will effect the players and the manager has a massive job to turn it around.

I dont think the gap is as big as people think.

Barcelona beat Real at the Bernabeu in late April in the league,they gave them a footballing lesson that night to be honest ,they also beat them in Miami last month .

Real are going through a purple patch at the moment ,they are high on confidence ,Barcelona are hurting after the Neymar debacle .
    Players like Iniesta ,Busquets ,are not fit and Suarez is bang out of form (has been for all of 2017).
    They need a few key signings ,primarily a good centre back as Umtiti is rubbish .
    They also need to sort out the away form ,they look very lackadasical in matches.

The bolded part is what I agree with everything else I dont
    Iniesta and Busquets are fading out at the top nothing to do with fitness same as Pique
    They made signings last year and this and they have been sub par
    Umtiti is there only decent defender
    Barcelonas stars are aging and the replacements are meh
    Please dont count a friendly as that is just stupid :pac:

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Gap is massive it psychologically big Madrid have so much going for them with their squad where as Barca just lost one of the Best players in the world coming into his peak it will effect the players and the manager has a massive job to turn it around.

Already said losing Neymar would be a killer blow for Barca

Really did not want real to score first. Tie was effectively over in the fourth minute.

Barca media were in panic mode two weeks ago. Can't imagine what they'll be like tomorrow.
    Barca to sign Hazard and other impossible stories will emerge.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Already said losing Neymar would be a killer blow for Barca

And now Pique has gone off with a sore leg. Could be a few tough weeks ahead.

How is this trophy viewed over there? Like the charity shield? Or does it carry more weight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Why is the game being played so late in Spain.

It's mad how late the games are on on Spain I'm in Majorca and the bar is literally full with Spanish people glued to the game at 10 past 12 at midnight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Why is the game being played so late in Spain.
    It's mad how late the games are on on Spain I'm in Majorca and the bar is literally full with Spanish people glued to the game at 10 past 12 at midnight.

Was just about to say the same, the summer game KO's are mad at times. Presumably it the heat 29C as I type.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    How is this trophy viewed over there? Like the charity shield? Or does it carry more weight?

It's a clasico.

To real and Barca the trophy carries little weight. Except when the microscope is so heavily on one club. Really, Barca badly needed to win this meaningless trophy.

On that note, it's not a meaningless trophy. When Bilbao won it last year they went crazy. It was beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Was just about to say the same, the summer game KO's are mad at times. Presumably it the heat 29C as I type.

Maybe because there was champions league qualifiers on earlier. Probably can't show the game on TV while they're on .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Maybe because there was champions league qualifiers on earlier. Probably can't show the game on TV while they're on .

yea,cheers,that makes sence.

The Spanish stay up very late in general ,alot of them dont even go out drinking till midnight .
    Very few away fans too so they can schedule the matches late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Betis to draw with barca in the camp nou the weekend:-p

I always assumed it's to do with tv viewers. It's nothing new in spain for games to be on now even in la liga and the time fits in for USA audiences and eastern audiences that was always my take on it.

I always assumed it's to do with tv viewers. It's nothing new in spain for games to be on now even in la liga and the time fits in for USA audiences and eastern audiences that was always my take on it.
    Spaniards are living in the wrong time zone, and have been for more than 70 years.
    Glance at a map and you’ll realise that Spain – sitting, as it does, along the same longitude as the UK, Portugal and Morocco – should be in Greenwich Mean Time (GMT).
    In 1940, General Francisco Franco changed Spain’s time zone, moving the clocks one hour forward in solidarity with Nazi Germany.
    For Spaniards, who at the time were utterly devastated by the Spanish Civil War, complaining about the change did not even cross their minds. They continued to eat at the same time, but because the clocks had changed, their 1pm lunches became 2pm lunches, and they were suddenly eating their 8pm dinners at 9pm.

But for many Spaniards, living in the wrong time zone has resulted in sleep deprivation and decreased productivity. The typical Spanish work day begins at 9am; after a two-hour lunch break between 2 and 4pm, employees return to work, ending their day around 8pm. The later working hours force Spaniards to save their social lives for the late hours.
    Prime-time television doesn’t start until 10:30pm.
    http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20170504-the-strange-reason-spaniards-eat-late

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think there's a lot of unknowns and overblown reactions yet.

Three months ago Barcelona had the head-to-head and away wins at Madrid, Atletico, Bilbao, Sevilla and Valencia with manager all ready to go. Madrid fell over the line.

They were not that far away and arguably blew the league against lower teams. Now there's questions about a new manager and a replacement for Neymar and a massive gap.

They had plenty of half chances over the two legs but the combinations were not there yet, Suarez being especially dreadful.

Madrid scored three screamers, two late in the first leg and early in the 2nd leg, Barcelona didn't take their chances and duly lost. They really should've scored last night.

but let's hang all on there a moment on the cataclysms...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'd like to say that I feel sorry for Barcelona. But I don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

When will this dynasty end. I don't think football will ever be competitive again

They have eclipsed the Guardiola Barca side imo. Greatest team we've ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    They have eclipsed the Guardiola Barca side imo. Greatest team we've ever seen.

Win the Champions League three times in a row and there is no argument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Never mind what was on the pitch, just look at the subs and you know Real are a "bit" better off:

1944c88b8f87da56a15b064c59d90f3c.png

Real has a better midfield in Isco\Bale\Casimiro on the bench than Barca on the pitch

They will not dominate la Liga like Celtic dominates the Scottish league but they might well be able to start resting players in the league when the CL enters the 1/4 finals.

inforfun wrote: »
    Never mind what was on the pitch, just look at the subs and you know Real are a "bit" better off:

1944c88b8f87da56a15b064c59d90f3c.png

Real has a better midfield in Isco\Bale\Casimiro on the bench than Barca on the pitch

They will not dominate la Liga like Celtic dominates the Scottish league but they might well be able to start resting players in the league when the CL enters the 1/4 finals.

I may have used this word and could be considered strong. But I really do feel that that team is so far ahead in every aspect. Strength in depth. And Ronaldo / Bale didn't even play last night.

Isco \ Kovacic \ Modric \ Kross \ Ceballos \ Casemiro \ Asensio is arguably the best midfield selection in the world at current. (Youth & Experience)

dfx has been speaking of Barca last season but argument to be made that he / she wasn't considering that Madrid were still in the CL at that stage. Barcelona were knocked out by AM by then allowing them to have sole focus on La Liga.
    Madrid looked to have bigger fish to fry, and ended up winning 4 titles anyway.
    Oh and Barca had Neymar.

What would have scoring last night achieved anyway? Still losing the tie 5-1 on the night. And Madrid always looked like getting another, especially with the power and pace on the break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Era's come and go in football, although this is changing slightly as money comes into it more and more.

It looks like the golden Barca era is coming to an end. Coutinho isn't going to improve them dramatically. Messi isn't getting any younger and once he goes it doesn't look like they have much backup.

Madrid on the other hand seem to have discovered a few young gems, and it looks like they have a bright future ahead of them, even if Ronaldo leaves/retires in the next few years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement